Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recognise the area?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

My car got stolen pre-Christmas and I spotted it in a donedeal ad but I don't recognise the area at all. The phone number on the ad is out of service so no luck tracking the thief.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Contact the Garda and ask them to investigate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Garda are investigating.

There are plenty of stolen cars to look into, I'm trying to provide as much info as possible to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

You could try googling the phone number on the add, you might find other adds the seller posted with better photos. Sometimes they will have an additional phone numbers listed on an add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Mickah wrote:
    My car got stolen pre-Christmas and I spotted it in a donedeal ad but I don't recognise the area at all. The phone number on the ad is out of service so no luck tracking the thief.

Looks like everywhere in blanchardstown/castleknock/tyrellstown

simdan wrote: »
    Looks like everywhere in blanchardstown/castleknock/tyrellstown

It doesn't actually, I live in Blanchardstown and don't recognise anywhere in that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It listed as a dealership selling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mickah wrote: »

All help appreciated.

In picture 2 there is a for sale sign. Try see who its for then look on their website and see the area they sell in. If possible go through their listings and try find the house that looks similar to those in the photos.

Then you have an area at the very least and maybe even a estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

There is a minuscule chance that the uploaded image file may contain specific location metadata.

e.g. If taken with a modern GPS enabled SLR or newish mobile phone, then there is a chance that the exact location of photo is embedded in the image file.

The only thing is, it's very probable that the donedeal servers may automatically re-compress the image file to their own specs, which could include removal of xml type metadata.

No harm downloading any photos and searching with image editors or your OS for extra relevant data. Or request the original uploaded file from DD if they store it anywhere, they may also have IP Address ping information of the advertiser, which can also be located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Cant the Guards get DoneDeal to pass over the ip etc of the person who put up that ad? They are selling stolen property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

It looks to me to be the road that goes from Lucan to Newcastle......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Not to be funny but theres the guess the village/town thread over in the cool pic forum. They post google street views of areas and others have to guess where it is, while your posted pictures are far from ideal some of the folk over on that thread may be willing to help out and do some google searching of areas where they think it may be. I sure if you explain your situation you'll get people helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It looks like all three of those photographs have been chopped across the middle.

The upper part of the photo looks like it comes from a different photo to the lower part (which contains the registration).

The upper part of the photo is the part that shows where the location is, supposedly, so if that has been altered, the apparent location shown is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

looks very like a development called "The Ashes" in ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lollpop wrote: »

Looks like your right

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/47562?view=photos

Entry walls look exactly the same and for sale sign looks to be in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Wow good call, almost definitely it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

There is a minuscule chance that the uploaded image file may contain specific location metadata.

e.g. If taken with a modern GPS enabled SLR or newish mobile phone, then there is a chance that the exact location of photo is embedded in the image file.

The only thing is, it's very probable that the donedeal servers may automatically re-compress the image file to their own specs, which could include removal of xml type metadata.

No harm downloading any photos and searching with image editors or your OS for extra relevant data. Or request the original uploaded file from DD if they store it anywhere, they may also have IP Address ping information of the advertiser, which can also be located.

No chance. Donedeal images are shredded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

It looks like all three of those photographs have been chopped across the middle.

The upper part of the photo looks like it comes from a different photo to the lower part (which contains the registration).

The upper part of the photo is the part that shows where the location is, supposedly, so if that has been altered, the apparent location shown is not correct.

They certainly are all two photos badly rejoined. The location does look like The Ashes in Ashbourne where the top half of the photo was taken but not where the bottom half is.

See photo 11 here: http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/47562

Still worth checking out the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seller has a defective phone/camera, the same row of pixels is offset on each image, unlikely to be a 'shop job just a crap camera.

At first it looked a little like a place in Sandyford Ind estate, but its not I'm pretty sure.

Oh, contrast turned to 11 just incase:
    gzzGTnw.png

Looking at google maps, it looks like you could be very right there about The Ashes.

• Advertisement

Zombienosh wrote: »
    It listed as a dealership selling it?

Yeah, I spotted that too..

What's going on? Is it the same car?

Pan right and the buildings and walls of the estate across the road match.

ED E wrote: »
    Seller has a defective phone/camera, the same row of pixels is offset on each image, unlikely to be a 'shop job just a crap camera.

Yep, what you say looks correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

ED E wrote: »

At first it looked a little like a place in Sandyford Ind estate, but its not I'm pretty sure.

Oh, contrast turned to 11 just incase:
    gzzGTnw.png

Maybe you are right. I'll point out the following for what they are worth:

1. In the first photo, the kerbing on the right continues from the flower bed area by the wall, to encroach on to the entrance roadway.

2. The rear spoiler and aerial are visible in the third photo but not in the other photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Cheers lads, time for a run up to ashbourne.

The line across the photos is grand; it's from the screengrab software, didn't stitch it right.

Hopefully the dopey so and so's haven't moved the car.

I'll report back.

Good luck.

Mickah wrote: »
    Cheers lads, time for a run up to ashbourne.

The line across the photos is grand; it's from the screengrab software, didn't stitch it right.

Hopefully the dopey so and so's haven't moved the car.

I'll report back.

A dealer has it listed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

traprunner wrote: »
    Pan right and the buildings and walls of the estate across the road match.

100% that's it.

Pattern of the pillars matches up completely.

http://imgur.com/2GYRaVb

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/223/374507.png

Link to it for the OP please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I'll be passing the Ashs this evening and will spin in for a quick look

Advertisement