Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pension - where do I start?!

• 11-01-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

My employer told me this morning that the company has decided to start a pension for me - very welcome news! It's a startup so they told me to have a look and see what pension scheme I want to join. I do not have a clue!!! They said they'd pay 10% of my salary and I could pay around 6%.

I've never had a pension before so don't really know where to start!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Speak with an independent financial adviser who can take you through everything. Main things too look out for are allocation rate(monthly contributions paid in to the pension) and annual management charge(get that as low as possible) and also ask about any fees, if any, that may be incurred for their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Any suggestions on how much of my salary I should contribute? I'm 33 and earn €45K at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Is this your first pension or were you in one with a previous employer? I would be looking to put the max into it at this stage, your employer is giving a generous amount too. Again as was said before get advise on this if it is your first pension, fees can be crippling.

Is this your first pension or were you in one with a previous employer? I would be looking to put the max into it at this stage, your employer is giving a generous amount too. Again as was said before get advise on this if it is your first pension, fees can be crippling.

It is my first pension, yes. The maximum I can contribute is 20%. That seems crazy high...no?

20% is correct amount for you age group, the amount you can
    Up to 29 years 15%

30 to 39 years 20%

40 to 49 years 25%

50 to 54 years 30%

55 to 59 years35%

60 and over 40%

Again, you will need to get independent advice on this, they will advise you on all your options.

• Advertisement

forgot to say this is max amount you can contribute, you can select anything up to that amount its up to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

justback83 wrote: »
    It is my first pension, yes. The maximum I can contribute is 20%. That seems crazy high...no?

Not really. Americans generally get 10% from their employers and put 10% themselves into a pension. Is the company setting up a pension fund or do you have to find your own one?

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Not really. Americans generally get 10% from their employers and put 10% themselves into a pension. Is the company setting up a pension fund or do you have to find your own one?

It's a startup, I'll be the only one on the pension for a while. They've told me to have a look around and see if there's one I prefer then they will set it up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Any suggestions on how much of my salary I should contribute? I'm 33 and earn €45K at the moment...

The amount to contribute depends on your own circumstances i.e. married, kids, mortgage, how much disposable income do you have left over that you can put in to your pension, based on this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It's a startup, I'll be the only one on the pension for a while. They've told me to have a look around and see if there's one I prefer then they will set it up...

I would go to a fee based financial analyst to see what he recommends. If you go to a broker, they might suggest a company that they are friendly with rather than the best. Some pension companies here do far better than others.

If you read this article you will see pension performance varies greatly. Generally the same 2/3 companies in Ireland always give the best return. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/pensions-deliver-strong-returns-in-2015-despite-sour-end-to-year-1.2485884

• Advertisement
Advertisement