Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing records of psychiatric institutions

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

My great aunt spent most of her life in St Davnet's psychiatric hospital in Monaghan. I am told that she was sent there for being difficult as a teenager - the old Irish story of getting rid of anyone unorthodox and locking them up.

She passed away about twenty years ago. Are there records that can be accessed? Does her relatively recent death complicate access? I would be so grateful for any kind of a steer in terms of finding out more information.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You'll need to do a Freedom of Information request. First thing is to find out where the records are now.

Some details of one I did for Grangegorman are below. I had to provide details of my connection to the person. In this case, I am direct descendent. If your great-aunt has children/grandchildren, they might need to apply.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91097354

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Artdeco30

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

My great aunt was admitted in her teens and never got out so no children. She has siblings alive but they will have zero interest in applying for the records. Is that a problem in terms of me making an application, do you think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't know but you can surely get one of them to sign something saying you are working on their behalf if necessary?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Artdeco30

Mmm. My great aunt's siblings would prefer if all was left well alone and nobody asked any questions about the past.

Advertisement