Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting charged for GP visits while pregnant

Options
  • 11-01-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Recently moved to Dublin from the country and had to switch GP for my pregnancy. I was informed by my old GP I was entitled to a number of free GP visits due to the pregnancy, and because I had issues with prolactin in the past, I may be entitled to more. This is the first year I also do not qualify for a medical card.

I switched over to a new GP and got all my stuff transfered no problem. I was due a checkup on a Friday, but as I had a pregnancy related issue, I asked could I go in on Wednesday. I was told this was no problem, but when I arrived, they told me they would have to charge me because they had to keep my appointment on Friday still open. I paid them the 55 euro.

Then I went to a scan at the hospital. My fiance mentioned paying the GP to the doctor (as we thought it was weird) who was very surprised that they charged me. The doctor said she would be weary of the GP.

After much deliberation, we decided we would ask the GP for the money back as 55 euro goes a long way these days, especially with the baby coming in less than a month. Otherwise we probably would have said nothing in typical Irish fashion.

I went to another checkup today and mentioned it to the secretary who said she would reimburse me no problem. I was delighted until I went in to the doctor who said I wouldn't get it back. The GP said that because I came in before with a condition not relating to my ante-natal appointment (it was thrush brought on by the pregnancy, first time in my life) the visit wasn't free. She then said the doctor was highly misinformed who said I should get the visit for free. She topped it off by saying because I had a bit of a temperature, I should have to pay at this visit, but she would let me off this time.

Is this normal? Have I got it completely wrong in regards to the mother and infant care scheme? I feel like switching GPs again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes you've got it wrong.

If you are unwell, you pay for the appointment. The appointments that you get free are similar to what happen in hospital, doc should check your BP, weight, palpate you and if they have a doppler, listen to babies heart beat. You are entitled to five of these visits before birth (6 if it is a first pregnancy) and 2 after the birth with the baby.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html

The combined medical services are provided by your family doctor (GP) and a hospital obstetrician.

On your first pregnancy, the GP provides an initial examination, if possible before 12 weeks, and a further 5 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The schedule of visits may be changed by your GP and/or hospital obstetrician, depending on your individual situation. For subsequent pregnancies you will have an initial examination and a further 6 examinations.

If you have a significant illness, e.g. diabetes or hypertension, you may have up to 5 additional visits to the GP.

After the birth, the GP will examine the baby at 2 weeks and both mother and baby at 6 weeks.

Care for other illnesses which you may have at this time, but which are not related to your pregnancy is not covered by the Scheme.

You could argue that the trush was pregnancy related but in reality there's a chance it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To be fair, if I happened to show up with a bit of an extra problem at a maternity appointment, my GP would let it go and not charge.

If I made an appointment and tagged my maternity visit on to it, she would probably charge. Having said that, my GP is great that way, but I know of other friends who's GP's operate strictly by the book on these things, and yours sounds like one of those.

You should have 5/6 maternity appointments, at specific weeks during the pregnancy - think it's at 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 24 weeks, 32 weeks, possibly one in the 37-40 week period, then 2 afterwards. They send you the list when you register with your GP.

Be wary of your afterbirth appointments - there's 2 week one for baby ONLY and a 6 week one for mother and baby. My GP did look at a couple of things for me at the 2 week one (she offered to, as something was mentioned in conversation) and didn't charge, but again, I know of a friend who asked the GP to look at something for her and she was told no, the appointment was for the baby, not for her.

In some ways I can understand the GP's attitude because I can imagine that there are some people who completely try to take advantage of the free appointments and some GPs might get more exposure to that sort of thing than others. I try to always tell the receptionist when I'm booking that it's maternity, or maternity plus XYZ. That way they are forewarned.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

in my experience (in the South of the country not Dublin) anything i've brought up at a maternity appointment has been dealt with for free, we do not qualify for a gp card or a medical card,

i had high nitrates with no white blood cells at my 24 week GP visit it required antibiotics (only paid at the pharmacy) and 3 weekly follow up visits, all of these were free from my doctor,

at the 3rd follow up it was a week before my 28 week appointment so i asked if they minded combining the two anyway as the doctor had checked baby's heart beat, so i felt bad about coming back again the following week when everything checked out fine at 27 weeks,

in saying that though at one maternity appointment he did a follow up on my daughter due to an issue she had previously free,

likewise it was at her appointment i told him i was expecting and he did all the bloods and paper work then (he insisted even though i told him id make my own appointment), he charged me the normal rate for her appointment, and half the normal rate for my bloods, no charge for me,

to be honest i think the fact he's so flexible (looks out for all his patients rather than looking at the money) is one of the (many) things that make him an exceptional GP and not only keeps me coming back and the fact he has no problems with this flexibility makes him worthwhile imo as you will need a gp who is especially with children,

if yours is already causing you hassle, what if something happens (hopefully it won't but thats what GP's are essentially for) and you are stressed and not thinking about anything but your child? you won't want to be dealing with a pedantic doctor arguing about fee's then.

also the "free" gp visits are:

24 weeks
    28 weeks (except in the case of first pregnancy in which case it's a hospital one)
    30 weeks
    34 weeks
    37 weeks
    39 weeks

Advertisement