Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor Fees

Options
  • 11-01-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi

For buying an apartment the solicitor has charged his professional fee & then put these fees on top of that:

Land Registry Registration (open new folio) €600.00

Legal Agency/Mapping, Commissioner for Oaths €200.00
    Legal Searches (Judgement, Bankruptcy, Property
    Registry Authority)- est..

+ VAT @ 23%

Is this normal ? Is the land Reg @ 600 very high ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Stamp Duty @ 1% is charged

But then he adds VAT @ 23% onto this stamp duty... Is this correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

€600 is the cost for land registry from 50k to 200k value.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fees available here:

http://www.prai.ie/fees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/solicitors.html#section7
    There's a very confusing bit in here saying the stamp duty and land registry fees are not liable to VAT and then if there's VAT charged by the supplier. Not really sure on this one, maybe someone else has more experience with the tax on solicitor's bills.

harry999 wrote: »
    Stamp Duty @ 1% is charged

But then he adds VAT @ 23% onto this stamp duty... Is this correct ?

My bill was split into 3 parts:

1. Professional fees and miscellaneous charges (photocopying, postage, etc.) plus 23% VAT.

2. Taxes and outlays payable to government agencies (property registration, searches, folio, etc.) with NO added VAT.

3. Stamp Duty with NO added VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I've been told between 1500 and 2000 for solicitor and then your 1% stamp duty. Would that be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

that's correct. Most of the fees are fixed. When you see a Solicitor advertising a price , it's normally excluding the fixed fees. We paid 2.2k so sounds about right.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I've been told between 1500 and 2000 for solicitor and then your 1% stamp duty. Would that be correct?

Depends on where you are. My solicitor came highly recommended so I used her even though she wasn't local to me. She was fantastic, particularly when the purchase hit some problems.

Her fees were @ €1,300 including everything in section 1 of my previous post.

Depends on where you are. My solicitor came highly recommended so I used her even though she wasn't local to me. She was fantastic, particularly when the purchase hit some problems.

Her fees were @ 1,300 including everything in section 1 of my previous post.
    Add your reply here.
    That's excellent, I'm in north county cork. I've only had the figures given by people here. Would it be worth while ringing up solicitors to see prices and so on now? Even though we are yet to get approval which a month to 8 weeks away. Still saving for the last few thousand to be sorted

Add your reply here.
    That's excellent, I'm in north county cork. I've only had the figures given by people here. Would it be worth while ringing up solicitors to see prices and so on now? Even though we are yet to get approval which a month to 8 weeks away. Still saving for the last few thousand to be sorted

To be perfectly honest, I'd worry less about saving a couple of hundred Euros and try to find a good recommendation.

By all means, do shop around as the prices can vary. But if you can get a good recommendation from someone who has used the solicitor, it can make all the difference.

• Advertisement

Perfect I'll look into it. I'd rather pay for a good one. A few hundred euros for peace of mind and good service will be worth it. So if anybody knows of good solicitors in the mallow Kanturk area. Let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

This is invoice:

Re- Professional Fees- Instructions, Advices,
    Consultations.
    Reduced Professional fee- €950.00

Stamp Duty @ 1% €1,850.00

Land Registry Registration (open new folio) €600.00

Legal Agency/Mapping, Commissioner for Oaths €200.00
    Legal Searches (Judgement, Bankruptcy, Property
    Registry Authority)- est..

Vat @ 23% all of the above

So should this be split into:

1. Professional fees and miscellaneous charges (photocopying, postage, etc.) plus 23% VAT.

2. Taxes and outlays payable to government agencies (property registration, searches, folio, etc.) with NO added VAT.

3. Stamp Duty with NO added VAT.

with no VAT on the stamp duty ? Thanks

Yeah there's no vat on stamp duty, you'd be rightly screwed if there was and plus it would be an absolute joke.

Got a great price from my parents solicitor today 700 plus vat that's great value and is a very good solicitor

Advertisement