Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Help

Options
  • 11-01-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks! I've decided that even though i can't afford it, i'm upgrading my GPU.

As it currently is, i have
    - Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    - ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    - 8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL10
    - PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 V2, 2GB GDDR5

My "budget" is €200 up to €250 max (as i want to also double my RAM).

I was looking at the following; Powercolor Radeon R9 380, Gigabyte R9 380 Gaming, and the MSI R9 380 Gaming.

I've decided to stick with AMD over nVidia, for no particular reason. Now, my limited GPU knowledge makes me lean towards the MSI one, but i'm looking for any help or other suggestions to help me out, seeing as 4GB GPU's are starting to appear in minimum spec recommendations.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Moved across to Pc Building & Upgrading, as the folks here will know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is the ram budget separate to that 250? Going from 8 to 16GB ram will show no benefit in games whatsoever, so it'd be better to put the money towards a card. The R9 380 is a solid upgrade, but something like an R9 290/390 would be a titanic one. The 7850 will get about 70 back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Of the 3 cards listed, I'd go with the MSI one as its cooler is pretty much best in class by a long way. Running a MSI R9 280X myself and its whisper quite and cools like a champ.

Saying that, unless you absolutely need a new GPU asap, I would save up for a 290/390 or GTX 970 as the difference will not only be massive now but add's a good deal more time before needing to upgrade GPU again.

Upgrading your ram is pointless at this stage and money can be spent elsewhere imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is the ram budget separate to that 250? Going from 8 to 16GB ram will show no benefit in games whatsoever, so it'd be better to put the money towards a card. The R9 380 is a solid upgrade, but something like an R9 290/390 would be a titanic one. The 7850 will get about 70 back as well.

Was going to get the ram separate but if it's not necessary just now, i can hold on another while! Might have to hold off until i can get a 390 so.
    Venom wrote: »
    Of the 3 cards listed, I'd go with the MSI one as its cooler is pretty much best in class by a long way. Running a MSI R9 280X myself and its whisper quite and cools like a champ.

Saying that, unless you absolutely need a new GPU asap, I would save up for a 290/390 or GTX 970 as the difference will not only be massive now but add's a good deal more time before needing to upgrade GPU again.

Upgrading your ram is pointless at this stage and money can be spent elsewhere imho.

Was going to upgrade now to play the more modern games coming up, with the intention of getting a high end one at some stage this year. But if i'm better off waiting, i might just do that. And the ram can wait too, if it's not necessary at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Until you hit the wall where you can't play current games I wouldn't worry to much as most AAA games are designed to be run on consoles so even older PC hardware can run them well with ease.

Both AMD and Nvidia are due to launch there next gen GPU's this year which should be a major boost performance wise to current gen cards so well worth waiting if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement