Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal Behaviour Courses

• 11-01-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am really interested in doing a (proper) animal behaviour courses etc.. not too sure where to start can anyone point me in the right direction?

Has to be part time as I work full time etc

Thanks a million

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hey Cocker,

I am currently doing Canine studies diploma via compass in the uk. Its distance learning so suits my time constraints. After that I have a semi intensive canine behavior and training course with elista. It is meant to be one of the best available in Ireland. That one is 4 days in the classroom in one set and follow up in the summer, but as far as I am aware they offer it in a distance learning format too. If you like Pm me and I can send you on the details. Also ani-ed are doing courses too but again I think they are classroom based, might be the weekend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ElKavo wrote: »
    Hey Cocker,

I am currently doing Canine studies diploma via compass in the uk. Its distance learning so suits my time constraints. After that I have a semi intensive canine behavior and training course with elista. It is meant to be one of the best available in Ireland. That one is 4 days in the classroom in one set and follow up in the summer, but as far as I am aware they offer it in a distance learning format too. If you like Pm me and I can send you on the details. Also ani-ed are doing courses too but again I think they are classroom based, might be the weekend though.

Thanks a million much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Hi OP, have you checked out AniEd? Im currently doing a course with them. Their website is very helpful and will most definitely point you in the right direction!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I suppose a lot depends on what you want to get out of it OP... is it for your own personal development, or are you thinking of getting into dog training?
    Either way, I think one really important element of any such course is that they have a practical element to them, which usually means travelling to a central location where you get to put all of the theory you've learned on the rest of the course into practise! Theory-only courses really don't leave the student with the same application of knowledge and skills, but perhaps this isn't such a big deal if you already have good practical skills.
    However, for anyone wanting to get into professional dog training or behaviour, I would discount any course where you don't get the practical tuition as well as grinding through the theory.
    There is also a bit of a tendency amongst these courses to be ferociously expensive, and I'm not convinced that they're necessarily worth the money they charge.
    The Elista courses kinda cover all of the above: comprehensive, geared towards people who can only devote X amount of time (there are more intensive versions available too), practical weekends (bring your own dog!), and quite a bit cheaper than any other courses I've seen available either here or further afield. They're underwritten by Compass Education, a highly-respected course provider based in Scotland.
    Ani-Ed have a couple of courses with practical work included too. They have OCN accreditation.
    Such courses are hard enough work though! I think people can be a little shocked at how much theory they have to learn before they get to do the fun stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks for all your replies guys i do appreciate it

I suppose for me its just my first love in life has always been animals and dogs in particular - so i suppose it would be so i can learn more and develop myself etc

Ill take a look at all your suggestions over the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

DBB wrote: »
    think people can be a little shocked at how much theory they have to learn before they get to do the fun stuff!

Tell me about it, LOL.

Advertisement