Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage application and calculation criteria

Options
  • 11-01-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I will be applying for a mortgage in the next 6-8 weeks and just want to have an idea at the range I will be looking at.

Specifically if people know:
    3.5 LTI ratio:
    My OH is a nurse - does anyone know how they treat the additional income over basic salary - i.e. Unsociable hours (nights), weekends etc - I am not talking about overtime here. Is all/some of it excluded even though it is essentially guaranteed income due to the nature of the work? I would think a % is excluded but not the full amount.

Income available to service mortgage:
    1. Is €1,000 per adult the amount taken from net income - (figure from memory of reading somewhere).
    2. How much per child (have none currently but want to plan for having one in the near future) - from memory I have an amount of €250 per child in my head. I would expect it could/should be higher but have that figure in my head for some reason.

Stress test: Is 2% above the current standard variable rates still the approximate range used for stress testing an application for repayment capacity - using 6.5% in my own calculations currently.

Savings: We are FTB - have 20% saved for deposit. There were some unexpected expenses recently and I had to take money out of saving 2 of the last 6 months (approx. €500 each time) while still keeping above a certain amount saved each month. For example: saving €1,500 per month on top of rent but took €500 out twice.

Will it just be a case that they will say that my savings are €1,000 per month or will it be a red flag/black mark on an application?

I (with my green tinted glasses on) don't foresee us having a problem getting a mortgage or servicing it over the long term but just want to make sure we tick all the boxes prior to applying so that I can temper the OH expectations.

Comments

Advertisement