Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Licence at 17

• 11-01-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I turned 18 a couple of months ago however when I was 17 a TV licence inspector called to my house I told her my mother was not in and she took down my name(my mistake was giving my name) anyway I got a court summons in the post a few weeks later for non payment and my mother called and asked for it too be changed too her name which they agreed too and that was that. However today I received a 300 euro fine in the post for non payment is this legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just ring them back and tell them it should be your mother's fine.

They won't care as long as it's paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I turned 18 a couple of months ago however when I was 17 a TV licence inspector called to my house I told her my mother was not in and she took down my name(my mistake was giving my name) anyway I got a court summons in the post a few weeks later for non payment and my mother called and asked for it too be changed too her name which they agreed too and that was that. However today I received a 300 euro fine in the post for non payment is this legal?

You can't recent a fine if you haven't been to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kneemos wrote: »
    You can't recent a fine if you haven't been to court.

you can if the case goes to court and you dont turn up. you get found guilty in your absence.

you can if the case goes to court and you dont turn up. you get found guilty in your absence.

Ah right,missed the summons bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just ring them back and tell them it should be your mother's fine.

They won't care as long as it's paid.

That's what was done months ago , does not seem to have done much , I'll try ring again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

A court fine is written in stone,doubt you can go changing names on it.
    The court clerk may be able to fill you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your mother asked that the summons be changed into her name and they agreed, so was she expecting the original summons to be cancelled and reissued in her name or why didn't she go to court?

You're now beyond the point where this problem can be fixed with a phone call. If the fine isn't paid, the court will issue a warrant to the local Garda warrant officer to collect the fine or, in default (you refuse or can't pay), lodge you to Mountjoy prison to serve a sentence indicated on the warrant (probably 7 days). If that (Mountjoy) happens you will be held in a waiting room for a few hours and then sent home. The only way to get the fine cancelled now is to appeal it though the District Court people tend to wait a few weeks before informing you of the fine and at that stage the time for lodging an appeal (to the Circuit Court) has passed.

So..... your options now are as follows: (1) pay the fine (2) wait a few weeks or months for the Garda to arrive in an official car and do a quick round trip to Mountjoy or (3) brief a solicitor to apply to have the time for lodging an appeal extended so that you can lodge an appeal, then (assuming the application is successful) go to the Circuit Court and argue your case though at that stage the €300 fine will look like the better option as the legal fees will quickly pass it out and there will still be the possibility of losing the appeal and getting the same or a higher fine in the Circuit Court.

Pay the fine.

Advertisement