Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky vs Virgin (UPC)

Options
  • 11-01-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of switching from Virgin (UPC) to Sky.

Sky has a far better TV service and quiet a bit cheaper, but I am concerned about a drop in broadband quality.

Does anyone here have any idea if Sky's broadband service is anywhere close to Virgin's standard in Galway City.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My parents have Sky out in Oranmore and it's excellent, technically a bit slower than UPC in town but nothing worth writing about. Not sure if the official figure is 100or 120GB, but the day to day connection is about 90mb, and never had any issues while using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

I was thinking of switching from Virgin (UPC) to Sky.

Sky has a far better TV service and quiet a bit cheaper, but I am concerned about a drop in broadband quality.

Does anyone here have any idea if Sky's broadband service is anywhere close to Virgin's standard in Galway City.

Switched to SKY last year and good service so far. Found UPC/Virgin customer care severely lacking. As for Broadband speed, While it is lower i haven't had any issues downloads are as fast as they were with UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Before switching to SKY for tv I'd say consider where you are living. I live somewhere that seems to take the brunt of windy nights and myself and neighbours who had Sky have had to get rid of it as every breeze night ended up with loss of signal and the dish needing to be adjusted. It turned into an absolute pain and a rather expensive one.

Before switching to SKY for tv I'd say consider where you are living. I live somewhere that seems to take the brunt of windy nights and myself and neighbours who had Sky have had to get rid of it as every breeze night ended up with loss of signal and the dish needing to be adjusted. It turned into an absolute pain and a rather expensive one.

A dish shouldn't move that easily if its secured correctly, I've seen some serious wind not have any effect on the dish at home or places I rent. Heavy rain is the only thing I've seen cause loss of signal and that would be very rare and only for a few mins.

Also you can buy a signal finder yourself fairly cheap they are very easy to use and lining the dish would only take mins using it once you are used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

My dish survived Frank!! one hell of a twister that was :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement