Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting without Notice

Options
  • 11-01-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok so I'm a college student in 23 hours a week . I started the Job back in November 25th . I was due to be paid on the 22nd and wasn't paid due to a mistake (apparently ) , I was travelling 4 hours in total just to get to the job and even though I was on a 10hr contract ( I never signed any contract) I was working 12 -16 almost immediately . I left last week due to exams and I really didn't feel comfortable working there due to the way the manager acts etc they made me feel extremely guilty if I ever said I couldn't make it in ( even if I made up the hours and covered others ). I am due up to 100hrs of pay , is there many negatives besides a bad reference and being ex communicated from the firm ? I know I breached contract but surely witholding wages for two months is also.
    Any advice would be great as this is only
    My second job I don't really know what to do.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I really didn't feel comfortable working there due to the way the manager acts etc they made me feel extremely guilty if I ever said I couldn't make it in

What ever about anything else you say this kind of attitude is the reason we have wrapped up a decades old policy of recruiting at least one grad every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jguckian

Thanks for the great advice mitresize5.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Madra98

I'm no expert, but from a recent experience the time spent travelling is irrelevant - you chose to take the job, they didn't force you to take it.

From my own experience you're best to just be the bigger man/woman in this situation. Get dressed up, go in, explain your situation, be polite, look them in the eye, and wish them the best. If there is a week of leave needed just do it - you're only working 20hrs so that's only 2 1/2 days anyway. Whatever they do or say is their business, they can't accuse you of being cowardly or underhanded, all they can say is you faced the situation down and were upfront.

Trust me on this, from a good story a mod shared with me on my post - and from my own experience, where a friend fell out with a girl very badly in a business that both worked in (he was seeing her). He left in a huff, started in another business, had issue with that business and complained to head office only to find out that the sister of the girl he screwed over was top brass in the new company. He was told to go swivel on a stick when she saw his name on the complaint.

Be honest, upfront. Ask for the money that is due to you as you did work for it, and be the bigger person. If they say no get onto Citizen's Advice or go higher. But don;t burn any bridges, the butterfly effect in Ireland is very strong. All your co-workers know many people socially and they will talk about you - give them only good, dignified things to say about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I really didn't feel comfortable working there due to the way the manager acts etc they made me feel extremely guilty if I ever said I couldn't make it in

What ever about anything else you say this kind of attitude is the reason we have wrapped up a decades old policy of recruiting at least one grad every year.

We got burned by this a few times.

We now never hire anyone who doesn't have a strong reference, no grads need apply.

@OP: You're really going to act surprised when the management are angry with you not turning up for work? Really?

Advertisement