Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes dauphinoise

Options
  • 11-01-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

So how do you prefer to make yours, with waxy or with floury potatoes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Just finished the leftover dauphinoise potatoes for the dinner this evening. Made it yesterday with floury spuds in the oven for 2 hours at a low heat. I read that over 160c will split the cream, hence the low and slow approach. Very rich, but so worth it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Minder wrote: »
    Just finished the leftover dauphinoise potatoes for the dinner this evening. Made it yesterday with floury spuds in the oven for 2 hours at a low heat. I read that over 160c will split the cream, hence the low and slow approach. Very rich, but so worth it.

Recipe please!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Minder wrote: »

Mmmmm, I love the leftovers the next day! I usually make mine with waxy potatoes because I thought the floury ones would just go to mush. Do they stay reasonably intact Minder and do you precook them in the cream/milk first or just put them straight into the baking dish ? Good point about the temperature too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Recipe is simplicity. 1 kg of potatoes peeled and sliced thinly. 4 cloves of garlic. 500ml double cream. Full fat milk. I heat the cream to boiling point and add the crushed garlic. Butter an oven proof dish and add a couple of layers of potatoes. Season well with salt and pepper then add some of the garlic/cream. Repeat the layering, seasoning and adding the cream until all the potatoes are in the dish. Top with the milk so that the liquids are just under the potato. then bake at 150/160c for a couple of hours. After an hour, squash the layers with a fish slice and return to the oven. Test with a knife, it should be soft.

I used maris pipers, they didn't turn to mush and no pre cooking was needed. Heating the cream helps get it going.

I will give it a go with the maris pipers, see if I prefer them to my usual waxy variety for a change and I will definitely use your recipe for that Minder, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Maris pipers in LIDL 3.29 for 2.5 kgs

That's a good reason for me to try them out this weekend. I might even commit sacrilege and add some gruyere cheese to the recipe too !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I far prefer waxy potatoes, I like the layers to be distinct rather than all mushing together. I usually do them on a mandolin as well, so the slices are pretty thin, and if I use floury potatoes it just turns to mush. Tbh I'm not sure where Maris Pipers sit on the waxy <->floury scale though.

I'm also a proponent of using a minimal amount of garlic ... I just cut a clove in two and rub it on the inside of the dish to impart a very subtle garlic flavour. 4 cloves of garlic in the dish itself would result in something with an intensity of garlic flavour more like pub style "creamy garlic potatoes" I'd imagine, which is OK, but a different dish IMO.

I have always used waxy ones too Alun and for the same reason although Minder has said the turning to mush thing doesn't happen with his recipe so I'm keen to give it a try. I also use a mandolin and may slice them thicker than I would usually do which may help to keep the pieces separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

use waxy ones, slice the potatoes very thinly, soak them, then dry them properly on a few kitchen cloths before using in your dish for best results.

• Advertisement

So last night I tried the dauphinoise with floury instead of my usual waxy. I also adapted a few other parts of my usual recipe having had some good ideas on here.

Maris Pipers sliced thin on a mandolin (or food processor slicing attachment)
    The slices are rinsed well and then covered in cold water until ready to use, swirling them around to get rid of excess starch.
    Put 2/3 milk and 1/3 double cream in a saucepan and add two cloves of garlic that are kept whole but just crushed with the back of a knife. Bring to a boil.
    Butter the base of a baking dish so the potatoes don't stick.
    Dry the potatoes well in a tea towel, put them back in the bowl and season with salt and pepper and a small amount of freshly grated nutmeg.
    Put the potatoes into the buttered baking dish and then slowly pour on the boiling milk/cream (discard the garlic) until it barely comes to the top of the potatoes.
    Dot the top with pieces of butter.
    I baked at 180c for 50 mins and they were perfectly ready but one of my guests arrived 45 mins late so the potatoes sat very happily in a very low oven for that time waiting with no ill effect.
    I recommend putting the baking dish on a tray in the oven in case of overspill!
    They were delish and this will be my alternative to potatoes boulangere when I'm feeling a bit indulgent. Thanks for all your suggestions folks!

Advertisement