Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slightly gross dog problem

• 11-01-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I have two cocker spaniel dogs with anal gland issues. The oldest is a 2.5 year old female. She is spayed and not overweight. She is at the stage where she needs to have her glands expressed every 1-2 months. We have her on Burns Weight Management food because it was suggested that the higher fibre content might help, but it's not so far.

The younger one is a six month old male. About two weeks ago he started scooting around the floor. We wormed him, but he kept doing it. After three days he got to the stage where he couldn't sit down without yelping and was very out of sorts. Took him to the vet and he had very full anal glands - which is apparently unusual for a dog so young. He's on Burns Puppy Junior. His poo is very soft. Vet says to bring him back in a month to see if his glands are full again. She also said some dogs just need to go in every couple of weeks to have their glands manually expressed.

We've tried Acana, Orijen and Royal Canin foods. They get fed their recommended allowance of food over three sittings during the day and we've started putting a teaspoon of bran powder on each meal, hoping it might help. Is this just the luck of the draw, or are we doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue? Our last dog never one had this problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If this is something that's going to recur very regularly X 2 is it something you can learn to do yourself instead of going to a vet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

If this is something that's going to recur very regularly X 2 is it something you can learn to do yourself instead of going to a vet?

I guess so. I was just wondering if there was something that could be done to try to stop them from having this problem, as I don't like to see them in discomfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I guess so. I was just wondering if there was something that could be done to try to stop them from having this problem, as I don't like to see them in discomfort.

Some dogs are just prone to it, unfortunately. The bran meal should help, I was recommended All Bran by the vet. Are their stools always very soft? If so, a change of food might be in order, unfortunately.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Some dogs are just prone to it, unfortunately. The bran meal should help, I was recommended All Bran by the vet. Are their stools always very soft? If so, a change of food might be in order, unfortunately.

It does seem to generally be quite soft. Maybe I will add All Bran instead of meal. It's hard to get it into them given its powdery texture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Consider giving her a raw bone. Her poos will be like bullets, and help clear those glands. We try to give our lab a raw bone every fortnight - otherwise the smell gets a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have two cocker spaniel dogs with anal gland issues. The oldest is a 2.5 year old female. She is spayed and not overweight. She is at the stage where she needs to have her glands expressed every 1-2 months. We have her on Burns Weight Management food because it was suggested that the higher fibre content might help, but it's not so far.

The younger one is a six month old male. About two weeks ago he started scooting around the floor. We wormed him, but he kept doing it. After three days he got to the stage where he couldn't sit down without yelping and was very out of sorts. Took him to the vet and he had very full anal glands - which is apparently unusual for a dog so young. He's on Burns Puppy Junior. His poo is very soft. Vet says to bring him back in a month to see if his glands are full again. She also said some dogs just need to go in every couple of weeks to have their glands manually expressed.

We've tried Acana, Orijen and Royal Canin foods. They get fed their recommended allowance of food over three sittings during the day and we've started putting a teaspoon of bran powder on each meal, hoping it might help. Is this just the luck of the draw, or are we doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue? Our last dog never one had this problem.

I have a cocker too, 5 years ago when he was on Burns he too had to have his glands emptied... vet recommended the following and he's never had them done again:

1 x tablespoon of salmon oil daily in their food - great for anal glands, joints, coat and over all health

1 x 2 days per week a handful of all bran (the twigs) or bran flakes (dry no milk)

Worked a treat he's never looked back.

also i moved my guy over to taste of the wild...

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

http://www.zooplus.ie/esearch.htm#q%3DTaste%2520of%2520the%2520Wild%26catl%3D4%26cats%3D1Dog%257C2Dry%2520Dog%2520Food%257C3Taste%2520of%2520the%2520Wild

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zulu wrote: »
    Consider giving her a raw bone. Her poos will be like bullets, and help clear those glands. We try to give our lab a raw bone every fortnight - otherwise the smell gets a bit much.

This is the answer to most anal gland problems.
    A raw chicken wing or thigh each every couple of days should really help. Either is size appropriate for most Cookers.
    I worry about giving bran to dogs with digestive issues. Bran (and products containing it) causes more problems than it solves unless a conscious effort is made to drink plenty of fluids with it. Will dogs do that?! For me at least, bran just doesn't sit into what I'd consider to be good food to feed dogs, in that it just feels wrong to feed it to them... But that's just me! For similar reasons, I don't like Burns. It's too close to being a vegetarian diet for dogs.
    The natural "fibre" in a carnivorous diet consists of bones, sinew, tendons, cartilage, fur, feathers etc. If I were going to bulk out roughage, I'd be opting for either cooked and mashed veg, or raw and grated veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Our dog had this problem for a long time and had to go on antibiotic and pain killers an awful lot so in the end the vet recommended removal of the glands. It was awful looking at him recover. Definitely wouldn't recommend it unless it's a last resort but it has worked so far. Happy healthy dog with no gland problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

a raw chicken wing as previously mentioned is fantastic for keeping the anal glands sorted (havent tried thighs) I had a couple of foster dogs with major anal gland issues, a chicken wing every other day - which they loved - sorted it pronto. DEFINATELY worth a try OP, and a really healthy solution for your dogs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

DBB wrote: »
    This is the answer to most anal gland problems.
    A raw chicken wing or thigh each every couple of days should really help. Either is size appropriate for most Cookers.

Oooooh! Are whole raw chicken thighs ok to feed? I read somewhere that the little sharp bone beside the thigh bone could pierce the dog's mouth so I've been digging through the raw thigh to find it and pull it out.

If I'm being overly cautious I'm going to get hours of my life back!!

• Advertisement

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Oooooh! Are whole raw chicken thighs ok to feed? I read somewhere that the little sharp bone beside the thigh bone could pierce the dog's mouth so I've been digging through the raw thigh to find it and pull it out.

If I'm being overly cautious I'm going to get hours of my life back!!

Lol! I feed the whole leg to my GSDs... I think the small bone (fibula) is in the drumstick part of the leg, the thigh (femur) is just one big bone?
    The way I view it is that there's a risk in everything. The risk of my dogs injuring themselves when eating chicken legs is there, but it's small, and the benefits they get outweigh the risk. That said, they're good at eating bones... I might be more concerned if I owned a dog that was inclined to gorge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I feed duck wings and find them great for firming things up and cleaning their teeth. Chicken wings are too small for my two and get swallowed whole and I don't like to feed chicken so the duck wings are prefect! We never have AG issues. I know a few people who have to take their dogs to get their glands emptied all the time (all on prescription dry food)...they balk at the thought of giving a drumstick etc...but have no problem with AG juice on their upholstery :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Lol! I feed the whole leg to my GSDs... I think the small bone (fibula) is in the drumstick part of the leg, the thigh (femur) is just one big bone?

I've definitely been digging through the thigh for a sharp bone... but a quick google of chicken skeletons has me convinced that I'm mad and that it doesn't even exist.

This is brilliant news. Thanks! :D

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've definitely been digging through the thigh for a sharp bone... but a quick google of chicken skeletons has me convinced that I'm mad and that it doesn't even exist.

This is brilliant news. Thanks! :D

Heh heh, thanks for the laugh :D
    There is a very thin little bone down in the drumstick alright, it's the equivalent of our calves... The bit between our knees and ankles. The big bone's the tibia, the little one the fibula. But one of the great things about chicken bones is they're so soft that they're easily chewed into safe bits, and easily digested.
    I think it's worth pointing out that just because a couple of us have suggested chicken wings for the Op's...er... problem, the same goes for chicken legs, duck's wings etc. I always say it on these threads... Match the bone to the dog, size-wise. Wings, drumsticks and thighs are good for cocker-sized dogs, the whole leg is good for bigger dogs. With smallies, chicken wings are usually apt, though they can be further hacked down into their 3 sections for the really smallies and pups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I have a similar problem with my CKCx . I add some 'Pro Fibre' to her evening meal and it has sorted it. I got it from the vet costs about €13e for the tub.

I would prefer to use the chicken wing method but know I wouldnt keep them in stock. Someone else has suggested that I use veg that is high in fiber like sweet potato but havent looked into that yet and would have similar issues re having it around.

Is this a breed issue as I had a spaniel cross before and she had it where as my collie x and collie or greyhounds for that matter never had or have any issues

Inexile wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with my CKCx . I add some 'Pro Fibre' to her evening meal and it has sorted it. I got it from the vet costs about €13e for the tub.

I would prefer to use the chicken wing method but know I wouldnt keep them in stock. Someone else has suggested that I use veg that is high in fiber like sweet potato but havent looked into that yet and would have similar issues re having it around.

Is this a breed issue as I had a spaniel cross before and she had it where as my collie x and collie or greyhounds for that matter never had or have any issues

Do you have space in your freezer for a tray of wings? You can feed them frozen btw so buy a tray, divide up into lunch bags etc and freeze them. I buy the duck wings 15kgs at time lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

Had a similar problem with my Cavalier. What we do is mix lactose-free yoghurt in with some grain-free kibble, seems to be working well enough. Not had any problems in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

The "bone" in the thigh is actually a bit of cartilage - it depends on how the birds was butchered if it's present or not.

A chicken/duck wing is a great idea to help keep the anal glands emptied

Can I hijack a little bit here? (sorry OP, but I reckon you've loads to go on)

What about bad breath - just recently I've changed her food, and her breath is stinking. Her teeth are in good/great nick, so I'm not too concerned, but if she gets a slipper or a kids toy, it smells like poo afterwards.

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

What about bad breath - just recently I've changed her food, and her breath is stinking. Her teeth are in good/great nick, so I'm not too concerned, but if she gets a slipper or a kids toy, it smells like poo afterwards.

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

What food are you feeding her?

• Advertisement

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

I'd try probiotics or even natural yoghurt - assuming the change has messed up the balance in her tummy/gut? Bailey's breath was rotten after his jaw operation after all the pain killers/antibiotics and the vet recommended probiotics which did the trick!

She's never... Eating poop, is she Zulu? :o
    I've a dog who'll do so depending on what food she's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've a cocker spaniel and found the the Burns food didn't really suit him and he lost a lot of weight on it.

I would recommend trying them on Leader Sensitive as it made a huge improvement with my cocker and made it much easier to clean up after him too. :)

http://www.redmills.ie/Pets/Products/Leader/Leader-Adult-Sensitive

I think it's the high rice content rather than maize content in other foods that makes the difference.

cocker5 wrote: »
    What food are you feeding her?
    Let me come back to you. I cant remember to hand.
    tk123 wrote: »
    I'd try probiotics or even natural yoghurt - assuming the change has messed up the balance in her tummy/gut? Bailey's breath was rotten after his jaw operation after all the pain killers/antibiotics and the vet recommended probiotics which did the trick!
    Interesting. I was lead to believe that probiotics malarkey was just a load of malarkey!?! So dose her with that? She did have antibiotics recently... ..interesting. Thanks.
    She's never... Eating poop, is she Zulu? :o
    I've a dog who'll do so depending on what food she's on.
    NEVER! ... thankfully, she doesn't. And frankly it's amazing the amount of other crap she eats, but no, thankfully, shes not into that.

Interesting. I was lead to believe that probiotics malarkey was just a load of malarkey!?! So dose her with that? She did have antibiotics recently... ..interesting. Thanks.

I use this one for my two but you could try natural yoghurt and see if it makes any difference?

http://eu.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus-2-5-oz-70-5-g-Powder/4295

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Toothbrush! Could be a bit of rotting food stuck in her mouth, too. Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but it works, just use dog toothpaste, non-fluoride. It can also be a sign of disease (liver disease, kidney disease, etc). Might want to try the vet if a change of food, the probiotics etc. don't resolve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

tk123 wrote:
    I feed duck wings and find them great for firming things up and cleaning their teeth. Chicken wings are too small for my two and get swallowed whole and I don't like to feed chicken so the duck wings are prefect! We never have AG issues. I know a few people who have to take their dogs to get their glands emptied all the time (all on prescription dry food)...they balk at the thought of giving a drumstick etc...but have no problem with AG juice on their upholstery

Anal gland juice....bleugh.....there are few things more vile smelling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

had the same problem with a cocker...changed him over to a raw diet-problem solved:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

My terrier has the same issue. Sometimes they empty when she's sitting on me. The smell is something else, would knock a horse! My vet suggested getting them removed but after hearing the risks I decided against it. I'll just plod along and bring her to vet when they need attention.
    I wouldnt advise or attempt to do it myself as if some wrong it can cause extreme discomfort for the dog.
    Best left to the professionals I think

• Advertisement

I gave them a chicken wing each this afternoon, so we'll see what happens!

Advertisement