Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Accounts and Passports (Starting a new job)

Options
  • 11-01-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Looking for some advice I am starting a new job at the start of next week and do not currently have a bank account. I was among the long term unemployed and closed my account when a larger than I could pay at the time bank charge came through.

Now setting up an account seems to always require a Passport or Driver's Licence. I do not drive and also let my passport lapse as I did not have the 80 euro at the time to get a new one.

Now I understand the nature of message boards and there will be a lot of "should have dones" that show up in the thread. But if some one can give me some advice about what to do in this situation, I have a social services card (photo and all) but that is seemingly not acceptable.

Cheers in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ugly_Child wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice I am starting a new job at the start of next week and do not currently have a bank account. I was among the long term unemployed and closed my account when a larger than I could pay at the time bank charge came through.

Now setting up an account seems to always require a Passport or Driver's Licence. I do not drive and also let my passport lapse as I did not have the 80 euro at the time to get a new one.

Now I understand the nature of message boards and there will be a lot of "should have dones" that show up in the thread. But if some one can give me some advice about what to do in this situation, I have a social services card (photo and all) but that is seemingly not acceptable.

Cheers in Advance.

Go back to the bank. Everyone has a right to basic banking. They have tonfacikitate you in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Household bill, etc. There are ways and means of getting this done, just ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Try a Credit Union if the banks are awkward.

Your PPS card with photo, and a couple of official letters - utility bills, Revenue letters etc should do.

Work will be happy enough with your PPS card, I'd say. They really just want to verify that you are legally entitled to work here.

(At a push, do you have your old passport?)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ugly_Child

I do indeed have my old passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If you go to a garda station with some headed documentation with your address any form of photo id (even if out of date) and some passportphotosthey will give you a ml1 or a ml10 or soemthing to fill out which they will stamp and that will serve as photo id for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If they don't accept that there is a form you can get filled in as proof of identity by your local Garda station. Cannot remember what it's called and might not be acceptable but worth a go.

EDIT: Post above me explained it better

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ugly_Child

All great advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I would use that. I can't see any issue with it, it is still you.

Advertisement