Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Barley

Options
  • 11-01-2016 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi.

I would appreciate if you could please let me know which grocery / health stores stock pearl barley which I want to use in soups and stews.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You'll get it in almost every supermarket, and definitely in all the multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

I buy my barley from the Polish supermarket who sell it in bags that are a bit like boil in the bag rice but have also seen it in most of the healthfood stores too in the usual own brand type of packaging. I don't think you will have much difficulty finding some in the mainstream healthfood chain stores natali.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

You'll get it in almost every supermarket, and definitely in all the multiples.

Thanks very much for your help. I've checked Tesco twice but couldn't find it. Now when I know how the packaging looks like, I know where to look :) Thanks so much again! Can't wait to make my dish.

twignme wrote: »
    I buy my barley from the Polish supermarket who sell it in bags that are a bit like boil in the bag rice but have also seen it in most of the healthfood stores too in the usual own brand type of packaging. I don't think you will have much difficulty finding some in the mainstream healthfood chain stores natali.

Thank you for your input. I know for this boil in the bag version, it is very quick to make and fab for salads or stir fries. I am however looking for unprocessed grain so I can make a stew. Dizzyblonde was able to locate it in Tesco :):) Have a nice evening

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

natali1982 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your help. I've checked Tesco twice but couldn't find it. Now when I know how the packaging looks like, I know where to look
    Things like this can be hard to find in tesco as they do not know where to put them. You might find it in the baking section, could be alongside cornflour, could be with dried peas, could even be with the gravies.

Usually I see shamrock brand, but tesco show an own brand, they usually have a big shelf of packs like these.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256538041

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Things like this can be hard to find in tesco as they do not know where to put them. You might find it in the baking section, could be alongside cornflour, could be with dried peas, could even be with the gravies.

Usually I see shamrock brand, but tesco show an own brand, they usually have a big shelf of packs like these.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256538041

Yes exactely :D But now when I know how the packaging looks like it should be easier to find it or ask staff for help. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Supervalu also stock it. Look in the health food section.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Supervalu also stock it. Look in the health food section.

supervalu have a huge health food and " free from" section in my local shop. In tesco etc the barley is with the lentils. Enjoy! I am adding it to soup

Advertisement