Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in City with a Pet

Options
  • 11-01-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

How have people with pets found renting/house sharing in Cork?

Did you need or find producing a pet deposit helped encourage prospective landlords to let you rent(even if they didn't ask for one)? I could probably throw in a letter from the vets saying she is all up to date with vaccinations/spayed/100% healthy if that helps.

There is a course I'm very interesting in doing in Cork in September but will only be able to if I can find a place to rent with my cat.

I'm assuming landlords would be more welcoming to a cat than a dog so that might help.

Not sure if areas/buildings can be named on thread but if anyone knows of any pet friendly complexes/buildings they could possibly PM me. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We found a lot of places said no pets but then once you went to see it and kinda asked, you would know straight off. Me thinks finding a place for a cat may be a little harder though as they can do more damage than dogs. But suppose like you said you could offer to pay a deposit for the cat too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I would have thought dogs could do more?

She definitely likes to get fur on everything and I'd have up my own curtains. Any furniture in the place I'd cover with throws so the claws wouldn't hopefully do too much damage.

That's all depending if I even can get into the course but like to try and plan ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The renting situation in the city at the moment is not great. It's very very difficult to find places to rent, so I can imagine finding a place that accepts pets would be even more difficult. I have a few friends with cats, they all just didn't tell their landlords. Which is a stupid idea as they could get caught and then have nowhere to live. None have them have been caught yet though!

For the record I love dogs and cats, would love one in my house. Not allowed though and wouldn't chance it.

Haha stop a cat not doing damage with claws, ya mad...

I think people are more weary over cats I must say. We had no problem with the dog and to be honest the cat has done more stuff than the dog has...

As Lia lia said the rent situation isn't quite good anyway in Cork, so I think it would be fairly tough to find somewhere. Unless maybe you rented a room or something in a family home someplace like that.. Is the cat a good traveller too? and how long is the course..

Lia_lia wrote: »
    The renting situation in the city at the moment is not great. It's very very difficult to find places to rent, so I can imagine finding a place that accepts pets would be even more difficult. I have a few friends with cats, they all just didn't tell their landlords. Which is a stupid idea as they could get caught and then have nowhere to live. None have them have been caught yet though!

For the record I love dogs and cats, would love one in my house. Not allowed though and wouldn't chance it.

No I definitely wouldn't want to chance lying about it. Would be just my luck to get caught out and you wouldn't need that in the middle of exams or just in general worrying about being caught!
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Haha stop a cat not doing damage with claws, ya mad...

I think people are more weary over cats I must say. We had no problem with the dog and to be honest the cat has done more stuff than the dog has...

As Lia lia said the rent situation isn't quite good anyway in Cork, so I think it would be fairly tough to find somewhere. Unless maybe you rented a room or something in a family home someplace like that.. Is the cat a good traveller too? and how long is the course..

Ha! I said "hopefully wouldn't do too much damage" :p To be fair she is very good. The only damage she has done is to the curtains but that's cause she pulls them back in the morning-my own personal butler....or torturer I'm not sure :pac: For any other scratching she uses the scratching posts/cat tree thankfully!

Yeah financially it would most likely have to be a room somewhere rather than my own place. But anything I've looked at has been a tiny box room for a crazy price. She doesn't like travelling but thankfully she doesn't complain if we do take a trip to the vets unlike the outdoor cat (he'll be staying as he's the family cat as such). Its's a two year course.

• Advertisement

Cats are just funny animals, probably fro torture she is ready to be fed :) Blessed she uses the posts then for scratching.

Yeah the rent prices and the places have gone mad in cork at the moment.. You could always maybe ask in one of the groups in Cork like Community Cats or someplace like that if they knew of anyplace cat friendly, might have better luck that way.. Mind a lot of people in the main group can be a little OTT..

Maybe stick a post up on daft too saying what you are looking for

Those are actually good ideas! Smart thinking Batman :D
    Yeah she does like to torture me like that. I had to keep curtains pinned for quite some time as there was no stopping her opening them at dawn :/

Thanks very much for your help folks :)

Gotta love them.. It might be worth it you never know and you might get someplace cheaper, there is Community Cats, Animal Care Society they would be the main ones

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some rental properties in the city you wouldn't put a dog into.

Advertisement