Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army boot camp

Options
  • 11-01-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi guys i just wanted to ask is there a boot camp for like 1 month or 2 months and you get to feel how it feels in the army or you get the basic training.

Like i'm 18 and i'm still in school for another one and a half year and when i get 3 months holidays i would like to see if there is a boot camp just for 1 or 2 or 3 months where you can see how it feels like.

So is there something like that in ireland or uk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why dont you join the Reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tomstud12

mikeym wrote: »
    Why dont you join the Reserves?

Because after i'm done school i would like to join the army in uk and go on missions and make my way through the career.

So that's why i'm only looking for a camp or something that is just like when you start of your in the army but that doesn't last a year just for a month or two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

To get a feel of what life is like in the Army you'll have to join the Army.

No civilian organisation could legally treat you the way that you get treated in your recruit training.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tomstud12

tac foley wrote: »
    To get a feel of what life is like in the Army you'll have to join the Army.

No civilian organisation could legally treat you the way that you get treated in your recruit training.

tac

No my 2 friends are in uk and they were in something like a boot camp they weren't treated like in the army but they had to do all the training and running and they got teached all the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest you can find lots of classes on personal fitness, strength and conditioning. Those aren't going to represent the experience of doing those things in a military environment though, nor is learning some of the information or skills associated with it, so I tend to agree with tac foley that you're not going to know what the army is like without joining it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

tomstud12 wrote: »
    No my 2 friends are in uk and they were in something like a boot camp they weren't treated like in the army but they had to do all the training and running and they got teached all the stuff.

get TAUGHT you philistine!

Over here there are a few options.

1) It could have been the army cadets, which is the boy scouts of the armed forces.
    2) If your friends are from Ireland and joined the British Army, they may have done the 11 day program with the Royal Irish where you get taught the basics of marching, shooting, getting fit and getting your room and uniform in shape. You need to apply to be a soldier before they let you do that course.
    3) They joined the UK Army Reserve, and did the 4 week basic training package during the summer.

Otherwise, I have no idea what it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lad, get your writing, grammar and spelling sorted out or you're going nowhere.

I'm not saying that to be a grammar nazi, but the quality of potential recruits both in Ireland in the UK is the most educated it has ever been. You will be up against people with good A-levels and Leaving Certs and vocational apprentices and lads and girls with Tech diplomas already earned.

Get a good level of fitness in a local club or gym, play a sport and stay in school or college, its the best chance you have. Boot camps as a short cut for people without wider experience or education will not work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

discus wrote: »
    get TAUGHT you philistine!

Over here there are a few options.

1) It could have been the army cadets, which is the boy scouts of the armed forces.
    2) If your friends are from Ireland and joined the British Army, they may have done the 11 day program with the Royal Irish where you get taught the basics of marching, shooting, getting fit and getting your room and uniform in shape. You need to apply to be a soldier before they let you do that course.
    3) They joined the UK Army Reserve, and did the 4 week basic training package during the summer.

Otherwise, I have no idea what it could be.

I agree either Cadets or Regimental Insight Course. Or maybe they joined the TA lasted a month got kicked out

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Lad, get your writing, grammar and spelling sorted out or you're going nowhere.

I'm not saying that to be a grammar nazi, but the quality of potential recruits both in Ireland in the UK is the most educated it has ever been. You will be up against people with good A-levels and Leaving Certs and vocational apprentices and lads and girls with Tech diplomas already earned.

Get a good level of fitness in a local club or gym, play a sport and stay in school or college, its the best chance you have. Boot camps as a short cut for people without wider experience or education will not work for you.

Applies to Republic but the UK is down recruit's, UK could'n get enough officer cadets last year and dropping further this year unless the massive campaign pays off which probably wont. The TA was to supplement the Army but their numbers are down & the army is just about 4000 under minimum strength, I'm not saying the education bar will be dropped to raise the manpower but if your a decent & hardworking the British Army would be a great place to start a career as-long as you know your education limits joining you do not need to add to the workload that going to be dropped on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Their is a thing in the UK called the Potential Royal Marine Training Course (PMRC) which is actually ran by the Marines themselves! If you want to look it up to see what it's all about but it's basically a hard three day course of physical hardship to see if you got what it takes! A few lads I know in London rugby area acamadys have done it just to test themselves!

As for the defences forces you could do a lot worse both pay and respect wise. Best peacekeeping force in the world in my opinion and the training is second to none! But yes the only real thing we have here is the reserve defence forces in regards to getting an """"idea"""" of what real military hardship is like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement