Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep mobile number when leaving a job

Options
  • 11-01-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had the same number for 15 years. 3 years ago, I was offered a work phone, and didn't want to have two phones on me, so I i kept my number and it was added to my employers list of company phones under contract with Vodafone.

Leaving the job in a few weeks, and obviously want to bring my number with me?

Are there any issues with this, and anyone any advice on how it works? Does my employer have to give permission to 'release the number' back to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

burly wrote: »
    Hi,

I've had the same number for 15 years. 3 years ago, I was offered a work phone, and didn't want to have two phones on me, so I i kept my number and it was added to my employers list of company phones under contract with Vodafone.

Leaving the job in a few weeks, and obviously want to bring my number with me?

Are there any issues with this, and anyone any advice on how it works? Does my employer have to give permission to 'release the number' back to me?

From you message sounds like employer added you to the company contract with Vodafone, so all contact details will be the focal point within the company in that case you will probably need to get permission from them to move.

You could ask mod to move the post to the Talk to: Vodafone they should be able to give you the correct answer and how to proceed to get the number release to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Ask the account contact to call 1907 and request your number on business account to be migrated to pay as you go then you can own your number fully & move networks or sign up to Billpay plan with your number etc......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They pay per connection not the mobile number your employer needs to contact the vodafone account manager to release the number it then will go to pay as you go and you are free to change to your own personal bill pay or change networks.

This is how it works enterprise wise if its small business it may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Just in case your employer's phone person starts saying stuff about the company owning the phone numbers on its account, and that you can't take it with you, etc, it's worth noting that neither you, your employer, or Vodafone own any phone (landline or mobile) numbers - all phone numbers in Ireland are owned by ComReg (so that nobody can have any claim which would prevent porting in a free marketplace).

Probably won't be an issue, but some companies have been known to try to prevent salespeople taking their number when they leave, to prevent past/present/future sales prospects from contacting the salesperson in their new role elsewhere.

Advertisement