Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with leftover tomato juice/sauce?

Options
  • 11-01-2016 9:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When I make pizza, I make the sauce by straining a can of chopped tomatoes and blitzing that with garlic and salt.

I end up with leftover tomato juice, and any leftover pizza sauce gets dumped in on top of it.

Beyond chilli, bolognaise, or a pasta bake, any suggestions on using this up (I usually add 1 tbsp tomato paste when using it for those purposes anyway to bring back some of the tomato richness).

Some vegetarian ideas would be welcome, as it's nice to feed the OH new things from time to time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Tree wrote: »
    When I make pizza, I make the sauce by straining a can of chopped tomatoes and blitzing that with garlic and salt.

I end up with leftover tomato juice, and any leftover pizza sauce gets dumped in on top of it.

Beyond chilli, bolognaise, or a pasta bake, any suggestions on using this up (I usually add 1 tbsp tomato paste when using it for those purposes anyway to bring back some of the tomato richness).

Some vegetarian ideas would be welcome, as it's nice to feed the OH new things from time to time.

Freeze it in sandwich bags.
    Add to curries or stews or soups, e.g. Minestrone.
    Homemade baked beans, butterbeans in tomato sauce.
    Cook chicken breasts in it and add grated cheese.
    Vegetarian/ beef lasagne
    Spread on french bread , add toppings and cheese for quick mini pizzas.
    Base for sauce for chicken wings or ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Tomato Risotto is amazing. Just stir in a little of the sauce towards the end of the cooking of the risotto and then add parmesan and butter. Great way to use up tomato sauce.
    Chicken parmesan is also good http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-best-chicken-parmesan-recipe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Chorizo, potatoes, onions and chickpeas.......with the left over tomato sauce......mmmmmmm

You can also add peppers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Too early in the morning to suggest a Bloody Mary?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Layer it with sliced aubergine and courgette, top it with cheese and oven-roast it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cheers!

In the past I've also reduced it with a load of amchur to get a tangy sauce for putting on wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Bean stew - Just add in some spices and various beans. Pan fried chorizo to make it vegetarian unfriendly.

Make BBQ sauce from it - Add cider vinegar, (preferably brown) sugar, worcestershire sauce, mustard, some paprika, chilli powder/flakes. It should hold for about 3 months.

But really, the answer is...
    duploelabs wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

duploelabs wrote: »

It is always afternoon somewhere. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Patatas Bravas, cant go wrong with fried potatoes and tomato sauce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Does the bit of garlic go in the bloody mary? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It's down to your own taste. Some Bloody Mary recipes mention 1/4 tea spoon of garlic powder. You'll be covering it up with plenty of other flavours too.
    It is always afternoon somewhere. ;)

I've always put BM's down as a pre-noon drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

OldBean wrote: »
    It's down to your own taste. Some Bloody Mary recipes mention 1/4 tea spoon of garlic powder. You'll be covering it up with plenty of other flavours too.

I've always put BM's down as a pre-noon drink...

......the breakfast of champions (especially champions with a hangover!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Shakshuka is also an option. Throwing it over some prawns to have with some cous cous also works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I like tomato sauce so much I would just chill it and drink it with extra salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon. (Or lime.)
    Or a pickled onion dropped in.
    Chill it, drink it...aaah!

or else, make a Mexican omelette with fried peppers, onions and chilli, adding eggs and then your tomato mixture. Huevos rancheros.
    Excellent supper or brunch dish.

Advertisement