Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of buying part of neighbours garden.

Options
  • 11-01-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hi,i live in a house in dublin,the land behind all the gardens were alotments years ago,and then were bought out by the residents.the way they divided them was unusual and as a result my neighbours garden cuts into mine.my neighbour is elderly and was thinking of selling the house.before he does i was thinking of asking him if he was interested in selling part of his garden.its about 420 sq foot[40 sq m)

i want to be fair to him[and myself]what type of ballpark figure might i be looking at.

also i would need a chartered surveyor and a solicitor.he owns the property outright so he does not need permission from bank....anything else i'm missing.cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Somebody that will prepare the maps for land registry.
    Is there any development opportunity by buying the land or is it simply to earn extra private space ?

Any chance of a picture?

Money wise.........€5k in his pocket might sway him.
    Has he ever expressed an interest in selling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

thanks for the reply.sorry i dont have a picture.5k was exactly the figure i was thinking.no,there is no development opportunity(extra space,as the end of my garden is only 12 foot wide)

i dont really see him that often as his door is around the corner,but a friend of mine was talking to him and he made some reference to needing cash.cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Send him a letter with an offer and maybe a basic map of what you want to buy. It will involve solicitors and land registry but it should not be too complicated. A letter rather than calling to his door gives him a chance to consider it without feeling pressure.

If he is selling the house however he may consider selling part of the garden as reducing the value of the property. Just give him what you consider a fair offer and see what he says to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

thanks for that.might try the letter.cheers.

Advertisement