Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vertical DPC on window in wrong position

• 11-01-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Evening all,

I am working my way through a new build and the windows have just gone in.

Looking closer I noticed the vertical DPCs are behind the front of the window. i.e. window section is quite wide so when the window was was placed on the cill it about 25mm out from the inside face of the outer block leaf, where the DPC comes out. The DPC is present none the less and is visible where it comes out into the mid point of the window frame. Some of the windows have excess DPC that can come around to the front of the window but about half of the windows do not have enough DPC to do this.

My architect and window installer is looking at it on wednesday but speaking with him off site he does not fill me with confidence that a solution can be found.

My plasterer said he came across this before and the joint could be filled with mastic / sealer with the DPC behind and plaster up to this. I was also toying with the idea of extending the DPC by some means, but not sure if this is possible? On the plus side, at least there is a DPC and its not behind the window frame which would be worse again. I would be grateful of any opinions or comment.

many thanks in advance,

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a picture paints a thousand words ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

Indeed syd. Will be out on site tomorrow and will take a few and post up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sounds to me like the cills may have been installed in the wrong position, or, simply not long enough to allow the windows be fitted in the right position?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the cills may have been installed in the wrong position, or, simply not long enough to allow the windows be fitted in the right position?

yeah, the latter I think. I thought they looked like they were sticking out too much but 'assumed' they were in the right position. You know what they say about assumptions. None the less the blocklayer should have known what he wad doing. Hoping it can resolved without too much fuss...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you can post up a couple of photos tomorrow, that would help.

• Advertisement

Here are the photos of the vertical dpc (or lack of it).

Note how the window frame is not flush with the inside face of the outer block so the dpc has to be brought around to the front of the window. In some cases the windows are in the right position and in others they are further out- dictated by the cill positions. The noses of the cills were noted to vary from 65mm-100mm out from the outside block thus bringing the windows out also.

The one with my hand in it is one of the windows with enough slack dpc to run around to the front if the window.

WP_20160113_003.jpg

WP_20160113_004.jpg

WP_20160113_005.jpg

WP_20160113_006.jpg

blacktea wrote: »
    The one with my hand in it is one of the windows with enough slack dpc to run around to the front if the window.

As long as there is a vertical DPC where the cavity is closed, and, if the DPC can be brought around the side/face of the window, all should be fine.

Only real issue I would foresee is inconsistent reveal depths?

Did you get to the bottom of why the issue occurred?

at least all the windows have vertical dpcs. Some windows have dpc coming around the side of the window, as in these pictures. There are some windows where dpc just abuts the window frame and is hard to get into. These are the worst.

the architect has advised that the dpc be extended with additional dpc, say 50/75mm wide with adhesive. There is a product available from hardware stores ive been told.

if i can get the dpc sorted im not too worried about reveal depths to be honest. As what caused it all, bad / inconsistent workmanship by blocklayer. The annoying thing is half the windows are fine, just the ones projecting out too far are causing the problem.

Advertisement