Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile question

Options
  • 11-01-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

OK I know there are lots of Tesco mobiel queries on here but most seem a bit old so....

Debating buying SIM free S6 and going with Meteor €30 pm all in...or

Tesco mobile 24month contract for S6 and €30 a month...

Monthly cost the same but upfront saves over €200...

Any issues with Tesco network?
    Will I get 4G?
    Hows coverage in Ireland?
    Roaming ok?
    Custome rservice?

Prices seem great but very few if any appear to be with Tesco...any reason why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Zipppy wrote: »

No 4g (no definite date when it will be available).

Uses O2 network but no access to full Three coverage even though Three owns O2.

If you check Midband forum speed test thread it seems that Tesco has its data rate capped at 2Mbps both down and up

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Zipppy wrote: »
    OK I know there are lots of Tesco mobiel queries on here but most seem a bit old so....

Debating buying SIM free S6 and going with Meteor €30 pm all in...or

Tesco mobile 24month contract for S6 and €30 a month...

Monthly cost the same but upfront saves over €200...

Any issues with Tesco network?
    Will I get 4G?
    Hows coverage in Ireland?
    Roaming ok?
    Custome rservice?

Tesco EU Roaming data €250 per 1GB vs €15 on Meteor! Meteor also have a day rate of 99c per day for 50MB data roaming which is handy for short trips. Meteor also give free incoming calls when roaming in EU vs charged on Tesco.

The MyMeteor app gives 400 free texts per month, including 100 international. If you use less than 400 texts per month you may be able to consider dropping down to a tariff that just gives you Voice & Data?

Beware of the old O2 network - Three have started switching off some of the old O2 sites where they have a Three site nearby, but the Tesco users don't have access to the Three sites. No prospect of getting 4G or HD Voice on Three vs Meteor which already has them. Meteor 4G is pretty extensive and uses 800MHz in rural areas for extra coverage. Even if Tesco do manage to open up roaming on Three, their network is limited to major urban areas and largely 1800MHz which doesn't give good range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Great responses.....decision made...many thanks

Advertisement