Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to work after maternity - Work hours

Options
  • 12-01-2016 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I was due to return to work the 1 st week in January from 6 months maternity leave. I had asked my boss if she would consider reducing my work hours when I returned - she said she didn't think my work could be completed in a short week so refused.. which I was Ok with - so I decided to take my extra 16 weeks maternity-and hope to pick up part-time work else where.
    However I have recently discovered that another girl who had a baby 3 weeks before me has returned to work on a three day week. She has a different manager and is in a different department..
    I'm fuming that because I have a different job title and manager my baby suffers! Is it one rule for 1 and different for another?
    Should I asked my manager for a different role than which I was employed in ?
    BTW this is not a struggling company, & I am not trying to take advantage I just want a better work/life balance for me and my kids.

Comments

Gickyk wrote: »
    .........she said she didn't think my work could be completed in a short week so refused.. ............
    Should I asked my manager for a different role than which I was employed in ?............

That would seem like a good idea, there might be opportunities that would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the other woman is doing a different job, then her situation is different.

You can of course ask your manager for a change of role, but I don't think there's a requirement for the company to give it to you. Ie they might go along with the idea, or they might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I'm going to get crucified for saying this but here it goes ......

Your role was full time before you went on mat leave, I assume it was full time with your mat leave cover and your manager considers it still to be a full time role now.

The fact you've now had a child does not redefine your role.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I was due to return to work the 1 st week in January from 6 months maternity leave. I had asked my boss if she would consider reducing my work hours when I returned - she said she didn't think my work could be completed in a short week so refused.. which I was Ok with - so I decided to take my extra 16 weeks maternity-and hope to pick up part-time work else where.
    However I have recently discovered that another girl who had a baby 3 weeks before me has returned to work on a three day week. She has a different manager and is in a different department..
    I'm fuming that because I have a different job title and manager my baby suffers! Is it one rule for 1 and different for another?
    BTW this is not a struggling company, & I am not trying to take advantage I just want a better work/life balance for me and my kids.

This will no doubt be unpopular but howandever...

It sounds like your role is a full-time role and that's what your manager needs/expects you to do. The fact that you were due to return on the first week of January but then extended this when you were refused your request for less hours probably didn't help your case either to be honest as you may have left them stuck if the temp/cover has already finished as well. (EDIT: or not? it's unclear whether this request went in before the OP left or was made while she was on leave). In any case, the duties of the role would seem to demand a 5-day/full-time commitment.

The other woman is irrelevant.. different role, different circumstances so I don't think you have any argument there.

While I understand that you want a better work/life balance, it's not really your employer's responsibility to accommodate you (IMO anyway.. others will no doubt disagree). Your role is still available and waiting for you but if it doesn't suit your changed personal circumstances then maybe you should be checking out the part-time work option you referred to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

You need to spend these weeks of unpaid leave finding yourself a job that suits your circumstances because your current employer doesn't have to facilitate you at all
    Be careful not to let your relationship with this employer deteriorate any further by trying to exert rights which you simply do not have
    You will probably need a reference for your next job, so keep this in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I had asked my boss if she would consider reducing my work hours when I returned - she said she didn't think my work could be completed in a short week so refused..

I bolded the important bits.

Is it not entirely possible that your particular job can't be done in a short week, but the other ladys one could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Your company are only obliged to offer you your same role and hours after mat leave. The other employees situation is irrelevant here. I was in a similar situation myself and ended up leaving to take a part time job. You also need to think about possible future pregnancies - will your new job offer good maternity rights etc. one option is to return to your old job at old hours and try to reduce the hours a bit with parental leave once you settle back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Electric Sex Pants

Hi

If she is in a different department and a different manager then its not unfair treatment, its down to your managers judgement, as they are ultimately responsible for your work. Its a case by case basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I'm going to get crucified for saying this but here it goes ......

Your role was full time before you went on mat leave, I assume it was full time with your mat leave cover and your manager considers it still to be a full time role now.

The fact you've now had a child does not redefine your role.

i dont think so 99% of the working world would agree with you, im a woman and it drives me insane when working mothers want this and that because they've had a baby,

i understand its a wonderful thing and the law is there to protect you from having your job changed but it seems to be happening an awful lot that'oh now the hours dont suit me know can they be changed', leaving an employer to try to do the right thing and getting screwed in the meantime ie: you told them you would be back after 6 months, they didnt agree to lower your hours so are taking extra time and looking for a new job without telling them, when you are expected back will you go back? or have you told them you have no intention of coming back and are looking for another job?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

I thought that legally parental leave can't be refused? You could apply for two days per week of it. If they refuse, apply again!

Open to correction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Nocrac wrote: »
    I thought that legally parental leave can't be refused? You could apply for two days per week of it. If they refuse, apply again!

Open to correction...

Yes you can refuse parental leave for business needs or on the grounds that the employee isnt entitled to it. or defer it for 6 months.

parental leave is to be used to care for a child. not because she doesnt want to work full time.

this isnt a case for parental leave, this is a situation where the OP doesnt want to go back to her original role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Open to correction...

PL may be taken in one continuous period or in 2 separate blocks of a minimum of 6 weeks. Not 2 days per week. You can apply for a change of hours, the employer must consider it but is not obliged to grant it. PL can be postponed by the employer for up to six months under certain circumstances such as inability to obtain cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

davo10 wrote: »
    PL may be taken in one continuous period or in 2 separate blocks of a minimum of 6 weeks. Not 2 days per week. You can apply for a change of hours, the employer must consider it but is not obliged to grant it. PL can be postponed by the employer for up to six months under certain circumstances such as inability to obtain cover.

I know people who take it two days per week. I also know people would take it in hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know people who take it two days per week. I also know people would take it in hours.

That's at the employers discretion

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Parental Leave has to be taken in either one or two blocks . Of course any employer can be more accommodating than the legislation ( I know a company that pays 18 months Maternity cover ) but nobody is entitled to that , it is completely at employers discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

All at the discretion of the individual employer
    No employer can be forced to agree to anything outside of the legislation

Advertisement