Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes in Dublin

Options
  • 12-01-2016 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Was up late Friday night and the eyes nearly popped out of my head to see two foxes on a rampage across the car park in my complex in Finglas. I know foxes can adapt and survive in urban environments, but its pretty rare you actually see them. I'm pretty near the m50 so theres a good bit of countryside only 1km away from me but I would have thought they'd stick to the fields and ditches but apparently not.
    I remember there was a family of them living on the ground of Trinity College several years back, not sure if they're still there?

Anyone else spot foxes in their area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Yes, I see a good few in Dublin 9, but I live near a park. I love seeing them! The most unusual place I've ever seen a fox was by the Grand Canal, near Baggot St. Didn't think they'd be so near the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

cactusgal wrote: »
    Yes, I see a good few in Dublin 9, but I live near a park. I love seeing them! The most unusual place I've ever seen a fox was by the Grand Canal, near Baggot St. Didn't think they'd be so near the city centre.

Ranelagh too. Spotted 2 different Foxes on the way home one night, it coulda been the same one as I had tied a bit of a load on but.... saw them on separate occasions too. Lovely animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

There are loads around Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Muahahaha wrote:
    Was up late Friday night and the eyes nearly popped out of my head to see two foxes on a rampage across the car park in my complex in Finglas. I know foxes can adapt and survive in urban environments, but its pretty rare you actually see them. I'm pretty near the m50 so theres a good bit of countryside only 1km away from me but I would have thought they'd stick to the fields and ditches but apparently not. I remember there was a family of them living on the ground of Trinity College several years back, not sure if they're still there?

There are a couple of pairs in ashtown and around dunsink. I've met foxes on the river road a few times in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I regularly see a pair of foxes lounging on a flat roof between the Iveagh Gardens and St Stephens Green during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Usually quite a few around on nights before the bins are picked up in Stoneybatter. Moreso in the summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She's playing Whelans in February :D

http://m.ticketmaster.ie/Foxes-tickets/artist/1783457

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There used to be 2 around East Point Business Park in D3, haven't seen them for a while - one of them looked in full health, one of them a bit scrawny.

Saw one on the Howth Road near Killester going along the flat partition walls between properties.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

See one at the Point luas frequently - likely not always the same one. Always been a fair few in the city

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

There's none in the countryside anymore...they all moved to the city.:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ive spotted them at various places around the suburbs, reletively common I'd have said if you're out and about at night.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

you'd often see dead ones hanging around on the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Most unusual place I saw one was on Lombard St one morning on the way into work at around 8.30am.

It was quite the surprise to see a fox darting through rush hour traffic in the middle of the city centre. I presume it had been sheltering somewhere and had been disturbed.

I've seen them a few times on the North Circular Road and Infirmary Road beside the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Foxs are migrating from rural areas to urban area as their is enough food left from humans similar to the pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

coconnellz wrote: »
    Foxs are migrating from rural areas to urban area as their is enough food left from humans similar to the pigeon

Quite possible there are as many per sq. km. in urban areas as in countryside. No stats for that but wouldn't be surprised. Have seen one a couple of times at Darndale Roundabout, had a regular visitor in garden off Mobhi Road (he came so often he'd left a trail across lawn) and often see dead ones on M50. Have heard reports of one in our apartment complex at Northern Cross but not seen one yet, although have seen a hedgehog a couple of times and a squirrel.

Even saw one strolling along the pavement on Lower Gardiner Street in the early hours as if he owned the place.

Beautiful animals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Saw one on Clanbrassil St at 9am one morning. Just looking around, not a bother on it.

And another has been spotted looking in my cat flap in Terenure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was up late Friday night and the eyes nearly popped out of my head to see two foxes on a rampage across the car park in my complex in Finglas. I know foxes can adapt and survive in urban environments, but its pretty rare you actually see them. I'm pretty near the m50 so theres a good bit of countryside only 1km away from me but I would have thought they'd stick to the fields and ditches but apparently not.
    I remember there was a family of them living on the ground of Trinity College several years back, not sure if they're still there?

Anyone else spot foxes in their area?

Seen a few the other night when out in the car around Lucan.
    Hearing so many have been spotted ou and about recently, I wonder has the weather reduced any natural food supply or if with recycling/seperation of food wastes have they been forced out into the open? Although I think recycling is less likely a reason, I dont see many brown bins out and black bins are probably just as hard to access anyway.
    I dont know if any foxes would venture onto my road as its a cul de sac and only one way out, but Ive seen them on the road outside the estate at a nearby junction where there is a bit of rough ground and bushes for cover.
    Grid. wrote: »
    There's none in the countryside anymore...they all moved to the city.:p
    despite what people say, less likely to get shot in the city :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Clonskeagh, Donnybrook, Milltown, Dundrum, Churchtown, even Dun Laoghaire has a resident fox in the harbour

fox3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I see them nightly in Terenure, I live opposite Tesco so I would imagine they are trying to get into the food bins there. At the end of Whitton Road where the billboards are there is a hole in the soil. I wonder is that where the den is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

saw one last thursday around Talbot Street. People stopped and took pictures as well :pac::D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Loads around alright.

Used to be a den in St Pats College in DC. There's still loads around there.

See one quite regularly on dumpster dives where we live off Richmond Road.

Joe.ie posted a pic of one chilling on the roof beside its office.

Foxes are a pretty normal thing for me to see now.

Strangest one for me was walking straight into a badger in an apartment complex in Cabinteely!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭argentum

I live in Dublin 16 right on the foothills of the Dublin mountains and it would be unusual if you didn't see a fox at least once a day .Some of my neighbours actually have them living in their back gardens and I would watch them most nights out in my front garden. When the cubs arrive they play for hours and its like watching a wildlife documentary

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

5star02707 wrote: »
    saw one last thursday around Talbot Street. People stopped and took pictures as well :pac::D:pac:
    I saw one once outside Connolly Station and thought I was seeing things only for a friend was with me. The two of us stood there open-mouthed watching this fox crossing the Luas tracks outside the station :D I knew there were foxes in suburban areas but I had never seen one in the city until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

argentum wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 16 right on the foothills of the Dublin mountains and it would be unusual if you didn't see a fox at least once a day .Some of my neighbours actually have them living in their back gardens and I would watch them most nights out in my front garden. When the cubs arrive they play for hours and its like watching a wildlife documentary

I am also in d16 and last summer after being away for 4 weeks I walked into the back garden and 5 of them were sunning themselves on the back lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louise88

I saw one when I was working in Eastpoint Business Park, and by 'saw' I mean it came up to me in broad daylight and stood looking at me from about 3 feet away for a good long time (long enough to get several photos). I think it was used to getting food from humans?

There's also a fox living in my estate, it's quite developed but there's a few green areas around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

miamee wrote: »
    I saw one once outside Connolly Station and thought I was seeing things only for a friend was with me. The two of us stood there open-mouthed watching this fox crossing the Luas tracks outside the station :D I knew there were foxes in suburban areas but I had never seen one in the city until then.

I saw two from the Dart one morning in the waste ground just outside Connolly station. I've also seen a few late at night in Raheny. They really are beautiful animals.

One of my colleagues in work went out on Stephens day in county Galway to follow a hunt. She saw the fox running away from the hounds. It was great craic altogether for her.:mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Saw one walking up Mount St. last week. And I regularly have one in my back garden in Crumlin.

There's something magical about encountering a fox on your way home after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

they're not rare at all and are everywhere (in the southside anyway).i'd see them most nights once it's dark and the traffic subsides a bit.
    Also had a mother and 2 cubs growing up in the garden behind us. From our upstairs window, we could watch the cubs playing during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

coconnellz wrote: »

Left over or left out deliberately?

With the introduction of solid wheelie bins across most of Dublin, surely there's much less food available than say in the 1980s when everyone was leaving plastic bags on the side of the road?
    I can't imagine any foxes deliberately knocking over wheelie bins - have seen footage of raccoons doing this in Germany and Canada.

Or could it be backyard compost heaps attracting them?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Seen them quite a bit around the Ratoath Road area Finglas. Beautiful animals

Advertisement