Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

There's a golf field in front of our apartment building and we used to watch fox mother with several small fox babies roaming around on the field almost every evening. Very cute.
    Have not seen them in a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Left over or left out deliberately?

Plenty of feeding for them with people throwing food over ditches or on a friday night after clubs/pubs etc etc... Plus the no so good aim that manages to land their rubbish 3 inches away from the bin..Then i guess there is the odd one who wont pay for bins and manages to litter area's close by making good feeding areas for foxes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Pretty sure it's thrown out food that's attracting them.

Saw one run out from behind my local Chinese years ago. I'd bet he was eating the food they threw out at the end of the night.

Either that or he was escaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Loads of them around D24 and D12. Used to be a huge colony of bunnies on the lawn in the last place I worked, the bunnies were breeding like, well, bunnies, and the foxes were fat and happy. Id be sitting at my desk and Id see movement and there would be a fox strolling along the centre of the car park. Had to rescue ducklings that fell down a shore in the car park there too.

Saw a badger on the grass by the M50 slip road from Oscar Traynor Road a while ago.

And deer galore once you drive up past Masseys in the Dublin mountains. Actually nearly had the car damaged by two huge deer right by where that halting site fire was recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 121 Gigawatts!?

A family of them used to live in the large gardens behind my house in Harolds Cross.

During the summer the cubs would come up as close to my bedroom window. Was nice to get a close look at them. The adults would be out lying in the grass too.

I dont live there anymore so not sure if they are still there or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

used to see one fairly regularly in the back garden of a house in the Ranelagh area, it was a skinny scrawney mangey looking yoke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

You seem them on the Howth road from time to time. There was a beautiful one killed there a few weeks ago that I cycled past every morning until he was just totally embedded into the road like a piece of spat out chewing gum. Sigh.
    There were far more in London though, and I lived fairly central there. Which is weird because it's a way more built up city. You couldn't walk home there at night without seeing 2 or 3. I love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

There's a family of them living on the grounds of the national concert hall.

They regularly set off the perimeter red-zone alarms during the night, activating the CCTV.

I have hours of footage of them playing in the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Mesrine65 wrote: »

They regularly set off the perimeter red-zone alarms during the night, activating the CCTV.

Arra gwan with your cultured foxes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is there a protocol with them from DCC? Like done feed them, report sightings of them, etc... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I've seen foxes regularly around Mt. Pleasant Square in Ranelagh and there is a family of four well-fed foxes on the grounds of Leinster Cricket Club every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Saw one crossing Cork Street from out of the Coombe Maternity (about 11 pm or so one night). Heading for the chipper by the looks of him. I swear the wee chancer looked left and right before crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Used to regularly seen them (or perhaps the same one) near ranelagh (Palmerston Road).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I send to live in Dartry and we often heard yelping at night (especially at mating season) and would see them frequently. Even came home one night to find one standing in the middle of the road eating rom a bag of chips on the ground. Have since moved to Ranelagh near Gonzaga and I still see foxes, though not as much.

I saw a sign outside a neighbour's house recently about their missing pet rabbit. Long since a fox's dinner I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I saw two from the Dart one morning in the waste ground just outside Connolly station. I've also seen a few late at night in Raheny. They really are beautiful animals.

One of my colleagues in work went out on Stephens day in county Galway to follow a hunt. She saw the fox running away from the hounds. It was great craic altogether for her.:mad:

I used to live in the IFSC and used to see a large vixen down around by the Harbourmaster pub a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mesrine65 wrote: »

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

About 20 years ago I was very much surprised to see a fox on Dorset street on a night out.

I often see a fox passing my house in Tallaght at night though.

I used to live in the IFSC and used to see a large vixen down around by the Harbourmaster pub a lot of the time.
    Is that Sally from accounts?

Is there a protocol with them from DCC? Like done feed them, report sightings of them, etc... ?

You'd be making an awful lot of reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I passed one in broad daylight a while back strolling along outside the Radisson Blu behind Dublin Castle. Don't know where he was coming from or going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Came across a fine big fox with a rabbit between his teeth at 6am the other morning while cycling into work on Chapel Road, Kinsealey. He was competely oblivious to my presence and I had to slow down to avoid hitting him. I see foxes regularly around there while driving at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

One used to hang around the Taxi Rank in Dún Laoghaire, had no fear whatsoever of humans

21/25

You'd be making an awful lot of reports.
    I would imagine, just wondering though

I would imagine, just wondering though

I had a look, and it seems they just include urban foxes as part of the general wildlife and have no specific guidelines. I still wouldn't be feeding them personally. I don't know anyone who's tried to pet one. I'd be curious how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

I had a look, and it seems they just include urban foxes as part of the general wildlife and have no specific guidelines. I still wouldn't be feeding them personally. I don't know anyone who's tried to pet one. I'd be curious how that worked out.
    Don't ever feed a fox they will never stop coming and they even teach there young to depend on out side food sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have them visiting my front and back garden. They're healthy, no mange (most get mange from feral cats - unwanted pets and a scourge to urban wildlife) The last one I saw on Monday had a dead rat in it's mouth. I'm 5k from the city centre and have badgers, kestrels, peregrine's, sparrowhawks and hedgehogs too. Very welcome, harmless and they still have a wariness when it comes to humans.

That's good.

Hunter456 has an excellent, valid and important point, we don't want our urban foxes to be too used to or reliant on human contact. They're wild animals. If you insist on leaving food out for them, don't make it regular (where cubs will get reliant) and don't leave it at your back door.

Seals, dolphins, otters, badgers, foxes are wild animals, they're fantastic to see and be around. But, they can be unpredictable when cornered or if they think they're threatened.

One small incident (and that's all it will be, and that's all it takes) and the worrywarts will be screaming for a cull. That's the last thing we need. Urban wildlife are treating urban areas as a sanctuary. We need to welcome them and treat them properly.

There's a resident otter very close to the city centre due to three clean rivers with returning spawning salmon and clean canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Saw one on Clanbrassil St at 9am one morning. Just looking around, not a bother on it.

And another has been spotted looking in my cat flap in Terenure!
    Saw one crossing Cork Street from out of the Coombe Maternity (about 11 pm or so one night). Heading for the chipper by the looks of him. I swear the wee chancer looked left and right before crossing the road.

Probably the same few, there's a leash of foxes that do the rounds between Cork St, Donore Ave, Clanbrassil St and SCR. I think they live either in the back of Scoil Treasa Naofa or in St. Teresa's Church on Donore Avenue. They're getting braver, you'd normally used to see them after around 3am whereas these days I've seen them on my road (Sandford Ave) as early as 9pm last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I live in Ballsbridge, I've seen them here, in Ranelagh, and in Stephen's Green. There's tonnes of them in the city centre.

I doubt there's a park in the city that doesn't have foxes living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty serious fox attack in kildare
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/elderly-woman-needs-twenty-stitches-after-vicious-fox-attack-34370130.html
    n elderly Kildare woman required twenty stitches in her face, arm and hand after being attacked by a fox in her back garden.

Josie Hillis(71), wife of Fine Gael councillor Billy Hillis, was attacked by the fox in the back garden of their property in Dunshane, near Brannockstown.
    The couple own around twenty poultry and four of their peahens have been killed since Christmas. On Tuesday night, Hillis attempted to chase a fox away from a peanhen when she was attacked.
    The fox pinned her to the ground, tearing at her face and arm before Hillis could react.
    "The fox caught me unawares and I slipped", she told Kildare Now. "It caught my face and I had to prise it's mouth open".
    "I read somewhere that if you blow into an animal's nose it will release its hold. It worked long enough for me to throw (the fox) away but it came back and grabbed my arm".
    "I was able to reach a stick and beat it over the head until it let go".
    She claims she was fending off the fox for around ten minutes before it finally ran away. "It kept coming back at me".
    Hillis received over twenty stitches on her hand, arm ear, lips and mouth at Naas General hospital.
    "I am frightened for children, I would like to see him shot. This animal is dangerous"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Wow... and wow again! That's something you don't hear often, a fox pinning and mauling a human. She's an elderly woman, I hope she makes a speedy recovery and isn't badly traumatised. I'd love the hear some fox experts opinions on this... was it an old desperate starving fox? Was it a fox? The rogue needs to be tracked and destroyed. Shocking stuff for the woman and her family.

Advertisement