Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army defence forces recruitment 2016

• 12-01-2016 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'll be turning 18 next month and its always been my dream to join the PDF, does anyone know roughly when they'll be recruiting this year(if at all)? Also what can I do to train my body to be strong? I'm 5'11"/6 foot tall BTW and weigh 11 stone or so. Thanks for reading.Also for the mods I'm not sure if this has been posted already I apologise if it has been, I can't find a sub section for the army so I'll just place this where I think appropriate, sorry for any inconveniences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nanoch

Zaph wrote: »
    Moved from Feedback

Thank you so much, I'm on mobile and couldn't find the correct place.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Recruitment will take place usually February - March Unlikely tho this year your move looking at August - September. People will be on soon saying that last year panel will cover this year but its the same most years and a recruitment drive will go ahead for Q3 -Q4 2016 - Q1 - Q2 2017. If your lucky the Naval services mite do a surprise recruitment around march.

Your options

Reserve been along time since i paid any attending to the reserve so the age mite also be 18 also but check it out.

Download the 100% Army Fitness app on android its for the British Armed Forces but applies here.

Start running & swimming, Give up the cigs lay off the drink avoid drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nanoch

Recruitment will take place usually February - March Unlikely tho this year your move looking at August - September. People will be on soon saying that last year panel will cover this year but its the same most years and a recruitment drive will go ahead for Q3 -Q4 2016 - Q1 - Q2 2017. If your lucky the Naval services mite do a surprise recruitment around march.

Your options

Reserve been along time since i paid any attending to the reserve so the age mite also be 18 also but check it out.

Download the 100% Army Fitness app on android its for the British Armed Forces but applies here.

Start running & swimming, Give up the cigs lay off the drink avoid drugs.
    Thanks for the answer mate, I don't quite follow you, would I be able to send in an application when they start recruiting or have to wait until q3 of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Nanoch wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer mate, I don't quite follow you, would I be able to send in an application when they start recruiting or have to wait until q3 of the year?

No the panel will open mid 2016 you will if you pass all the required fields be placed on a panel for Q3-Q4-2016 Q1-Q2 2017 the the Army will open new panel 2017 around the same time. You can only apply when a panel is been shortlisted so watch the website Facebook usually the application runs for one month and is advertised in the mean time the RDF ''Reserve Defence Forces are recruiting apply on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tommf

Anyone any idea when the fitness tests will start?

Anyone any idea when the fitness tests will start?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

I think the psychometric tests are the first step this time around and since the deadline for applications isnt for another 3 weeks, I wouldnt expect to hear anything soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jake_98

Got my interview and fitness test today for 27th June in cork. Anyone else get it?

Jake_98 wrote: »
    Got my interview and fitness test today for 27th June in cork. Anyone else get it?

Nope still nothing here yet..

• Advertisement

Tommf wrote: »
    Nope still nothing here yet..

Fingers crossed you do pal, did you apply for cork as well as the curragh?

Fingers crossed you do pal, did you apply for cork as well as the curragh?

Nah just the navy I'm over the age limit for the army, Wat bout you? To be honest the more the competition goes on the more I'm having second thoughts about going in, but just gonna see Wat happens for now anyway!

Nah just the navy I'm over the age limit for the army, Wat bout you? To be honest the more the competition goes on the more I'm having second thoughts about going in, but just gonna see Wat happens for now anyway!
    Ayee I'll say they'll be sending out offers soon so best off hanging on in there, shouldn't be too long in anyways. I applied for all 3 competitions so I'll take what I'm offered lol

Ayee I'll say they'll be sending out offers soon so best off hanging on in there, shouldn't be too long in anyways. I applied for all 3 competitions so I'll take what I'm offered lol
    Where you from? Did you hear if many applied for navy this year?

Where you from? Did you hear if many applied for navy this year?

Ballymun, you? And no but last year they said over 10thousand applied for the army and I'd say most people apply for both so this year I'd safely say around 5/6 thousand for the navy.

Ballymun, you? And no but last year they said over 10thousand applied for the army and I'd say most people apply for both so this year I'd safely say around 5/6 thousand for the navy.

I'm from donegal, long way from cork lol! Jesus didn't think there would b that many ppl applyin

I'm from donegal, long way from cork lol! Jesus didn't think there would b that many ppl applyin

Ahh ye it's a fair owl distance but sure beggars can't be choosers lol, ye it's madness with that many people applying they should beef up the number off personal to at least 15thousand it's not like they won't get the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭davetherave

Ahh ye it's a fair owl distance but sure beggars can't be choosers lol, ye it's madness with that many people applying they should beef up the number off personal to at least 15thousand it's not like they won't get the numbers.

Yeah, they'll get the numbers applying but the problem is that half of them are chunky monkeys and call of duty heroes that can't 20 sit-ups/pull-ups or run 1.5 miles

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/defence-forces-fitness-test-lot-6340365

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/society-blamed-for-rise-in-army-of-unfit-applicants-350706.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Terry09

Got my interview and fitness test for 27th I'm part of reserve unit collins barracks boys where saying there trying to get it started up by September for both navy and army

Yeah, they'll get the numbers applying but the problem is that half of them are chunky monkeys and call of duty heroes that can't 20 sit-ups/pull-ups or run 1.5 miles.

Yeah I seen that article there awhile ago it's madness people go to these tests with no preparation done whatsover, a fair bit off training and you'd do fairly well. I have my prep done and reckon I'll ace it hopefully

• Advertisement

Terry09 wrote: »
    Got my interview and fitness test for 27th I'm part of reserve unit collins barracks boys where saying there trying to get it started up by September for both navy and army

Good stuff pal I'll see ye up there so. Hopefully the recruitment process goes fairly quick and not months if it's done by September it would be good.

Good stuff pal I'll see ye up there so. Hopefully the recruitment process goes fairly quick and not months if it's done by September it would be good.

The push ups and sit ups are easy and the run is just a piss tbh just don't stop or u will.fail I've done 15kg on my back running around collins barrack done it in 40 mins 10 km run for my fitness test with the reserve just make sure your up for the warm ups in the gym they will try to get u tired as u can and straight into the push and sit ups

The push ups and sit ups are easy and the run is just a piss tbh just don't stop or u will.fail I've done 15kg on my back running around collins barrack done it in 40 mins 10 km run for my fitness test with the reserve just make sure your up for the warm ups in the gym they will try to get u tired as u can and straight into the push and sit ups

Ye I'm doing 2.4 km twice a day once in the morning and once at night I've being doing that for a good while now and I'm getting 45 press ups and 30 sit ups in a minute done so I'll reckon I'll breeze trough the PT. Any tips for the interview?

Ye I'm doing 2.4 km twice a day once in the morning and once at night I've being doing that for a good while now and I'm getting 45 press ups and 30 sit ups in a minute done so I'll reckon I'll breeze trough the PT. Any tips for the interview?

Yeah make sure you talk about Team work how You helped someone or.member when under pressure they want to.hear this alot and keep eye contact keep talking about how much you like been involved in a team

Yeah make sure you talk about Team work how You helped someone or.member when under pressure they want to.hear this alot and keep eye contact keep talking about how much you like been involved in a team

Will do mate thank you and best a luck

Got my fitness test for the 30th June, no mention of interview tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Utd93

A 10km loaded run in 40 minutes ?? Well that is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Utd93

Got my fitness test for the 30th June, no mention of interview tho?

Mite have to do aptitude test again

• Advertisement

Utd93 wrote: »

Sorry was 8 km

Advertisement