Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army defence forces recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tommf

Anyone any idea what would be the best way to train now for a week, I been doing a bit of running but not enough, should I go for run every day now or is that to much??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Terry09

Yeah train twice a week morning and night try to track yourself get the Nike app make sure stay off drink fags ****ty food and do up hill training get the muscles going burning do it from today till Saturday take break and light jog Sunday should improve your fitness to pass this I've the same test bring plenty of water cause they try to get yah tired as they can to see can u handle it and move onto the jog straight away after the sit ups and push ups

Terry09 wrote: »
    Yeah train twice a week morning and night try to track yourself get the Nike app make sure stay off drink fags ****ty food and do up hill training get the muscles going burning do it from today till Saturday take break and light jog Sunday should improve your fitness to pass this I've the same test bring plenty of water cause they try to get yah tired as they can to see can u handle it and move onto the jog straight away after the sit ups and push ups

Thanks for reply, you mean run twice a day then. not twice a week yea?

Tommf wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, you mean run twice a day then. not twice a week yea?

When you wake up.in the morning jog and do another jog at night try to be doing 3km without stopping push yourself untill you can't cause alot of people think this is easy but it's not for some they get sick after few minutes and when they start the jogging never sprint at the start cause there the people who will end up getting sick its always the way good pace and then towards the last 3 laps try push yourself bud

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rkrk

The push ups and sit ups are easy and the run is just a piss tbh just don't stop or u will.fail I've done 15kg on my back running around collins barrack done it in 40 mins 10 km run for my fitness test with the reserve just make sure your up for the warm ups in the gym they will try to get u tired as u can and straight into the push and sit ups

ive the fitness test for the reserves in a few weeks, i thought it was 2.4km run and press ups and sit ups?

• Advertisement

rkrk wrote: »
    ive the fitness test for the reserves in a few weeks, i thought it was 2.4km run and press ups and sit ups?

You will go into the gym first and do push ups and sit ups if you fail any of them u won't be able to do the running it's 2.4km 1.5 mile

You will go into the gym first and do push ups and sit ups if you fail any of them u won't be able to do the running it's 2.4km 1.5 mile

ya ive done it before too. just asking cos u said yours was carrying a weight for 8km? thought it was always the same test?

rkrk wrote: »
    ya ive done it before too. just asking cos u said yours was carrying a weight for 8km? thought it was always the same test?

Yeah that was part of my training with the reserve forces the fitness test next week is the push ups and sit ups and mile and half run

What would yous recommend the morning of the test, would it be best not to eat anything??

What would yous recommend the morning of the test, would it be best not to eat anything??

Definitely something very small and light and have it 2 hours before hand cause u will either cramp up to death have cereal and tea bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No, definitely have yourself a good breakfast in advance of it and get plenty of fluids on board. The test itself is nothing. Few push ups and sit ups and a jog, but you might be spending a good bit of time in a warm gym and then out in the sun so you want nutrition and hydration to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Any applicant for the Defence Forces who finds 20 push ups, 20 sit ups and a 1.5 mile run even remotely difficult, needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Definitely something very small and light and have it 2 hours before hand cause u will either cramp up to death have cereal and tea bud

Cramp up? Cereal and tea?

Are you on the wind up?

tea dehydrates so i wouldnt recommend that. if you were having cereal have porridge as it has slow releasing carbs.
    fruit like bananas are essential, which i would have just before i go in, and mabye an egg or two and a good bit of water, bring water with you too. mabye a quick snack for afterwards too.

What about a protein shake aswel? I know a Mile and a half run shouldn't b difficult, but I haven't played any sports r done cardio training in quite a while, until a short while ago I started training for this, I can do the mile and half run under the time but it definitely isn't easy for me

depending on which one you get, most shakes are best used after training for recovery and getting the best from your workout. im sure there are some on the market that give a quick boost with caffeine or other things like that

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Hi Tommf,

As a Physical Training Instructor may I please just say stop worrying so much.

You will be find.

Eat a normal healthy breakfast at your normal breakfast time.
    (Porridge or Weetabiz (I like to add a banana or raisins, a slice of toast with peanut butter and your tea/coffee)

If let's say your test is for 1100hrs.

At 1015 eat your last snack, a regular banana would be spot on and a small bottle of water.

This will give you tonnes of energy and hydrate you properly (also you will want a wee about 20 mins after so your bladder will then be empty for the run by 1100 while your body will still be fully hydrated)

Refill your water bottle but only take small sips of it during the exercise periods (you will be nervous so you may want to wee again, this is completely find, you will be let use the head at any point except during the tests, put up your hand & ask may I etc. no problem at all)

The best of luck and don't stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Darrenm4737

Did my interview and fitness test in Collins barracks last week walked the fitness test and feel i did well in the interview anyone have any idea when you'll here anything or has anyone heard anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Did my interview and fitness test in Collins barracks last week walked the fitness test and feel i did well in the interview anyone have any idea when you'll here anything or has anyone heard anything ?

Same as that ...
    When I was there we were told that we would receive an email Monday (4-7-16) three days ago to say if we were successful in the interview. I haven't received anything anyway and by the looks of it nobody has.
    I wouldn't worry about it though, no news is good news when it comes to army recruitment.

do you have to wear a full suit for the naval recruit interview??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 clmbrgn96

Did interview and fitness test in Athlone on 4th of July. Passed fitness test. No word back since.

In relation to garda vetting i was told in email to bring a list of past addresses and i brought it with me but it was never requested on the day? Only ever had one adress anyway...

Will this impact the vetting process?

Wel for the naval fitness test we all filled out the Garda vetting forms they had to be filled out exactly right wit no mistake because it's a machine dat reads the forms they said so I can imagine you will definitely have to fill out those forms. Did everyone at interview wear a suit?

I didn't have to fill out any garda vetting form... They just told us to bring a list of addresses...

I think its best to wear a suit. But a shirt and tie is next best thing... Basically a suit without the jacket is fine too.

clmbrgn96 wrote: »
    I didn't have to fill out any garda vetting form... They just told us to bring a list of addresses...

I think its best to wear a suit. But a shirt and tie is next best thing... Basically a suit without the jacket is fine too.

I had mine in Collins barracks cork and we were told to wear a track suit to the interview

They said in my email to "dress smart, ie. Shirt and tie"

Did you have to give them a list of previous addresses for the garda vetting?

They said in my email to "dress smart, ie. Shirt and tie"

Did you have to give them a list of previous addresses for the garda vetting?

Yeah if you had previous addresses you had to state that mate

Yeah if you had previous addresses you had to state that mate

Alright... Don't have any previous addresses mind so... Did you have to fill out a garda vetting form? I don't think i had to for some reason...

Alright... Don't have any previous addresses mind so... Did you have to fill out a garda vetting form? I don't think i had to for some reason...

Yeah I had to do one and it needed to be perfect so if you did something wrong you had to throw it away and start again

When did u do your interview? As far as i know for garda vetting the employer has to first send you out the form...

• Advertisement

When did u do your interview? As far as i know for garda vetting the employer has to first send you out the form...

28 of June I think. And the very end of the day we went to this room and did out the Garda vetting forms

Advertisement