Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish army defence forces recruitment 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bogdan91

Ciaran.m wrote: »
    Yeah you should hear something by febuary, all the best

Cheers bud same to you !

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Not much 2016 lads will be took to galway, only a few of em so the majority of us will be took in febuary 16th.(cork).

I did my medical back in early October for 1bde ... So how certain are you we are going to cork in February? Amy info is appreciated.. Cheers lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

PaddyB870 wrote: »
    I'm from Galway so I'm really hoping to get an offer from Galway, nothing yet so far

A friend of mine from Galway is being sent to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Ciaran.m

I did my medical back in early October for 1bde ... So how certain are you we are going to cork in February? Amy info is appreciated.. Cheers lad.

Hows things, im pretty sure we have like a 90% chance of being called, 88 recruits are being inducted atleast 15will drop out so thats over 100 called. And considering te army MO told me that just over 100 (lets say 120) will be called for medicals (1bde) and im sure a few failed it. And cork starts on january 16th not febuary lad, 2 platoons is alot they must be going mad to get lads in! Just stick through and youll be in soon buddy :)

Donal55 wrote: »
    A friend of mine from Galway is being sent to Athlone.

Is your friend 2015 or 2016. because the 2015 lads are being flaked around the country haha some from the border were even called to limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Is your friend 2015 or 2016. because the 2015 lads are being flaked around the country haha some from the border were even called to limerick

2016. Did the medical about 6 weeks back in Bricin's I believe.

Thats strange lad, lets just hope they dont mess us around man and keep 1bde/2bde seperate

But think of it, athlone is fairly close to galway so its better for him

One second lad you confused the balls off me haha! your friend must have applied for 2bde if he done his medical in dublin.. paddy is from galway too bud he applied for 1bde. so whatever brigade you apply for determines which barracks you go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

I think anyone who signs up for the DF on the new contracts is crazy. But, if it's only a 5 year military experience ye are after, with no expectations of decent wages, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

I love a man in uniform!! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

b_mac2 wrote: »
    I think anyone who signs up for the DF on the new contracts is crazy. But, if it's only a 5 year military experience ye are after, with no expectations of decent wages, then go for it.

Before anyone joins lets get a few facts straight.

1 Your wages will never be above 350 euro as a 3 star private.
    2 Your not going overseas in your first five years.
    3 You'll be posted to wherever there are vacancies, the army doesnt give a **** about your home place.
    4 You'll work for less then a euro an hour while on guard duties.
    5 You'll be belittled daily by senior NCO's that havent so much as a Junior Certificate to there name.
    6 You'll spend 70% of your time in work hiding in a locker room and being told to clean areas that are clean already.
    7 The army will in no way help you to pursue any outside interests such as part time education etc the exception here being if you compete nationally or internationally at something.
    8 You will be thrown out after 5 years if your not a corporal. Being a corporal after 5 years although not impossible for exceptional cases is highly unlikely.

How do I know all this?
    Just wasted the last 5 years of my life in the army. Currently studying so cant leave yet but cant wait to see the back of it. Wish someone I had known personally would have told me the info above as I might have reconsidered applying.

In short make sure you talk to someone who has joined the army in the last five years before you enlist as they will be able to back up the statements I have made as my experiences are not isolated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Horusire wrote: »
    Before anyone joins lets get a few facts straight.

1 Your wages will never be above 350 euro as a 3 star private.

False. I was making more than this.
    2 Your not going overseas in your first five years.

I know plenty of guys who have been overseas faster than that.
    3 You'll be posted to wherever there are vacancies, the army doesnt give a **** about your home place.

Basically true, but they do try to accommodate people where possible.
    4 You'll work for less then a euro an hour while on guard duties.

After tax a new entrant to the DF makes about €33 for a 24 hour duty.
    5 You'll be belittled daily by senior NCO's that havent so much as a Junior Certificate to there name.

Depends on the NCO. Not been my experience.
    6 You'll spend 70% of your time in work hiding in a locker room and being told to clean areas that are clean already.
    7 The army will in no way help you to pursue any outside interests such as part time education etc the exception here being if you compete nationally or internationally at something.

Not completely wrong. You can seek out opportunities for yourself within the job and if you're just hiding and doing nothing then you're probably not doing that. As for education, yeah, the army isn't really interested unless they're sending you on a leaving cert course or something. That's hardly a surprise though is it?
    8 You will be thrown out after 5 years if your not a corporal. Being a corporal after 5 years although not impossible for exceptional cases is highly unlikely.

Incorrect. Being an NCO has nothing to do with the requirements to renew your contract after 5 years.
    How do I know all this?
    Just wasted the last 5 years of my life in the army. Currently studying so cant leave yet but cant wait to see the back of it. Wish someone I had known personally would have told me the info above as I might have reconsidered applying.

In short make sure you talk to someone who has joined the army in the last five years before you enlist as they will be able to back up the statements I have made as my experiences are not isolated.

I think your experiences are a poor reflection on the defence forces as a whole. With regard to the prospect for getting a civilian education through the army, that's a question of expectations management as much as anything. Hope you find what you're looking for on the outside, but I wouldn't write off the army either for new entrants provided they actually do have realistic expectations coming in.

Its been 3 weeks since my medical so have I passed and how certain are you that you pass after 3 weeks without getting a phone call from medical officer?

Bogdan91 wrote: »
    Its been 3 weeks since my medical so have I passed and how certain are you that you pass after 3 weeks without getting a phone call from medical officer?

A buddy of mine rang the MO 3wks after he done his medical and he wanted to know if he passed, the MO said that if you dont hear from us within 3 weeks of when you dont the medical , you passed. They only contact you if there was something wrong with your bloods they dont let you know you passed. So the next email we get is enlistment.

A buddy of mine rang the MO 3wks after he done his medical and he wanted to know if he passed, the MO said that if you dont hear from us within 3 weeks of when you dont the medical , you passed. They only contact you if there was something wrong with your bloods they dont let you know you passed. So the next email we get is enlistment.

Cheers bud thanks for the reply 👌

Cheers bud thanks for the reply 👌

Anytime man, let us know how you get on :)

Anytime man, let us know how you get on :)

Will do bud same to you ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

How long did the medical take for you guys?

• Advertisement

SeanD123 wrote: »
    How long did the medical take for you guys?

For me it took just over 5 hrs because the MO couldnt find my veins and she litterally made me drink water for an hour so she could find my veins haha, so i was the second last person out. You shouldnt be longer that 4.5hours man.....unless your like me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

False. I was making more than this.

I spoke to a new entrant last week in the glen whos take home pay was 280 euro.
    I know plenty of guys who have been overseas faster than that.

As do I, however there has been over 2000 people recruited in the last 5 years and at least 1250 (guess work of a figure possible more) of these have not gone overseas yet which creates a backlog for 2016 entrants.
    After tax a new entrant to the DF makes about €33 for a 24 hour duty.

I was referring to take home pay. But 33 gross sounds about right.
    Depends on the NCO. Not been my experience.

Far enough, Some are very professional others are gravely inept.
    Not completely wrong. You can seek out opportunities for yourself within the job and if you're just hiding and doing nothing then you're probably not doing that. As for education, yeah, the army isn't really interested unless they're sending you on a leaving cert course or something. That's hardly a surprise though is it?

In the newly published white paper on defence there is an entire section that is dedicated to improving educational opportunities for enlisted ranks. It has also been brought up at the PDFORRA annual conference for the last two years and let still there are no schemes being ran.
    Incorrect. Being an NCO has nothing to do with the requirements to renew your contract after 5 years.

Check your contract, From 2013 all new entrants have to have completed an NCO course to sign on. That is in black and white.
    I think your experiences are a poor reflection on the defence forces as a whole. With regard to the prospect for getting a civilian education through the army, that's a question of expectations management as much as anything. Hope you find what you're looking for on the outside, but I wouldn't write off the army either for new entrants provided they actually do have realistic expectations coming in.

I think my experiences are an honest reflection of life as a young private in the Defence forces. While poor, they are also alot better than what any of the young lads posting in this thread can expect. Do you disagree with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Horusire wrote: »
    I spoke to a new entrant last week in the glen whos take home pay was 280 euro.

As a recruit maybe. That's what I was on myself. As a private after two years I was taking home €370.
    As do I, however there has been over 2000 people recruited in the last 5 years and at least 1250 (guess work of a figure possible more) of these have not gone overseas yet which creates a backlog for 2016 entrants.

Remember now that for new entrants with the expanded UNIFIL mission there are now over 50% more personnel overseas at a given time than at any stage in the last five years too. That's an increase in opportunities for overseas service. I'm not saying anyone will be overseas quickly, but it's not unrealistic to expect to get over in five years now.
    I was referring to take home pay. But 33 gross sounds about right.

Gross is €50.09, there in black and white on your pay slip. Take home is approximately €33.
    Far enough, Some are very professional others are gravely inept.

That's just life I'm afraid. Same everywhere.
    In the newly published white paper on defence there is an entire section that is dedicated to improving educational opportunities for enlisted ranks. It has also been brought up at the PDFORRA annual conference for the last two years and let still there are no schemes being ran.

There are leaving cert schemes and the like alright but they're hard to get. Realistically, the army is not your best prospect for education. Completely agree there.
    Check your contract, From 2013 all new entrants have to have completed an NCO course to sign on. That is in black and white.

No, it's not, at all. I was a post-2013 entrant and it wasn't in the contract at all. You had to have it by 12 years when I joined, and that was in black and white.
    I think my experiences are an honest reflection of life as a young private in the Defence forces. While poor, they are also alot better than what any of the young lads posting in this thread can expect. Do you disagree with that?

I can't say I agree that your experiences are reflective of mine, let alone what anyone posting here might expect from a career, whether short or long term, in the defence forces. I'm certainly not doubting that your views are an honest reflection of your experiences but as I say, there are opportunities now that haven't been there for a long time, and who can tell what the future holds either? I'd advise anyone to be well informed going in but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from the army either if they wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Girly_Hazel

Hi guys,
    Has anyone applied for the Navy and had their medical in October? I had mine on the 4th and still haven't heard anything yet.. I was told by the naval officer that recruits start on the 14th of November. Would they let you know soon after your medical if you failed ?
    thanks ,
    Hazel

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bellurganreg. Christian

Is there anyone else from 2 bde still waiting on a email regarding when to do they're medical ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RoryMcGrath92

Is there anyone else from 2 bde still waiting on a email regarding when to do they're medical ?

I am still waiting on word about medical you pass fitness in athlone or cathal brugha?

• Advertisement

Did mine in Cathal Brugha, I've just been wondering if it's only me but if your the same they must still be doing them then ?

Did mine in Cathal Brugha, I've just been wondering if it's only me but if your the same they must still be doing them then ?
    theres a platoon going into Cathal Brugha in December.. your medical will more than likely be in 2017 when they are ready to take in another platoon. Next Monday the 14th there is a platoon going into Galway and Athlone. I say yous will be waiting till 2017

theres a platoon going into Cathal Brugha in December.. your medical will more than likely be in 2017 when they are ready to take in another platoon. Next Monday the 14th there is a platoon going into Galway and Athlone. I say yous will be waiting till 2017

That would make sense, thanks for the reply

How sure are you that there is a platoon in cathul brugha in December? Thks

I know a few lads in Cathal Brugha and one of them told me .. he could have just heard it but there's definitely a platoon going into Athlone and Galway next Monday. Just because you applied to 2bde doesn't mean you will be in Cathal Brugha... you could go to Athlone or anywhere really.. and if you do your recruit to 2 star training in Cathal Brugha you will be sent somewhere else for 2-3 star training as Cathal Brugha do not do 2-3 star training.. Who knew a girl could know so much :) haha

Didn't even know that haha I done my medical 3 weeks ago hoping I get an offer in cathal brugha if there taking in a platoon in December 👌 cheers for the info

• Advertisement

Didn't even know that haha I done my medical 3 weeks ago hoping I get an offer in cathal brugha if there taking in a platoon in December 👌 cheers for the info

Yeah you might hear at the end of November if you're going in in December :) Good luck !!

Yeah you might hear at the end of November if you're going in in December :) Good luck !!

Cheers same to you :)

Are you allowed to drink water while fasting for the medical?

Are you allowed to drink water while fasting for the medical?

Yeah .. but only water .. no other drink or food :) they'll tell you in the email they send you

Yeah .. but only water .. no other drink or food :) they'll tell you in the email they send you

Thanks for the reply! Yeah the e mail I got just said fast from 7pm

Thanks for the reply! Yeah the e mail I got just said fast from 7pm

Oh right well my email had that you can drink water and you always can.. but only water :) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14 john43

Has anybody that done medical in cork the 19th of october heard anything back yet

john43 wrote: »
    Has anybody that done medical in cork the 19th of october heard anything back yet

I think you only hear back if you fail

I think you only hear back if you fail

Ah nice one just wondering what the crack was with it, just wanna find out what story is

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Darrenm4737

I'm a 2016 applicant did my medical in October and I got a phone call this morning saying I start on Monday in Galway very short notice but sure ..

• Advertisement

I'm a 2016 applicant did my medical in October and I got a phone call this morning saying I start on Monday in Galway very short notice but sure ..

What date was your medical mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

What date was your medical mate?

In fairness that's harsh, no notice at all! ..
    Well done anyway lad, have a blast. Be some craic :)

In fairness that's harsh, no notice at all! ..
    Well done anyway lad, have a blast. Be some craic :)

Did anyone else get a phonecall today about starting monday in galway that did. a medical in october?

Did anyone else get a phonecall today about starting monday in galway that did. a medical in october?

Nope did medical 19th October but got email saying medical successful

Nope did medical 19th October but got email saying medical successful

You got an email saying medical was successfull when was that?

You got an email saying medical was successfull when was that?

Yep this morning bud

Yep this morning bud

I dont think I got that email that mean I failed. or what?

No some people say if you dont get email you passed but if they call you within 3 weeks its a fail , how long ago did u do your medical?

No, they will always let people know that failed before they send out any emails to people that were successful. Usually they don't let you know that you were successful they just send you a start date. They would always let you know if you failed because they have to tell you what was wrong with your bloods.

• Advertisement

No, they will always let people know that failed before they send out any emails to people that were successful. Usually they don't let you know that you were successful they just send you a start date. They would always let you know if you failed because they have to tell you what was wrong with your bloods.
    Eh I did my medical the 19th lad. I have a different number since then though so would they of emailed me saying if there was something wrong

Advertisement