Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerald Barry. How did it happen?

Options
  • 12-01-2016 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

After reading all about his troubled life. I can't help but wonder, how such a human being was roaming Galway's streets at the time of Manuela Riedos's tragic death

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

After reading all about his troubled life. I can't help but wonder, how such a human being was roaming Galway's streets at the time of Manuela Riedos's tragic death

Under funded and ineffective justice system

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And the social workers (sic) who, frankly, didn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The engineers in Irish Rail (and the planners in city hall who turned a blind eye) who turned the railway path into what one local resident described to me as a "rape tunnel".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ah yeah, sure it was everyone's fault but his.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, sure it was everyone's fault but his.

The original question was "how such a human being was roaming Galway's streets".

No one's saying he's not responsible.

But wasn't exactly a good kid gone bad.

Everything I've read suggests that his entire life was a systemic failure from the get-go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

In my opinion "How he happened" should not even be discussed here...No facts or figures can explain the brutal murder of a young woman. He doesn't deserve a discussion as no amount of "what if's" or "who's fault it was" will bring that woman back... She deserves to be remembered not him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

She wasn't even the first person he'd killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Some people are plain evil. If he hadn't been caught for this murder, how many others would he have gone on to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Anybody know if Michael Houlihan has been released yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

http://presspack.rte.ie/2005/07/16/cracking-crime-16/

This case you mean ? Assume he has at this stage .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MarysCurtins

bagels wrote: »
    Anybody know if Michael Houlihan has been released yet?

Still in custody. OH knows one of his family, best place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'm out foreign. Can someone fill me in or give me a link to a news source? No idea what's going on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I'm out foreign. Can someone fill me in or give me a link to a news source? No idea what's going on here.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/the-barry-case-highlights-the-pressing-need-for-legal-reform-97272.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0321/115386-riedom/

smurf492 wrote: »
    In my opinion "How he happened" should not even be discussed here...No facts or figures can explain the brutal murder of a young woman. He doesn't deserve a discussion as no amount of "what if's" or "who's fault it was" will bring that woman back... She deserves to be remembered not him

Not saying that she doesn't deserve to be remembered.

But those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.

The only way to learn is to say "How did this happen? What needs to be different so it doesn't happen again?"

Very few people are born evil. They're turned that way by what happens to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

The engineers in Irish Rail (and the planners in city hall who turned a blind eye) who turned the railway path into what one local resident described to me as a "rape tunnel".

And how did they do that, then? First prize for moronic tabloidesque slanderous comment goes to you. Well done,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Very recently someone told me that they were jogging along that track in the late evening at dusk, and were attacked by some scumbag who tried to punch them - they managed to return a punch in kind and the scumbag fled, but it's frightening to think that it's still a no-go spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

When i was in the RTC(GMITnow) back in 97 it was a no go spot.Even during the day, i would walk the long way from Eyre sq to the college rather than go down the track... Many others did and probably do the same. It's way too dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

he raped a girl before that too, isnt that how they matched the DNA with manuela?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

he raped a girl before that too, isnt that how they matched the DNA with manuela?

Yes, his DNA was matched to the rape of a French student seven weeks prior to the Manuela Reido case. He told her he would let her go if she did something to him, then raped her twice more. She was so traumatisd afterwards that she couldn't speak; had to write down what happened on a piece of paper.

He later sexually assaulted his partner that same night and was arrested by Gardaí, who had him as a suspect for the French girl's rape, but he was allowed out on bail. Inexplicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Yes, his DNA was matched to the rape of a French student seven weeks prior to the Manuela Reido case. He told her he would let her go if she did something to him, then raped her twice more. She was so traumatisd afterwards that she couldn't speak; had to write down what happened on a piece of paper.

He later sexually assaulted his partner that same night and was arrested by Gardaí, who had him as a suspect for the French girl's rape, but he was allowed out on bail. Inexplicable.

Serial rapist killers deserve bail apparently.

• Advertisement

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    And how did they do that, then? First prize for moronic tabloidesque slanderous comment goes to you. Well done,

The path was originally provided so that troops from the Barracks could attend mass. From memory it was specified in either the 1999 or 2004 City Development Plans (or both) for preservation and upgrade as a pedestrian route into the city.

Then Irish rail came along and took significant chunk off the width of the existing path. They also took out the previous concrete post type fencing and put in 2m+ steel palisade fencing with spikes on top.

The effect is like a wall of steel, it also has the effect of making it much harder to see up and down the path as the fencing now blocks line of sight.

This is the origin of the description "rape tunnel" and this description pre-dates the attack on Manuela Riedo.

I will PM you my name and address in case you feel you wish to pursue any accusations of slander through the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The path was originally provided so that troops from the Barracks could attend mass.

there is a church outside the door of the barracks so i dont understand this belief

there is a church outside the door of the barracks so i dont understand this belief

Off topic but anyway

Could it be possible that the presence of members of the Catholic faith*** in certain groups of people pre-dates the construction of particular churches?

*** Or any other religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

dunno, i walked that line plenty of times as a kid,alone,was known long before barry that it was a haunt for undesirables,that poor girl could not have known not being local,he was well known years before this happened,very well known in fact,lots of crimes,i knew him when he was under 15 as i lived in the general area. a loose cannon even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Off topic but anyway

Could it be possible that the presence of members of the Catholic faith*** in certain groups of people pre-dates the construction of particular churches?

*** Or any other religion.

The church was indeed built by a commander of the barracks to save the troops marching into town in the rain.

The path itself is quite narrow in places now.
    It can be hard to pass someone with a bike coming the other way on some parts, it could do with being widened.
    I still use it occasionally but only during day light hours, you can meet a good few people using it on say a saturday afternoon.
    Irish Rail are a bit over protective of their tracks, in Portugal much of them are not fenced at all and you can walk across them to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

And the social workers (sic) who, frankly, didn't.
    Bit of a generalisation there. All social workers are lazy? Or just the ones assigned to the Barrys? And you know this how?

serfboard wrote: »
    Bit of a generalisation there. All social workers are lazy? Or just the ones assigned to the Barrys? And you know this how?

I never said they were lazy. I just said that they didn't do the job. I have no idea why, or how many of them were involved with the family. Or even if they were - perhaps no one reported the situation at all!

But next time you see a neighbour abusing or neglecting their kids and you think twice about making that phone call to CFA, remember this case and pick up the phone.

Advertisement