Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues trying to get a landline in a new build

Options
  • 12-01-2016 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have been trying to get a landline in my new house since October.  In order to get the landline, we will need a telephone pole installed.  I phoned Eir several times and spoke to several agents who didn't understand this & kept telling me to give them my phone number.

Eventually, I spoke to one agent who told me that I would need to create an order, supply my bank details & an engineer would call out.  Once the engineer recorded that work was required to be carried out, I was told to call back and cancel the order so as not to incur any charges while the work was being carried out.  On November 2nd, I received a text message from Eir giving me my new phone number.  On the 9th of November, an engineer called and verified that a telephone pole was required.  I duly called Eir back and explained the whole situation again to another agent & as per the first agents advice cancelled the order.

No pole ever arrived.  On the Dec 22nd, I again called Eir to find out what was happening, only to be told that as the order was cancelled, the work was cancelled.  I was told that I would have to set up the account all over again. 

On Jan 5th, I again called Eir to get the account set up.  A Customer Service agent then told me that I cannot have a landline because there are no ports available in the nearest box to our home.  I asked to speak to his manager, who was apparently in a meeting & the agent assured me that the manager would call me back - I am still waiting for him to return my call a week later.

I then sent a complaint letter to Eir on Jan 6th.  On Jan 8th, another agent left me a voicemail to say that they could offer me a fixed cellular service.  In the voicemail, she said that this was basically a landline but via satellite instead of cable & to call back if I was interested.

Yesterday, Jan 11th, I called back and first spoke to an agent in the residential dept, who said she couldn't set it up so she transferred me to the business dept.  I spoke to two agents in the business dept, neither of whom seemed to have any idea as to what a "fixed cellular service" is.  One of them suggested it was a mobile phone service - I don't want a mobile phone, I want a landline.

I asked this agent to get the girl from Complaints who had suggested this service to me to call me back - again I am still waiting on this return call.

All in all, this is very frustrating.  I have no idea where to go now.  Every time I call Eir, I speak to another agent & in spite of giving them the account number, they don't seem to be able to help.  All I want is a landline installed in my house - surely as a phone company, that should be easy enough to get off you?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been trying to get a landline in my new house since October.  In order to get the landline, we will need a telephone pole installed.  I phoned Eir several times and spoke to several agents who didn't understand this & kept telling me to give them my phone number.

Eventually, I spoke to one agent who told me that I would need to create an order, supply my bank details & an engineer would call out.  Once the engineer recorded that work was required to be carried out, I was told to call back and cancel the order so as not to incur any charges while the work was being carried out.  On November 2nd, I received a text message from Eir giving me my new phone number.  On the 9th of November, an engineer called and verified that a telephone pole was required.  I duly called Eir back and explained the whole situation again to another agent & as per the first agents advice cancelled the order.

No pole ever arrived.  On the Dec 22nd, I again called Eir to find out what was happening, only to be told that as the order was cancelled, the work was cancelled.  I was told that I would have to set up the account all over again. 

On Jan 5th, I again called Eir to get the account set up.  A Customer Service agent then told me that I cannot have a landline because there are no ports available in the nearest box to our home.  I asked to speak to his manager, who was apparently in a meeting & the agent assured me that the manager would call me back - I am still waiting for him to return my call a week later.

I then sent a complaint letter to Eir on Jan 6th.  On Jan 8th, another agent left me a voicemail to say that they could offer me a fixed cellular service.  In the voicemail, she said that this was basically a landline but via satellite instead of cable & to call back if I was interested.

Yesterday, Jan 11th, I called back and first spoke to an agent in the residential dept, who said she couldn't set it up so she transferred me to the business dept.  I spoke to two agents in the business dept, neither of whom seemed to have any idea as to what a "fixed cellular service" is.  One of them suggested it was a mobile phone service - I don't want a mobile phone, I want a landline.

I asked this agent to get the girl from Complaints who had suggested this service to me to call me back - again I am still waiting on this return call.

All in all, this is very frustrating.  I have no idea where to go now.  Every time I call Eir, I speak to another agent & in spite of giving them the account number, they don't seem to be able to help.  All I want is a landline installed in my house - surely as a phone company, that should be easy enough to get off you?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Shoe Lover

Thank you for contacting us here,

I can fully understand your disappointment on reflection of what you have detailed above and I would like to apologise for the poor level of support and updates previously offered on your order for a land line.

It seems that it has been deemed by engineers that a normal line cannot be installed in to your house but a Fixed cellular service (FCS) line can be. This is not a mobile phone but does indeed indeed use different infrastructure to normal lines.

Usually when a FCS line is recommended by engineer the order for the normal line is cancelled and confirmation letter will be sent to you advising of FCS. along with some details on it's technical specifics.

I am sorry to confirm that broadband is not compatible with FCS and as such eir will be unable to offer you broadband should you request it.

An FCS line is in compliance with the universal service obligation for a working phone line set by Comreg - the communications regulator

Universal service means the basic services that should be available to all people and organizations.Together these are known as the universal service obligation (USO). In the case of telecommunications, this includes:

providing access (phone lines) at a fixed location,
    providing printed phone directories,
    providing public payphones,
    providing services to disabled users, and
    introducing methods to help consumers control spending and keep costs affordable.

An line serves all such purposes.

- See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/universal_service_obligation___what_it_means_for_your_phone_service.264.LE.asp#sthash.hZkSVfXO.dpuf

If you would like to PM me your order number I will be happy to look in to this and request that the documentation for an FCS line is sent to you

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Shoe Lover

I can fully understand your disappointment on reflection of what you have detailed above and I would like to apologise for the poor level of support and updates previously offered on your order for a land line.

It seems that it has been deemed by engineers that a normal line cannot be installed in to your house but a Fixed cellular service (FCS) line can be. This is not a mobile phone but does indeed indeed use different infrastructure to normal lines.

Usually when a FCS line is recommended by engineer the order for the normal line is cancelled and confirmation letter will be sent to you advising of FCS. along with some details on it's technical specifics.

I am sorry to confirm that broadband is not compatible with FCS and as such eir will be unable to offer you broadband should you request it.

An FCS line is in compliance with the universal service obligation for a working phone line set by Comreg - the communications regulator

Universal service means the basic services that should be available to all people and organizations.Together these are known as the universal service obligation (USO). In the case of telecommunications, this includes:

introducing methods to help consumers control spending and keep costs affordable.

- See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/universal_service_obligation___what_it_means_for_your_phone_service.264.LE.asp#sthash.hZkSVfXO.dpuf

If you would like to PM me your order number I will be happy to look in to this and request that the documentation for an FCS line is sent to you

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

I sent you a PM this morning & have since tried to call Eir again.  Once again, the information that the agent today gave me is at odds with what the agent told me yesterday.  Yesterday, I was told that I could have a cabled landline & efibre broadband, today I'm being told that I can only have this FCS line - which again, today's agent actually didn't know anything about.

I would appreciate a prompt reply to my PM.

Regards

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Shoe Lover

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

I sent you a PM this morning & have since tried to call Eir again.  Once again, the information that the agent today gave me is at odds with what the agent told me yesterday.  Yesterday, I was told that I could have a cabled landline & efibre broadband, today I'm being told that I can only have this FCS line - which again, today's agent actually didn't know anything about.

I would appreciate a prompt reply to my PM.

Regards
    Hi Shoe Lover

I had asked you to PM me your order number so I can look in to this for you however you had PM'd me asking could somebody you were speaking to call you back - I am genuinely sorry but without a surname of the agent I will not be locate them - If you could please PM me the order numbers I will be happy to look in to this further.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Shoe Lover

I had asked you to PM me your order number so I can look in to this for you however you had PM'd me asking could somebody you were speaking to call you back - I am genuinely sorry but without a surname of the agent I will not be locate them - If you could please PM me the order numbers I will be happy to look in to this further.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Typical of Eir that you cannot speak to the same person twice.  Not to worry - at this point, I will be leaving it to ComReg to deal with.

Regards

Hi Shoe Lover

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Typical of Eir that you cannot speak to the same person twice.  Not to worry - at this point, I will be leaving it to ComReg to deal with.

Regards
    Hi Shoe Lover

I'm sorry to hear this - I have offered to help but I'll need your order number, you did not PM this to me yet - I can't arrange a call back from a person based on the forename.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

And so the saga continues!  Six months after first trying to get a landline in my house, I still have no landline.  Yesterday, someone from the installation company came to my house to "install" the phone.  Five minutes after arriving, he informed me that he knew on Wednesday evening that he wouldn't be able to do the install because Eir have us on the wrong exchange!  He knew the day before but did nothing to correct it!  Also, the last person who came from the installation company knew that they had us on the wrong exchange & I also phoned up Eir to tell them this and they told me that KN would sort it out!

Today, I've phone Eir & been told that the order is considered to be "undeliverable" and is now cancelled.  I've been advised to ring back up and re-order my landline!  At no stage did I cancel the order.  The issue is on Eir's side (due to incompetencies) - why should I have to ring up again to now order my landline for a FOURTH time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Hi Shoe Lover,

Thank for getting in touch and I am extremely sorry to hear that this has happened.

This is not the level of service Eir aim to provide and I will be sure to relay your feedback onto the relevant department.

Unfortunately if the order is sent back to us from our engineers as unsuccessful our back office team would cancel this order of the system.

I completely understand your frustration and upset towards this and I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you would like to PM me your order number I will take a further look into this for you and arrange for the exchange to be corrected.

-Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP just in case this is for broadband, if you're more than 5KM from the exchange it won't be viable for more than 1-2Mb so don't bother.

Also if the cost of install will be more than €7000 for OpenEir they won't give you a real landline as they arent obligated to. 

ED E wrote: »
    OP just in case this is for broadband, if you're more than 5KM from the exchange it won't be viable for more than 1-2Mb so don't bother.

Also if the cost of install will be more than €7000 for OpenEir they won't give you a real landline as they arent obligated to. 
    Thanks for the info.

My current predication is with the landline.  All I want is a landline.  We can deal with Broadband after we get a landline.  

So a new order has now been placed for the FOURTH time & is supposedly being escalated through the ranks. Will see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

So a new order has now been placed for the FOURTH time & is supposedly being escalated through the ranks.  Will see what happens.
    I'm so sorry to hear this  Shoe Lover
    Please feel free to PM me the new order details and I will follow this up with the escalations team.

-Pamela 

Can someone please check the exchange issue for my order?  

KN phoned me this morning to confirm the latest appointment for installation but it turns out that the account is still registered on the wrong exchange.  The agent on the phone told me that this will mean that the installation will not be able to happen AGAIN.  I have already had two people come to my house & leave without doing anything over this error.  It's just not acceptable.

Can someone please check the exchange issue for my order?  

KN phoned me this morning to confirm the latest appointment for installation but it turns out that the account is still registered on the wrong exchange.  The agent on the phone told me that this will mean that the installation will not be able to happen AGAIN.  I have already had two people come to my house & leave without doing anything over this error.  It's just not acceptable.
    Hi Shoe Lover,

I've sent you a PM.

-Pamela 

And so it continues!

KNN phoned me yesterday morning to confirm my installation for later this week.  I asked her to check that the exchange issue had been corrected & lo and behold, we are still on the incorrect exchange.  This has been highlighted to Eir on a number of occasions & was the reason why my landline installation did not go ahead two weeks ago (see post #7 for further details).  Back on to Eir again & would you believe, that in order to fix their mistake, I now need to raise ANOTHER order!  Yes, that's correct, a FIFTH order to get my landline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You couldn't make up this up if you tried! :mad: :mad:

I'm just off a 30 minute phone call with Eir Customer Care.  I phoned to create my new order to ensure my landline goes ahead tomorrow & it doesn't appear that the issue with the exchange has been logged with them.  At least, the agent didn't seem to understand what the problem was.  In fact, she asked me what I was actually ordering!!!!!!!!!!  So according to Eir, the exchange is ok yet according to KNN, who actually do the install, it's not the right exchange.  So where do I go from here?  Should I attempt to install the landline myself because at this rate, it appears to be the only option left to me!!!!

All I know is that, in all likelihood, someone is going to come to my house tomorrow & tell me that they actually cannot install the landline AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just off a 30 minute phone call with Eir Customer Care.  I phoned to create my new order to ensure my landline goes ahead tomorrow & it doesn't appear that the issue with the exchange has been logged with them.  At least, the agent didn't seem to understand what the problem was.  In fact, she asked me what I was actually ordering!!!!!!!!!!  So according to Eir, the exchange is ok yet according to KNN, who actually do the install, it's not the right exchange.  So where do I go from here?  Should I attempt to install the landline myself because at this rate, it appears to be the only option left to me!!!!

All I know is that, in all likelihood, someone is going to come to my house tomorrow & tell me that they actually cannot install the landline AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi  Shoe Lover,

As advised by PM I have logged this issue with our wholesale team who will work on updating the exchange details once KNN has logged the correct information with us. 

I have contacted our wholesale team again this morning for further information however KNN have still not updated the issue with the exchange on our side, there are no adjustments to your order and the appointment is still in place for tomorrow with the existing exchange details I'm afraid.  Unfortunately if the details KNN have advised you is correct, we cannot move forward with this order until the exchange details are updated. 

Placing another order at this point will create more problems as the exchange details have not been updated yet, the new order placed will have the same issues as your existing one and this will create more delays so I would not recommend this.
    I have requested that the wholesale team contact KNN with the information you have given me, as soon as they come back to us with further information I will be in contact with you.

Sincere apologies for the issues you have experienced, I understand your frustration completely with this. As soon as I have an update I will be in touch.

-Pamela 

Thanks you, Pamela.

Thanks you, Pamela.
    No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Is there any update from the wholesale department?  

Hi Pamela,

Hi  Shoe Lover,

Wholesale have just came back to me and KNN have advised them "(This customer advised she did not want the tech to call out as the details we had regarding the exchange was incorrect.  [font=Calibri, sans-serif]This S/O was never trucked out and customer was advised to contact her provider[/font] )"

The previous order had an issue with the exchange as you were requesting broadband and you were too far away to avail of broadband service. The exchange should not need to be amended for this order as its an order for a line only service and if there is an issue with providing a line the technician would need to determine this.

Do you still want to proceed with this?

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela,

Hi  Shoe Lover,

Wholesale have just came back to me and KNN have advised them "(This customer advised she did not want the tech to call out as the details we had regarding the exchange was incorrect.  [font=Calibri, sans-serif]This S/O was never trucked out and customer was advised to contact her provider[/font] )"

The previous order had an issue with the exchange as you were requesting broadband and you were too far away to avail of broadband service. The exchange should not need to be amended for this order as its an order for a line only service and if there is an issue with providing a line the technician would need to determine this.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Does that mean that no one is coming to the house today?  I did not say that I did not want anyone to call out.  I asked her what would be the point of someone calling if the exchange was still incorrect?  Remember, I am only going off what the KNN engineers have told me on the two occasions that they have already come to the house.

Yes, I still want the landline installation to go ahead.  And am waiting for someone to call to my home today as agreed.

Thanks.

Hi Pamela,

Hi  Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Does that mean that no one is coming to the house today?  I did not say that I did not want anyone to call out.  I asked her what would be the point of someone calling if the exchange was still incorrect?  Remember, I am only going off what the KNN engineers have told me on the two occasions that they have already come to the house.

Yes, I still want the landline installation to go ahead.  And am waiting for someone to call to my home today as agreed.

Thanks.
    No problem Shoe Lover,

KNN seem to under the impression that there was an issue with the order and recalled the order appointment due to this.
    Our wholesale team have contacted KNN to enquire as to whether this appointment can still go ahead. As soon as they come back to me I will be in touch.

-Pamela 

No problem Shoe Lover,

KNN seem to under the impression that there was an issue with the order and recalled the order appointment due to this.
    Our wholesale team have contacted KNN to enquire as to whether this appointment can still go ahead. As soon as they come back to me I will be in touch.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

As it is nearly 3pm, it seems unlikely that anyone will call today.  

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Appointments can run up till 7pm Shoe Lover however as I was advised yesterday the appointment was recalled so I would be under the impression a technician will not attend.

"(This customer advised she did not want the tech to call out as the details we had regarding the exchange was incorrect.  This S/O was never trucked out and customer was advised to contact her provider )"

-Pamela

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Appointments can run up till 7pm Shoe Lover however as I was advised yesterday the appointment was recalled so I would be under the impression a technician will not attend.

"(This customer advised she did not want the tech to call out as the details we had regarding the exchange was incorrect.  This S/O was never trucked out and customer was advised to contact her provider )"

-Pamela
    Well given what KNN are saying, can we reschedule it to tomorrow then?

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

-Pamela
    I'm afraid there would be no available appointments for tomorrow Shoe Loverat best an escalated appointment would need to be requested in the morning for a next day appointment.

-Pamela 

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

-Pamela
    I'm afraid there would be no available appointments for tomorrow Shoe Loverat best an escalated appointment would need to be requested in the morning for a next day appointment.

-Pamela 
    This is totally ridiculous!  I didn't cancel the appointment today - someone decided that I didn't want an appointment.  And now it won't even be tomorrow?  I mean, come on, SIX months I'm trying to get a landline, SIX months!  How can this be deemed acceptable customer service?  

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

-Pamela

-Pamela 
    This is totally ridiculous!  I didn't cancel the appointment today - someone decided that I didn't want an appointment.  And now it won't even be tomorrow?  I mean, come on, SIX months I'm trying to get a landline, SIX months!  How can this be deemed acceptable customer service?  
    I can understand your frustration however as you requested the order to be placed from a different exchange Shoe Lover KNN were unable to proceed with the installation. 
    Do you want this rescheduled for another Thursday appointment or I can push for an escalated appointment or Monday if you wish?

-Pamela 

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

-Pamela

-Pamela 
    I can understand your frustration however as you requested the order to be placed from a different exchange Shoe Lover KNN were unable to proceed with the installation. 
    Do you want this rescheduled for another Thursday appointment or I can push for an escalated appointment or Monday if you wish?

-Pamela 
    I did NOT request for the exchange to be changed.  I have been informed on two separate occasions by KNN that the exchange is incorrect.  All I asked was if it had been corrected.  This is totally ridiculous - either you know your business or you don't.  I don't know of any other business who would blame their customer for their incompetence.

Please escalate this for Monday.  

• Advertisement

No problem Shoe Lover,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

-Pamela

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    I did NOT request for the exchange to be changed.  I have been informed on two separate occasions by KNN that the exchange is incorrect.  All I asked was if it had been corrected.  This is totally ridiculous - either you know your business or you don't.  I don't know of any other business who would blame their customer for their incompetence.

Please escalate this for Monday.  
    No problem Shoe LoverI will have this flagged with KNN.

I will request this now and be back to you as soon as I have confirmation.

-Pamela 

Advertisement