Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to quit vaping

• 12-01-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭

So I have thought long and hard about it and have decided today is the day I give up vaping.

I have vaped religiously over the last 3 or so years and owe so much to it after giving up the smokes. The health benefits,sense of smell coming back, my taste coming back, my clear lungs to name but a few.

I am just tired of being addicted to something and its time to go cold turkey. I pretty much never have my ecig out of my mouth which is becoming a bit tiresome.

I am hereby retiring my Aspire Atlantis 2, iTaste MVP 3.0 and bottles of 18mg USA mix which have treated me so well.

Thanks to everyone in the Forum for all the 3rd party advice I have profited from by reading all the questions / answers I could ever need without ever having to ask a question.

I will update this thread every now and then to let people who are interested know what going cold turkey is like.

Vape on everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

So I have thought long and hard about it and have decided today is the day I give up vaping.

I have vaped religiously over the last 3 or so years and owe so much to it after giving up the smokes. The health benefits,sense of smell coming back, my taste coming back, my clear lungs to name but a few.

I am just tired of being addicted to something and its time to go cold turkey. I pretty much never have my ecig out of my mouth which is becoming a bit tiresome.

I am hereby retiring my Aspire Atlantis 2, iTaste MVP 3.0 and bottles of 18mg USA mix which have treated me so well.

Thanks to everyone in the Forum for all the 3rd party advice I have profited from by reading all the questions / answers I could ever need without ever having to ask a question.

I will update this thread every now and then to let people who are interested know what going cold turkey is like.

Vape on everyone!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Dr Bill

Vape on everyone!

Very best of luck and I hope it works out for you.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i quit vaping a few years ago after several years of hard going with it. harder at first, it gets easier. some days obviously easier than others but as time goes on you just miss it less and less

i do still think about going back every now and again, only because I really miss the cigarillos naturales and puros from el toro. I miss ecigs way more than the cigarettes but even then it's more of a nostalgic thing rather than any sort of desire I find myself needing to be wary of in case I lapse

just keep a bit of willpower on yourself for the first year or two, you'll find you need it less and less after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Best of luck to you!
    I think you'll find it tough, being on 18mg nic still!
    I'm amazed at people who have just refused to try and reduce nic levels over time.
    I started on 18 and am now on 3, which is where a lot of people I know are at now. Have tried a few 0nic juices and they are alright so I might try phasing out the nic altogether.

The debate becomes then 'why bother?'
    I think I'll always have a vape or two on hand, working on sites as I do smoking is still a big thing, and socially whenever I have a few beers inside me the temptation to smoke is sometimes unbearable. Well it would be if I didn't have my vapes with me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Best of luck to you and I hope it works out. I could only last 3 weeks off the vape before I cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Good Luck JK,I have always thought of chucking it & then the cold sweats start...LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Ok day one was a bad as I expected it to be.

At the usual times I found myself absolutely hanging for a vape. After lunch was tough and driving in the car when I usually have the thing hanging from my mouth was awful.

I faltered somewhat and got myself a pack of 2mg chewing gum to get through the day. I had 3 in total yesterday and they worked a treat to get me over the slump I found myself in.

This morning wasn't great either but I managed to fight through it. Aiming to just have 2 of the chewing gums today to get me over the worst of it.

I don't like using one nicotine replacement to replace another one so the plan is to use the gum only in dire situations and limited to 2/3 a day for the first week anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Ok day one was a bad as I expected it to be.

At the usual times I found myself absolutely hanging for a vape. After lunch was tough and driving in the car when I usually have the thing hanging from my mouth was awful.

I faltered somewhat and got myself a pack of 2mg chewing gum to get through the day. I had 3 in total yesterday and they worked a treat to get me over the slump I found myself in.

This morning wasn't great either but I managed to fight through it. Aiming to just have 2 of the chewing gums today to get me over the worst of it.

I don't like using one nicotine replacement to replace another one so the plan is to use the gum only in dire situations and limited to 2/3 a day for the first week anyway.

:D:D:D this is making me nervous already & it's you that has given it up.

Oh,and thanks for the update...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Just have a bit of a vape every now and then if you feel like it, it's not like it's smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

JH_raheny wrote: »
    Just have a bit of a vape every now and then if you feel like it, it's not like it's smoking

I know it's not the same as smoking but I still have a serious addiction to nicotine which I am trying to give up. Vaping in my opinion is 99% better than smoking but I still don't want to be dependent on anything for the rest of my life.

Yesterday was OK. Had two gums to get me through the day.

The daylight hours are the worst by far, first thing in the morning, sitting at my desk and driving in the car especially. The evening hours are not too bad thankfully.

Appetite is growing substantially which I'm also trying to keep in check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

I know it's not the same as smoking but I still have a serious addiction to nicotine which I am trying to give up. Vaping in my opinion is 99% better than smoking but I still don't want to be dependent on anything for the rest of my life.

Yesterday was OK. Had two gums to get me through the day.

The daylight hours are the worst by far, first thing in the morning, sitting at my desk and driving in the car especially. The evening hours are not too bad thankfully.

Appetite is growing substantially which I'm also trying to keep in check.

Just a thought, did you consider dropping the nic level of your liquids before stopping just to ease the shock to the system from dropping from high nic to no nic? Currently on 3mg by dropping from 12mg- 6mg- 3mg over the last year and a bit (former 30+ a day smoker). I found that the body adjusts to the lower nic level very quickly, (about a week for me) and I plan to drop to 0 nic eventually as at this stage it's more of a habit than physical addiction, and after that who knows.
    Either way I wish you the best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've thought about it myself. I'm a regular vaper, just gone 3 years, and I find I do 'depend' on it. If I can't find my IPV in the morning I panic a bit, a bit like when you think you've just lost your phone! lol.

It' the expense, and the dependency I guess, that bother me. I'm chucking about €20 notes on bottles of juice that barely last me over 2 days. That's as pricey as smoking, and one of the main reasons [besides health] that I quit smoking to begin with.

I don't really want to get into DIY, I want vaping to be simple, always have. Get a decent tank, a decent batt a nice juice, and off I go. That's how I like it. But juice makers have gone all arty-farty last 2 years, and it's the norm to see 30ml bottles for up to €24! €20 being the regular standard it seems. I know there's cheaper options, but it's always the juices I like most are the more expensive.

At the very least i feel I need to cut down, a lot.

Anyway, not hijacking, best of luck with it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've thought about it myself. I'm a regular vaper, just gone 3 years, and I find I do 'depend' on it. If I can't find my IPV in the morning I panic a bit, a bit like when you think you've just lost your phone! lol.

It' the expense, and the dependency I guess, that bother me. I'm chucking about €20 notes on bottles of juice that barely last me over 2 days. That's as pricey as smoking, and one of the main reasons [besides health] that I quit smoking to begin with.

I don't really want to get into DIY, I want vaping to be simple, always have. Get a decent tank, a decent batt a nice juice, and off I go. That's how I like it. But juice makers have gone all arty-farty last 2 years, and it's the norm to see 30ml bottles for up to €24! €20 being the regular standard it seems. I know there's cheaper options, but it's always the juices I like most are the more expensive.

At the very least i feel I need to cut down, a lot.

Anyway, not hijacking, best of luck with it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on over the next few weeks.

40 a day smoker off them 3.5 years who's gone no further than i-Sticks and Kanger Clearo's and has probably spent no more than €200 on hardware in those 3.5 years and who quickly settled on a daily vape of Liqua Cuban Cigar and buys 5x30ml a month @ €40.

€20 every 2 days?? Holy $%^& !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Calibos wrote: »
    40 a day smoker off them 3.5 years who's gone no further than i-Sticks and Kanger Clearo's and has probably spent no more than €200 on hardware in those 3.5 years and who quickly settled on a daily vape of Liqua Cuban Cigar and buys 5x30ml a month @ €40.

You've got the right idea, I keep buying sub ohm this and rebuildable that but I always go back to an iStick with a nautilius on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I recently got in to the sub-ohming thing to see what all the fuss was about. Basically just bought a subtank mini. Fook me it flys through the juice. Do I get as much pleasure out of it compared to say a higher ohmed mtl vape ? I don't think so. I much prefer my liqua FP on a higher ohm device.

I mean chain vaping a sub ohm in your living is a fooking joke. After 10 minutes I can't see my hand in front of my face for the amount of fog in the room. I'm all for saving a bit of cash but I'm spending a fortune on fancy shmancy juice and at the end of the day I always end up using my Liqua FP and an eGrip for a very satisfying vape. Back to that for me I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

TinCool wrote: »
    I recently got in to the sub-ohming thing to see what all the fuss was about. Basically just bought a subtank mini. Fook me it flys through the juice. Do I get as much pleasure out of it compared to say a higher ohmed mtl vape ? I don't think so. I much prefer my liqua FP on a higher ohm device.

I mean chain vaping a sub ohm in your living is a fooking joke. After 10 minutes I can't see my hand in front of my face for the amount of fog in the room. I'm all for saving a bit of cash but I'm spending a fortune on fancy shmancy juice and at the end of the day I always end up using my Liqua FP and an eGrip for a very satisfying vape. Back to that for me I think.

I never find the need to chain vape a sub-ohm , you are getting a much bigger hit so one or two pulls does me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

It would be nice if the shops stocked more low MG stuff,it always seems to be hard to find.I guess they want to keep their customers.

That's what I 'could' easily spend, lol, I don't have the money to actually do so. I smoked for 25 years or so, 20-30 a day which in the end was €20+ every 2 days. I have found cheaper options online, or buying bulk, but like I said, the juices I like most are €20+ a pop. And sub ohming with me, may as well drink the stuff!

I'm learning though. Simple things, like put that mod just a little further out of reach when I'm sat at the PC, I've also stopped completely, vaping when walking or out and about in town. That's helping too. I'll have the very odd sneaky puff if I'm out for a while. In pubs I'll go out to the smoking areas just as if I was heading for a fag.

Things like that can curb chain vaping.

Bought 2 bottles today, See how far that gets me. Already after refilling the Herekles once.

On sub-ohming, I will never go back to mouth-to lung low wattage vaping. I just can't ... mouth to lung is just too good ... BUT I will not go beyond 0.5 ohm coils. I could care less about huge clouds, I'm all about flavour and ... 'texture' I guess. I like thick creamy vape, so all high VG.
    col.in.Cr wrote: »
    It would be nice if the shops stocked more low MG stuff,it always seems to be hard to find.I guess they want to keep their customers.

My local [iVape] have most, if not all juices in 3/6/12 mg

Jaysis, when I think I started vaping on 24mg high pg juices, even though it was using 2.4 ohm coils, the 3-6mg high vg I'm on now is a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

Hello and a happy Friday to one and all :)

I am a fairy heavy vaper myself. I spotted an article recently that I might as well share.

E-cigarettes flavoring chemical linked to deadly lung disease

Since reading that I have switched to to a flavourless (base) liquid as it seems to be the diacetyl that is toxic.

The best of luck to the OP anyway. I think that I would find it very hard to quit vaping. I think that I will go for a puff now :)

The diacetyl thing has been floating around a long time. There has never been one incident involving someone damaging their lungs from vaping it proven. Not one. But, I guess better safe than sorry. The juice I'm vaping atm is diacetyl free anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

The diacetyl thing has been floating around a long time. There has never been one incident involving someone damaging their lungs from vaping it proven. Not one. But, I guess better safe than sorry. The juice I'm vaping atm is diacetyl free anyway :)

That's good to know. Maybe I will go back to the liquids that I used to vape and but make sure that there's no diacetyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

3mg vaper tapered down all the way from 18mg, am off the vape now 3 days, and the nicotine withdrawal is something chronic. I'm pretty sure this is for good as I was pretty sick of the chronic dryness in my mouth no matter how much water I drank.

Anybody plough through and get off the vape for good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

3mg vaper tapered down all the way from 18mg, am off the vape now 3 days, and the nicotine withdrawal is something chronic. I'm pretty sure this is for good as I was pretty sick of the chronic dryness in my mouth no matter how much water I drank.

Anybody plough through and get off the vape for good?

I'm currently at 3mg from a high of 24mg. Have about 2 weeks worth of 3mg juice left and will have some 0mg ready to go once that runs out.

Did you not vape zero mg for a while? You went from vaping 3mg to not vaping at all?

By vaping Zero mg for a few weeks, I'm hoping to get over my nic withdrawl while not having to deal with the psychological withdrawl from the hand/mouth/inhale actions at the same time. Only when through the nic withdrawl will I cut out vaping altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I started on 18mg about 7 years ago and quickly went down to 11mg. for about the last 5 years I've been on 6mg. I tried 3mg a few times over that period but I found I was chaining it all the time so always went back up to 6mg. About a month ago my body decided that 6mg was too much (i.e. feeling of tightness in my chest, anxiousness, uncomfortable feeling in bed at night) so happily vaping mostly 3mg with the odd tank of 6mg during the day a I've about 100ml left to get through of that strength.

I'll probably stick with 3mg for another year or so, or again if my body tells me otherwise. I don't have any intention of giving up just yet as I'm still enjoying it. Still MTL after all these years as I never got on with sub-ohming, plus it's cheaper too as you don't go through so much juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I'm currently at 3mg from a high of 24mg. Have about 2 weeks worth of 3mg juice left and will have some 0mg ready to go once that runs out.

Did you not vape zero mg for a while? You went from vaping 3mg to not vaping at all?

By vaping Zero mg for a few weeks, I'm hoping to get over my nic withdrawl while not having to deal with the psychological withdrawl from the hand/mouth/inhale actions at the same time. Only when through the nic withdrawl will I cut out vaping altogether.

I'm not trying to deter anybody but how my body reacted was fairly grim for 3 days, had to take a few puffs to take the edge off, even on 3mg. 0mg may be the way to go.

Advertisement