Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to meet someone offline

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm 28 and I've met all of my partners the past 3 years through Tinder or online dating. It's a great way to meet people you wouldn't otherwise meet, in my case most of my friends have moved abroad, and I don't get out that often.

Contrary to the above, slipping a pair of suave shoes and an expensive shirt is about the worst advice I've ever heard- if that's the market you're into, off with you, but most of us regardless of gender actually appreciate the person rather than what they're wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Yup.

Doesn't matter if you have the personality of a wet newspaper, if you have a decent pair of Bruno Magli the world is your oyster.

WTF are Bruno Magli? I'm guessing they're shoes. I think I have 3 pairs of (non-Bruno Magli) shoes. And still my Imelda Marcos of a wife asks me my opinion on which of her many pairs best fit X outfit: I don;t think I'm best qualified to answer that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I know this is a cliche and everyone hates it, but it's true for me anyway. I never understood why so many single people are actively looking to be in a relationship all the time. I enjoyed being single and was never "looking" for a relationship. Never in my life gone on a dating website or out on the pull. Relationships have always just happened! Met my current boyfriend in college and any other ones have been through friends...

:rolleyes: Yeah like no offence, you met him when you were 24.

17-25 are the most amazing years for dating, having fun, not caring what happens either way. I even find it becoming noticeably more draining and less fun in the last 2/3 years, and I'm only 28! I can imagine what it's like when you're 38. Not that there is anything wrong at all with someone being single, but of course the loneliness increases when all your friends are coupled up and moving in to the next stage of their lives.

My best friend who's my age had a temporary split with her long term bf over the summer. Think before it happened she would have been like yourself, then when it did she fell apart and very quickly realised, it's cold out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you tried Tinder in airplane mode

opportunities with hot air stewardesses unless you're flying Aer Fungus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

bruno1x wrote: »
    Following the link to your web site, clocked on the About page and there you are in a photo.
    You don't look "fun", too dour, doubt many many men would approach as you look like hard work.

Wow, you got all that from one photo.

Just to point out, the thread is about ways to meet members of the opposite sex, since I've been abroad for a long time, not "How can I be more attractive?"

Thanks for absolutely smashing my confidence though, that's helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Following the link to your web site, clocked on the About page and there you are in a photo.
    You don't look "fun", too dour, doubt many many men would approach as you look like hard work.
    Smile,be cheerful when you are in pubs, a simple thing but it will work wonders. You will be beating the men off with a stick.

Not cool. Htf can someone look unfun from a photo. Mean.

Just to point out, the thread is about ways to meet members of the opposite sex, since I've been abroad for a long time, not "How can I be more attractive?"

Don't worry missus, he's not the type of lad you're after anyway ;)

I, on the other hand had a look at your instagram profile because I'm one of those creepy weirdos, and I think you look like right craic! I'm very jealous of your travels :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Smile,be cheerful when you are in pubs, a simple thing but it will work wonders. You will be beating the men off with a stick.
    Mod: Let's reign it in there with the personal comments and the thread isn't about her appearance so let's drop it.

As a matter of curiosity how many girls are you currently in a relationship with?

Still the two. No intention of going higher.
    kyeev wrote: »
    1. Sitting down on a night out. Argh. Bloke is not going to come over and plonk himself down beside you, disrupting conversations. You have to stand for the whole night.

Funny you should say that. For whatever reasons some of my single friends had the idea I was good with women so started asking ME for pick up advice. So I made some up on the spot - and they implemented it and it worked.

And all I told them to do is look for girls who are sitting together - look like they know each other well - but have run out of things to talk about so are kinda awkwardly gazing around the place.

Approach THEM - and they will be glad, almost relieved, for the interlude into their awkwardness.

Simply made it up on the spot as I said - but the number of the lads coming back saying it worked wonders is amazing. Goes to show with all these "The Game" and PUA crap around the place - anyone can make up any old crap and it is likely to work if people make the effort to implement it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭bruno1x

Shelga wrote: »
    Not cool. Htf can someone look unfun from a photo. Mean.

Is unfun a word?
    Men will not approach a girl if see does not look "happy", thats the facts of the matter, why would a man waste time on someone who looks in a bad mood when the other girl is joking and laughing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Is unfun a word?
    Men will not approach a girl if see does not look "happy", thats the facts of the matter, why would a man waste time on someone who looks in a bad mood when the other girl is joking and laughing?

Maybe to cheer her up? Some men won't approach a happy looking woman because they think she's happy, content, etc in her friends company.

I know what you are saying about sour looking women. Fair enough if you know them well and they always look sour and I do know such women. Some women on the other hand look sour occasionally when they are bored. I'd still give them a chance. If you chat to them and they are still sour and not giving you much back in the way of conversation, fine, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

bruno1x won't be posting in the thread anymore, folks. Thanks, Tombi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think she looks super cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

syklops wrote: »

And a cursory glance at her blog would suggest that she's anything but dour.

That was a bizarre comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

100% and has a brain in her head going by the blog

Yep. Eloquent and well spoken which is just as attacive IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Yep. Eloquent and well spoken which is just as attacive IMO.

There you go Tequila, you must be brimming with confidence now. Get out there and knock 'em dead!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I much prefer approaching a girl on a night out. As long as I'm not drunk, I normally stand a chance. Salsa dancing is a really good and fun way to meet a bird also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I know this is a cliche and everyone hates it, but it's true for me anyway.

Funny how life work, what a cliche :D

Advertisement