Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owing bank debt in foreign country

• 12-01-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello I hope I posted this in a right forum.

My story is I opened a student account in the czech republic last feburary and said I'll be only using it for a few months as a student. They have a copy of my passport and my former address. I never had more than 20ish quid in it at a go. Anyway I stopped using the card back in May last year.

After moving back to Ireland I haven't heard anything until this morning. I thought I had a debt account as I never took out more than what I owned, I was emailed saying I owe them around 15 euro.

I was wondering what rights to do they have to claim back the money? Should I contact them I don't live there anymore or just leave it alone as they won't be looking for it. Has any else had issues with debt in a foreign country when they never took a loan out in the first place?

Comments

I have to pay annual fee on my card. Maybe this is a type of stamps duty for every card holder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I have to pay annual fee on my card. Maybe this is a type of stamps duty for every card holder?

maybe. But I am wondering what happens if I just leave it. Will they close the account or come looking for me?

While I don't think the StB will come to your door, I would notify them to close the account that you do not live there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If it's owed, then pay it. It's only 15 quid now, but it could grow and grow as it gets passed on from debt collector to debt collector and at some point it could be "worth it" to come after you. It might just get written off by the bank, but you can't know that and for such a small amount of money (if owed and I assume these are account fees rather than you going into overdraft) you should just pay it, making clear that the account is to be closed with immediate effect.

Thanks for the advice.

Had a friend translate the email, she said I had a Distraint with them. I told her I signed up for a student account and wouldn't pay anything. Just emailed the bank there saying I have no debts with them and to close the account as I don't live in the country. I'll keep this updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Give me a shout if you need a help with any further translation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

moloner4 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

Had a friend translate the email, she said I had a Distraint with them. I told her I signed up for a student account and wouldn't pay anything. Just emailed the bank there saying I have no debts with them and to close the account as I don't live in the country. I'll keep this updated.

Distraint is the process by which they seize your goods to satisfy a debt owed. Sounds like it may have moved on a little past a charge on an account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Send them a packet of Benson and a few choc ices, that should satisfy their distraint.

After a couple of emails from them saying something along the lines of "further action may be taken to reclaim the distrait " and myself giving the good old a "gwan on, do it", they said my account will be terminated and my cards cancelled with them as a consequence.

So good result all around :)

Advertisement