Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre upgrade timeframe

Options
  • 12-01-2016 11:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Was just looking at https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ to see if or when we have any hope of fibre broadband coming to my part of rural Wexford.

When I key in my home phone number, it tells me 'good news! - Fibre expected in January to March 16'.

However, when I zoom in on the map, the symbols in my area indicate 'Fibre expected within one year', and there are only two 'cabinets' marked in the area around my village, which is approx 3km from my house. 

Do I really have any hope of seeing quicker speeds any time soon? i.e. which of the two conflicting indications is likely to be more accurate?

At the moment, am getting downloads of approx 2 to 2.5 Mbps.  Was away in a hotel in another part of the country at the weekend and saw speeds of almost 40 Mbps when I ran the same speed test on my phone. Was mightily impressed and just wondering if I've any hope of ever getting the same at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi there

Was just looking at https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ to see if or when we have any hope of fibre broadband coming to my part of rural Wexford.

When I key in my home phone number, it tells me 'good news! - Fibre expected in January to March 16'.

However, when I zoom in on the map, the symbols in my area indicate 'Fibre expected within one year', and there are only two 'cabinets' marked in the area around my village, which is approx 3km from my house. 

Do I really have any hope of seeing quicker speeds any time soon? i.e. which of the two conflicting indications is likely to be more accurate?

At the moment, am getting downloads of approx 2 to 2.5 Mbps.  Was away in a hotel in another part of the country at the weekend and saw speeds of almost 40 Mbps when I ran the same speed test on my phone. Was mightily impressed and just wondering if I've any hope of ever getting the same at home.
    Hi Duffryman

I'm sorry for any confusion created by the map and the line checker. I can confirm that until eFibre actually launches in an area the line check and map will only offer an indication when efibre launches in the area rather than specific line.

Ultimately and quite unfortunately being at a 3Km from a cabinet will mean that eFibre will not be available to you as the max range a cabinet can serve is up to 2Km - you can measure distance on this map here: http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

I'm sorry for the bad news Duffryman

Al

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. However, the plot thickens.

I've had a look at that map and have established that the relevant cabinet here is FES1_E01 (in Ferns, Co Wexford). It says 'fibre build commenced - completion work is in progress' and the blue lines from it just about stretch as far as my house. Maybe I was overestimating the distance when I said 3km (or are distances measured 'as the crow flies', rather than by road?)

I suppose that ultimately it's a case of 'wait and see' and I see that the guide speed is just 7 Mb/s for distances of 2,000 metres but can I take it there's at least some hope remaining of an improvement on what we currently have?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. However, the plot thickens.

I've had a look at that map and have established that the relevant cabinet here is FES1_E01 (in Ferns, Co Wexford). It says 'fibre build commenced - completion work is in progress' and the blue lines from it just about stretch as far as my house. Maybe I was overestimating the distance when I said 3km (or are distances measured 'as the crow flies', rather than by road?)

I suppose that ultimately it's a case of 'wait and see' and I see that the guide speed is just 7 Mb/s for distances of 2,000 metres but can I take it there's at least some hope remaining of an improvement on what we currently have?

Thanks again
    No problem at all Duffryman

The distance is not measured by road or as the crow flies - it's all down to the cable path which in some cases goes off road and can take a variety of routes.

It really is indeed a case of wait and see unfortunately - once the cabinets do go live please feel free to get back to me here :)

Al

Advertisement