Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car while living in the city centre

Options
  • 12-01-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I'm living on North Main Street (apartment built in 97), and I need to commute every morning. The buses going in my direction are just too unreliable in the mornings, so personal transport would be much more desirable.

However, I'm aware you may have to jump through hoops to get resident parking. Seeing as I currently don't own a car is it:

1) Even possible

and

2) Worth the hassle?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

It's about 6km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Good advice, which I may look into in the near term, but it will also be good to have my own so that I can make more regular trips to visit my family back in Mayo, which is a nightmare via public transport. It relegates such visits to about 2 or 3 times a year, usually bank holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Yes, it is possible, if a bit bureaucratic. The council website give you all the details of what you need. You need paperwork proving you live there, ownership of the car, insurance, etc. Then you pay 10 or 20 euro (I forget how much) and they give you your permit. Just check the instructions and follow them to the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Diziet wrote: »
    Yes, it is possible, if a bit bureaucratic. The council website give you all the details of what you need. You need paperwork proving you live there, ownership of the car, insurance, etc. Then you pay 10 or 20 euro (I forget how much) and they give you your permit. Just check the instructions and follow them to the letter.

so you have to own the car and have proof of ownership and all but cant park it until you have these?? where you ment to park car if you need to own one first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

You could rent a space somewhere, even if it's just short term. My old landlord on Blarney St used to rent out spaces in his carpark, and I know someone else who does it on Patrick's hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If you really wanted to go down the route of saving money and avoiding dealing with the council, I'd get a good bicycle and some cycling gear and just cycle the 6kms, you'd spend less time in traffic and save a fortune.

Unless of course you're cycling up fairly steep hills which would be a pain in the arse. :o

I had a mate who used to have an apartment by the North gate cinema and used to work in Blackrock, about a 4-5km commute and he cycled it everyday for the best part of 3 years

You could rent a space somewhere, even if it's just short term. My old landlord on Blarney St used to rent out spaces in his carpark, and I know someone else who does it on Patrick's hill.

OK, that's not so bad then, so long as I can track down someone who provides that.

As for cycling, that could be an option in the coming months, but I'm not sure if the shower facilities here are up to snuff (may be a lack of hot water some days, don't look like they're cleaned all that often). Thankfully the hills and slopes to and fro are gentle enough, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

As for cycling, that could be an option in the coming months, but I'm not sure if the shower facilities here are up to snuff (may be a lack of hot water some days, don't look like they're cleaned all that often). Thankfully the hills and slopes to and fro are gentle enough, though.

A 6 km cycle is pretty short - you don't really need a shower after it unless you are cycling like a mad thing. I commuted by bike for years, and so did several colleagues, and none of us arrived in a state that needed a shower afterwards. It you were doing 15-20 km then yes, but 6 km is nothing. It would probably be quicker than driving in the city, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live on the North Mall and got a parking permit over the summer. Everything you need is on the form here:
    http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/roadsforms/RP%20Application%20-%20August%202014.pdf

The information on the website is outdated. You no longer need a copy of your licence. Nor do you need to be registered to vote in the area or get anything signed by a peace commissioner. I got confirmation of this from the traffic division by email. But yes, you would need the car first.

I sent the application by post and paid by postal order. Got my permit within 2 weeks. However they gave me a permit for the wrong zone, so they needed to send me out a new one. So not too much hassle apart from them sending the wrong one out! I had just bought the car so the address on the insurance etc wasn't a big deal for me.

Most annoying thing for me is trying to find parking really. It's all pot luck where I live. There are often vans parked that take up 2-3 spaces. There has been a big skip there now for a while. And if you find a space you often must be brilliant at parallel parking. But that's what you get having a car in the city I guess. I often end up parking as far away as cathedral road. Don't know what it's like on North Main Street.

OK, that's not so bad then, so long as I can track down someone who provides that.

Pm me if you want his details, I assume he's still doing it. Could have a look on daft too for similar places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If you really wanted to go down the route of saving money and avoiding dealing with the council, I'd get a good bicycle and some cycling gear and just cycle the 6kms, you'd spend less time in traffic and save a fortune.

Unless of course you're cycling up fairly steep hills which would be a pain in the arse. :o

I had a mate who used to have an apartment by the North gate cinema and used to work in Blackrock, about a 4-5km commute and he cycled it everyday for the best part of 3 years
    I think the OP is an adult you could possibly be mistaken him for a minor with the push bike idea?

Why, do you not think any adults cycle to work or college?

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I think the OP is an adult you could possibly be mistaken him for a minor with the push bike idea?

Theres an adult I work with whos cycle from Ballincollig to Blackrock for work everyday.

Theres probably about a dozen people cycle to work, all are adults.

The fact the OP is only 6km from work, its nearly pointless to get a car to drive to work IMO due to traffic, insurance and tax costs.

If theyre fit and able it makes much more sense, especially in the city, to cycle to work.

Most places do a cycle to work scheme too so there could be a bit of money saved if they wanted to go down that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theres an adult I work with whos cycle from Ballincollig to Blackrock for work everyday.

Theres probably about a dozen people cycle to work, all are adults.

The fact the OP is only 6km from work, its nearly pointless to get a car to drive to work IMO due to traffic, insurance and tax costs.

If theyre fit and able it makes much more sense, especially in the city, to cycle to work.

Most places do a cycle to work scheme too so there could be a bit of money saved if they wanted to go down that route.

My mistake as an adult i thought it would be a bit embarrassing getting a puncture or his/her chain came off.And i believe helmets are mandatory now on push bikes? Added to this the appalling whether we experienced lately in this country. Don't tell me any people recommending a push bike would give the OP a sneaky grin as your drove past him/her in the driving rain siting in your lovely warm car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My mistake as an adult i thought it would be a bit embarrassing getting a puncture or his/her chain came off.And i believe helmets are mandatory now on push bikes? Added to this the appalling whether we experienced lately in this country. Don't tell me any people recommending a push bike would give the OP a sneaky grin as your drove past him/her in the driving rain siting in your lovely warm car.

Not sure what planet you live on but cycling to work is probably the fastest growing commute option in recent years. Ever heard of the taxsaver Bike to Work scheme? I work in an IFSC company in Dublin and I would say about 20% of our workforce (about 300 cyclists) cycle to work daily. How is that embarrassing, humorous or naff? And yes,they all change into their normal corporate attire once they remove their cycling gear. (they range from senior vice presidents to entry level staff). There are changing rooms/showers to facilitate them should they need it also.

PS - Are you seriously telling me you are an adult that laughs at other adults who wear protective helmets and scoff at them for using a healthier and more environmentally option to commute to work? I'm not sure you'd be a safe driver on the roads in Dublin city centre during rush hour as you'd be bent over in stitches laughing at the "hilarious" sight of 10s of 1000s of cyclists commuting into work each morning in their hi-vis jackets and helmets. I'm pretty sure plenty of Cork commuters do too so unsure where you live that you consider this such an alien and amusing concept. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

As an adult, I'm able to fix a popped chain in less than 15 seconds, a puncture takes a bit longer, but thankfully I haven't gotten one in about 5 years. Bike helmets aren't mandatory, though I prefer to wear one myself. The weather has actually been pretty pleasant to cycle in this winter, I just wear rain gear, and I'd take that any day over the bitter cold or when there is snow on the roads.

But as an office worker, I really relish the exercise I get from it. I spend too much of my day sitting down as it is.

On topic though, OP are you living in an apartment block with off street parking? I know the block near the cinema has some, and if you are living there then you don't qualify for a on street parking permit.

Chain takes about 30secs, you get a bit dirty but its not the end of the world. As others have said in most big cities or places were spaces are at a premium cycling is probably the best option. Helmets are mandatory, youre sharing the road with trucks, cars, buses, pretty much everything else that could seriously hurt or kill you so a helmet is needed. Also on the weather, get a good set of rain gear and you're good to go.

Nobody is expecting anyone to cycle 50km to work but if its under double digits and youre fit enough, it should be considered, even if its only from about April-September you'll save on fuel costs alone.

I wouldnt grin it anyone walking/jogging/cycling/taking the bus to work, for their situations, maybe thats the best available option.

Advertisement