Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things others do that bother you - but you do the same

• 12-01-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Are there any things that irritate/annoy/anger/drive you mad when other people do them, but you actually do those very same things yourself at times?

I know at times I get annoyed with people for constantly being on their phone while we're watching a movie together... and then find out I do the same myself at times.

Double standards??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Pressing the button to cross at traffic lights after I've already done so.
    I get very insulted that they might think that I hadn't already pressed it, even though every time I arrive at the lights I assume the people waiting were too stupid to have pressed it themselves, and I press it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Exist.

I guess the only one I can think of is people who forget there might be a back story to every situation you walk in on. They - with a simple glance at you in a moment - find all they need to know about what you are doing and why.

Someone acting a particular way might have a very good reason you are simply oblivious to. Someone driving a bit too slow might be genuinely lost or running out of petrol or some other technical issue - someone coming out of a disabled toilets who looks fine might have a disability you simply can not see - someone who's child is screaming blue murder in the super market might have a genuine reason - ok I am crap at examples today - but the point is that we often see people acting in a way that bothers us - and we get irate without knowing the full picture - and the genuine reasons they have for doing so.

A fun one recently was this old woman came screaming up to me that I did not have a coat or hat on my child on a particularly cold (but dry) day while walking into a shop. All she saw was a child with no coat or hat and she filled in the blanks herself. In fact the house we just left was very warm - the car we just left was equally warm - as was the shop we were going into. There was literally 20 metres between the car and the shop.

But she did not know - or even stop to imagine - any of that. She just saw a coatless child on a cold day and instantly assumed parental neglect. Oblivious to the fact the child required no coat as their exposure to any cold was measurable in mere seconds.

And yes I catch myself doing it on occasion. Some irritation or judgement of another person that I later realise may have had genuine explanations that I was merely ignorant of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Squeeze my wife's breasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Talking over people in conversations; I do it all the time but want to slap people who do it to me (I guess that just makes me a self-absorbed prick)

The button pressing thing at the lights that was mentioned above.

Racism - I've never said or done anything racist but I do think some racist things and then I get very annoyed at people shouting racist stuff at others. I guess the difference is that I manage to prevent the racism traveling from brain to mouth but I still feel hypocritical for getting annoyed at someone who's shouting something I was just thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Squeeze osarusan's wife's breasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I get very insulted that they might think that I hadn't already pressed it, even though every time I arrive at the lights I assume the people waiting were too stupid to have pressed it themselves, and I press it.

They don't work anyway. Both of you are stupid :). I don't actually mean that last bit of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Flicking between channels during add breaks. I want to murder anyone who does it but once I have the remotes I refuse to watch an add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

They don't work anyway. Both of you are stupid :)

Not true for all crossings. For very busy ones, yeah it's just on a timer and the button just lights up something to make it seem like you've pressed something.

For less busy crossings though the buttons often do start a timer and they won't turn if you didn't press it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

They don't work anyway. Both of you are stupid :). I don't actually mean that last bit of course!
    JustShon wrote: »
    Not true for all crossings. For very busy ones, yeah it's just on a timer and the button just lights up something to make it seem like you've pressed something.

For less busy crossings though the buttons often do start a timer and they won't turn if you didn't press it.

They're called "Placebo Buttons".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

JustShon wrote: »

And when I see someone press one that I know to be a placebo, I smugly smirk at them, even though most people wouldn't be aware which ones work and which don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I get annoyed when people keep pressing the button (thinking it makes the lights change quicker) Yet I do the same myself....The same rule applies to the computer Return key !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

chillin117 wrote: »
    I get annoyed when people keep pressing the button (thinking it makes the lights change quicker) Yet I do the same myself....The same rule applies to the computer Return key !

Or the Esc key, over and over when something crashes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Or the Esc key, over and over when something crashes
    I just power down by pulling the plug from the wall (Never known to fail) Please leave a copy in church for 9 days etc etc !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

People who take the last free double-seat on public transport right ahead of me.

And actually all the people who sit single-file in those double seats, thus preventing me from getting a seat to myself.

People who talk on their phones in public places. Pricks.

When something cool/odd/strange is happening in a public area and people whip out their phones to take a pic/video.

People who pass me out as I'm walking along a street.

Pedestrians who rush out in front of my car and across the road when the pedestrian light is red.

People who bump into me because they're too busy looking at their phones to see where they're going. People bumping into me for any reason. London is the People Bumping Into You capital of the world.

Do I do all of these myself? Yup.
    Will I hate you when you do them? Abso-fcuking-lutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Park in the parent and child spaces without the kids in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Park in the parent and child spaces without the kids in the car.

I might get slated for this.. but... sure they're NICE to use if you're a parent, but I've no qualms in parking in those spaces, having children isn't a disability!*

*fully appreciate there are parents with disabled children etc and totally support having disabled spaces at entrances etc, and I would never park in these

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Crunch things like crisps loudly when eating.... I rationally know there is no way to eat them quietly but I can't listen to other people eat loudly...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Questioning my answers.

Case in point:

Them: "Are you sitting on the remote?"
    Me: No!
    Them: "Stand up and check"

Eating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Cars pulling out from junctions forcing you to hit the brake, I hate it but I've been guilty of it a few times :o

Also when someone posts the exact same thing I've posted on here slightly earlier, done that one too.

Taking a table at the food court while someone else collects the food. Perfectly reasonable when it's you, utterly indefensible when it's someone else.

I don't do this anymore btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tom_Barry

Someone tapping their foot, Look its perfectly fine for me to do it.. but if someone else starts all hell breaks loose !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

If I have not had a drink, I hate talking to drunk people. They are too loud, repetitive and talk shyte. Not me though, when I'm drunk, I'm fine around sober people, not annoying at all :p

If we are both drunk, its also grand because it cancels out. We both make perfect sense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Eating.

Coz of the horrible noises people make? I'm the same... can't stand to hear others masticating.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/67614/hate-sound-people-chewing-you-might-have-misophonia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Anyone who is being directly a flirt in front of a group of people. Makes me cringe and resent that person even though I'm ten times worse myself. I'd flirt with the sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

People picking their nose....disgusting. Me doing deep nasal excavation....perfectly fine

Coz of the horrible noises people make? I'm the same... can't stand to hear others masticating.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/67614/hate-sound-people-chewing-you-might-have-misophonia

Yep. I can mostly avoid getting annoyed if people have their mouths closed but I don't hang around with one of the lads anymore cause of it.. No one wants to start their morning having a coffee with some slurping down a bowl of yogurt and fruit while crunching the ice with their mouth wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭22catch

Talk to me when I'm watching my favourite tv programme. Stand behind me in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

22catch wrote: »
    Stand behind me in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

I'm the worst for this, feck off and leave me alone in the kitchen! No thanks, I don't want you to help or chop vegetables or stir anything, I'll call you when dinner is ready!

Flip it around...

Oooh what's for dinner, can I taste it now, will I fry the onions up for you? Get out? What do you mean go away, jeeezus some people are so touchy... fine, I'll give you your space! Yeesh!

Haha :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Every thing other people do that annoys me I do myself worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Cyclists breaking red lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Sing along (loudly) to songs when they don't know the words.

e.g.

There's a STAR MAN waiting in the sky
    la la la la la la la la
    He's got something in his eye
    A STAR MAN waiting in the sky
    mumble mumble mumble mumble
    mumble BLOW OUR MINDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I might get slated for this.. but... sure they're NICE to use if you're a parent, but I've no qualms in parking in those spaces, having children isn't a disability!*

*fully appreciate there are parents with disabled children etc and totally support having disabled spaces at entrances etc, and I would never park in these
    I disagree with you there. It is difficult to manover buggy and shopping and the shops have provided spaces to facilitate them. It is not your business whether it has merit. Those spaces are reserved for someone who is not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Using a preposition to end a sentence with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Not taking clothes out of the washing machine :mad::o

• Registered Users Posts: 27 P1nkSheep

breaking wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Pick at toenails

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Using the wrong lanes at roundabouts. A pet peeve of mine, especially when it's so common.

Hypocritically, there's one roundabout I will always use incorrectly to avoid being caught on the inside lan when going for the 3rd exit, thanks to the incorrect use by others. Yep, I'm contributing to the problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

My sister leaving her light on in her room and going downstairs for a couple of hours, wasting electricity.

I do it sometimes in fairness but I don't go downstairs for as long without copping on that I left a light on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Probably getting on an overcrowded train. I get on rather than wait 10 minutes for a quieter train because I want to get home, and then mentally seethe as people get on the next few stops

"there's a train along in 10 minutes, what's the rush. This ones too crowded you pricks", thinks I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Me when I'm overtaking someone driving slow: "Jesus fcuking Christ FINALLY the speed limit on this road is 100 wake the fcuk up you are a hazard why hasn't your license been revoked I haven't got time for your sh1t"

Me when I'm takin it handy and someone overtakes me: "whoa whoa whoa there my friend we are all merely travellers on the road of life please take a deep breath this is not a race and you are not on fire it does not matter how slow you go as long as you do not stop"

Advertisement