Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC Build

Options
  • 12-01-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi Guys, first time posting so go easy on me. Looking to build my first PC as follows:

1. What is your budget? Budget is very flexible but would aim for maybe €1000. However if needed/massive benefit can just save for a bit longer and raise this (go nuts :P )

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? I'm hoping to be able to build a bit of an all rounder. I will want to game on it (MMOs, shooters anything really but don't need ultra high settings - would take them if I can but not a deal breaker). Also hoping to learn some coding etc. and also photoshop etc if required.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Have 2 Viewsonic 32" monitors that I will be using for dual screens.

5. Do you need a monitor? No - see above

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 I think on both and probably not for a while

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and mouse I will upgrade eventually but have old ones lying around. other than that I will need all required peripherals except speakers (for the minute)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe down the line with a little more research etc.

8. How can you pay? Debit Card, cash or paypal

9. When are you purchasing? No set deadline, hopefully in the next 3-4 months!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Gonna give it a go myself I think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

XFX Radeon R9 390 Double Dissipation Edition 8192MB - €324.73
    Intel Core i5 6400 2.70GHz TRAY - €184.22
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler - €30
    MSI Z170-A PRO Socket 1151 DDR4 ATX - €110.85
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400 CL15 8GB Dual Kit - €45.65
    SanDisk Plus 120GB SSD - €41.87
    Seagate Desktop ST1000DM003 1TB HDD - €46.46
    Be Quiet! System Power 7 Bulk 80+ Silver 600W - €68.79

Total = €852.57 (Delivery is additional €30)

MindFactory will charge you another €30 delivery for a case so get it separate from somewhere like Amazon. Anything over £25 there is free delivery anyway. There's about ~€115 left over from the €1,000, so you can spend it all on a nice case that you like the look of if you want.

Apparently you can overclock the i5 6400 with a Z170 board so I included the Hyper 212 Cooler which is recommended on here. The R9 390 will tear through any game you throw at it. Even the R9 380x which is around €100 cheaper can play the most recent games at Ultra/Very High settings. I've ordered a similar build which is arriving tomorrow but I went for the cheaper R9 380x.

You said you have an old mouse + keyboard you can use (which you will upgrade in the future) and you don't need speakers, so I'm not sure what other peripherals you're referring to. Only other peripheral which you might need is a WiFi card.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

That build is perfect. IMO, I'd pick the Sapphire model for the backplate and the quieter fans but overall, that's a solid build. You could buff that SSD upto 240GB with the Crucial BX200 model for about €13 more or so.
    Any case will do you fine, so long as it has about 11" or about 270mm so you can fit in your GPU. I personally recommend the NZXT H440 V2, or for a more budget case that still carries looks, the NZXT S340. Of course, both of these cases lack an ODD, so if discs are important to you, you might want to buy an external dvd player.

Advertisement