Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry candidates in GE 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Stinicker wrote: »
    Sad day for Kerry politics, we remain the Alabama of Ireland, although Alabama is likely to support Donald Trump a man of substance and belief. We got 3 Fianna Fail TD's (Healy-Rae = Fianna Fail) and Brendan Griffin a good hard decent worker and Ferris another man who sticks to what he believes in.

Ferris and Griffin are the only two TD's who deserved a seat. Deenihan should have resigned and a young fresh Fine Gael TD candidate ran.

Either way watch Irish bond yields skyrocket during the week and we will be back in a second bailout before Christmas.

Today was possibly the worst day for Kerry politics since the first shots were fired in the Civil War here.

Ah come on your reaction is way OTT and more than a tad melodramatic!

Donald Trump is a racist, bigot who is admired by the KKK [who still exist] so give me the Healy Rae's any day! Personally I did not vote for them but they have been elected by the people of Kerry and deserve their chance.

And I also disagree re Deenihan and find your comment ageist. I do though feel very sorry for him and indeed also for Spring.

In fact I didn't vote for any of those who got elected but that's democracy and it's alive and kicking in Kerry.To hell with what people think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Sad day for Kerry politics, we remain the Alabama of Ireland, although Alabama is likely to support Donald Trump a man of substance and belief. We got 3 Fianna Fail TD's (Healy-Rae = Fianna Fail) and Brendan Griffin a good hard decent worker and Ferris another man who sticks to what he believes in.

Ferris and Griffin are the only two TD's who deserved a seat. Deenihan should have resigned and a young fresh Fine Gael TD candidate ran.

Either way watch Irish bond yields skyrocket during the week and we will be back in a second bailout before Christmas.

Today was possibly the worst day for Kerry politics since the first shots were fired in the Civil War here.

Ah come on your reaction is way OTT and more than a tad melodramatic!

Donald Trump is a racist, bigot who is admired by the KKK [who still exist] so give me the Healy Rae's any day! Personally I did not vote for them but they have been elected by the people of Kerry and deserve their chance.

And I also disagree re Deenihan and find your comment ageist. I feel very sorry for him and indeed also for Spring.

In fact none of those who got elected would have been my choice but that's democracy and it's alive and kicking in Kerry.To hell with what people think!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kerryked wrote: »
    Jeez, waited 14 hours for the first count yesterday..stopped watching for about 2 hours today and they finished it!

Fair play to all elected, tough on Deenihan but that's the way it goes - he has given a lot to Kerry politics over the years but I'm sure hell be happy to live on his cosy pension stress free from now on, more power to him.

As I said earlier, I think Spring suffered from a poor performance on a national level by Labour, think the writing was on the wall for him from the outset though.

They can all take down the posters now and hope they're not back out putting them up in a few weeks/months time.

Also thanks to kerrydude for the constant updates - much appreciated.

All we can do now is sit back and wait for the new motorway, airport, university and regional hospital to open down in Kilgarvan ;);)

10440885_1252528488094167_820918532983194170_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f2e9f5de95c6e260dec12fde0de0df87&oe=574E8976

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

10440885_1252528488094167_820918532983194170_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f2e9f5de95c6e260dec12fde0de0df87&oe=574E8976

Does that mean there won't be any more flooding :)
    I can see an airport in Kilgarvan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

The H-R's were on RTE Sat. morning, I was told, and said that with all the talk of National problems, they are going to Dublin to fight the corner of the people who elected them and tonight, they are acknowledging those people.

That's all very fine, but what can Michael and Danny achieve for the people of Kerry as Independent TDs?

What did Michael achieve specifically for Kerry over the last few years through his membership of the Dail?

He is not in a position to influence government policy.

The late Jackie achieved a lot through his support of the FF government, and fair play to him. But an Independent can achieve very little. Jackie never made a speech in the Dail and, as far as i know, he only contributed to one Oireachtas committee.

Unless Independents become part of a Coalition, they may as well not be there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I don't know exactly what must be done, to get something done for your constituency but I do know that last time around, Kerry had 2 FG TD's who didn't do/bring much for Kerry despite them being the majority party in the Dail. We had Tom Fleming, who is on record for asking the most questions in the Dail during the last Govt. and yet he delivered nothing to/for the people who put him there*. If we got feck all from that situation, we must try another approach.

This time around, we have less TD's so I for one am glad there are two men who have publicly proclaimed that they will work on behalf on Kerry. The public proclamation makes it that bit harder for them to renege on their promise.

Again, I don't think the real politics is actually done in the Dail: the Dail bar; breakfasts etc; are probably where things are agreed upon and I don't buy that unless you're in a party, you can't get things done. Given the shaky numbers of TD's, there will be all manner of political intrigue and alliances formed over the next few weeks.

*Tom Fleming being in the Dail definitely benefited someone but not the people he was put there to represent.

Lets all vote only for candidates who are members of Fianna Fail or Fine Gael.
    That will gets lot of things done for Kerry.
    Sorry I forgot we have been doing that for years & nothing was ever done.
    When they got to the Dail they were told to sit down, stay quiet & toe the party line.
    They soon forgot the people who elected them.

People are tired of hearing about the national interest & the great recovery which is taking place. The only problem is the great recovery hasn't yet made it beyond the M50 :mad:
    I for one make no apologies for voting for someone who will get the pot hole at the end of the road fixed or stop flood water from coming into my house because at this stage I care about as much for the rest of the country as the rest of the country cared about us for the past 10 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I for one make no apologies for voting for someone who will get the pot hole at the end of the road fixed or stop flood water from coming into my house because at this stage I care about as much for the rest of the country as the rest of the country cared about us for the past 10 years..

I don't blame you for that. You're right.

But, getting a pothole fixed or getting something done about flooding are County Council issues. They have little or nothing to do with being a TD. If Michael H-R stands up in the Dail and says something needs to be done about flooding in Kerry, he'll be ignored.

Anyway, I suppose, in the long run, it's better to have him inside the Dáil than outside it.

Brendan Griffin may be "a good hard decent worker".

But afair his wife got a job as his secretary, and his cousin got another job as his assistant, and yet another cousin got his council seat.

Martin Ferris may stick to what he believes in. But when what he believes involves support for Garda killers, I'm not sure he "deserves" a seat. He deserves a seat because he got sufficient votes, the exact same basis as the Healy Raes got them.

Slasher wrote: »

But, getting a pothole fixed or getting something done about flooding are County Council issues. They have little or nothing to do with being a TD. If Michael H-R stands up in the Dail and says something needs to be done about flooding in Kerry, he'll be ignored.

Anyway, I suppose, in the long run, it's better to have him inside the Dáil than outside it.

They might be council matters but I'm blue in the face from trying to get the council to stop the road water from flooding into my driveway. Eventually I sorted the matter myself.
    If the H-R's are part of a group propping up a minority government then I'm sure they will be taken notice of pretty quickly. That's if we don't have another election in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Slasher wrote: »

But TDs have a duty to represent their constituents interests.

Even the Joe Higgins types - a Kerryman himself - who might be more ideologically driven still have constituency offices and will write letters on behalf of issues that affect the people who come to them.

I don't support the Healy Raes at all, but they are phenomenal at that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

But TDs have a duty to represent their constituents interests.

Isn't that their primary duty?

I wasn't old enough to remember the late Tony Gregory when he first got elected but I do wonder what was the difference between him and Jackie Healy Rae,

Both done deals with the government of the day to benefit their own areas

Did the National media call Gregory a "gombeen" and did they accuse him of been only interested in "parish pump" politics?

If our newly elected TD's can try and get something going down here again then that would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I wasn't old enough to remember the late Tony Gregory when he first got elected but I do wonder what was the difference between him and Jackie Healy Rae,

Both done deals with the government of the day to benefit their own areas

Did the National media call Gregory a "gombeen" and did they accuse him of been only interested in "parish pump" politics?

Excellent point really. I'm more than old enough to remember that time and much before it. Tony Gregory was regarded with as much suspicion in the beginning. He dressed differently, he spoke with a "common" Dublin accent that you would never have heard on RTE etc and he was definitely not one of the "establishment." For a time there was almost a sense that somehow he shouldn't even be allowed around Leinster House. Very soon though he was almost canonised by the media - a sort of Robin Hood of Sean McDermott St. taking on the Sheriff of Nottingham/Kildare St. (CJ Haughey). Journalists fell over themselves for interviews and lavished compliments on his head. In fairness he seemed a genuinely nice guy, a dedicated politician, and he did get huge concessions for his constituency - the same one as a certain backbencher called Bertie Ahern,,,
    When JHR and the gang of 4 Independents propped up the 1997 Govt were they doing anything really different? I don't think so and in fairness I think JHR seemed to have made a better deal than some of the others. Anyone nowadays remember Tom Gildea and Mildred Fox?? Harry Blaney has a bridge called after him at least, but I'm not sure what else he negotiated for Donegal NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

amdaley28 wrote: »
    The only problem is the great recovery hasn't yet made it beyond the M50 :mad

Limerick, Cork and Galway have definitely picked up in the last few months. Jobs, property prices, construction activity and traffic all increasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Limerick, Cork and Galway have definitely picked up in the last few months. Jobs, property prices, construction activity and traffic all increasing.
    The recovery is largely urban based, especially large urban centers. Very little of it has trickled to rural and small urban areas as yet.

It's funny looking at FG from when Kenny took over and comparing it to now.
    FG were after being wiped out in Dublin leaving them with 3 TDs( the joke at the time was they could hold their Dublin meetings in a phone box) so they concentrated their efforts this time in urban areas.

Their vote held up well in Dublin and the commuter counties but collapsed totally in rural Ireland due to a lack of investment and few signs of any recovery.

On Tony Gregory, he was lionised by the media for delivering for his constituents but there is no way that any rural TD will get any adjective other than 'gombeen' written about them if they deliver the exact same returns.

Joe Higgins.

Kerryman working for Dublin constituents good. Kerryman working for Kerry constituents bad.

Joe Higgins.

Kerryman working for Dublin constituents good. Kerryman working for Kerry constituents bad.

I know ya

Must be no parishes in Dublin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Joe Higgins.

I found this over in YLYL:rolleyes:
    24794170774_e3c1e4b176_c.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98923069&postcount=4340

I would compare the Healy Rae's to Paul Galvin when he was at the top of his game,the whole country used whinge about him, but if it came down to it they would be very happy to have him wearing their counties colours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

HEALY-RAE, Michael (Kerry South)
    1. Occupations Etc. ……...….. (1) Postmaster: An Post, Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry; (2)
    Politician: Dáil Éireann, Dublin; (3) Farmer: Kilgarvan,
    Co. Kerry; (4) Plant Hire: Roughty Plant Hire, Kilgarvan
    Co. Kerry; (5) Owner of Shop, Mace: Kilgarvan.
    2. Shares Etc. ……………….. None above the amounts stated.
    3. Directorships ………………Director of Roughty Plant Hire Ltd.: Roughty Plant Hire
    Ltd: plant hire.
    Other Information Provided: Works in general
    sometimes for the HSE and local authorities.
    4. Land (including property) …(1) Sandymount, Kilgarvan: private house; (2)
    Gortnaboul, 5 acres farmland: farming; (3) Gortnaboul, 5
    acres farmland: farming; (4) Gortnaboul, service station,
    yard & surrounds: shop & yards; (5) Gortnaboul,
    Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry: rear of store plus access to
    Limewoods estate; (6) Coologues, 100 farmland and
    forestry: farming and forestry; (7) 2 farmhouses: for
    letting purposes; (8) Top of Cross, Kilgarvan: house for
    letting purposes; (9) Pinewood Estate, Killarney: house
    for letting purposes; (10) The Courtyard, Killarney:
    apartment for letting purposes; (11) Bridgefield House:
    house for letting purposes; (12) Kilmurry, Kenmare:
    house for letting purposes; (13) Castlelough House:
    house for letting purposes; (14) Brockgrove Isl, Limerick:
    student accommodation; (15) Pound Road, Castleisland:
    house letting purposes; (16) Tralee Town: (please note
    building under purchase not completed yet so not in my
    ownership).
    5. Gifts ……………………… Nil
    6. Property supplied or lent … Nil
    or a Service supplied
    7. Travel Facilities ………….. Nil
    8. Remunerated Position ……. Nil
    9. Contracts …………………. (1) Supply of fuel: HSE and Kerry Co. Co: local
    Government; (2) Works by Roughty Plant Hire: HSE:
    health.

No shortage of a Recovery there

Say no more

Great man.
    He doesn't even have time to take a leak.
    He looked a right ****** the other day walking around the Dail chamber with his cap in his hand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Probably kicked him in his wallet so there was plenty of padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

siblers wrote: »

In fairness the headline on that article is an insult to Sarah Palin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

On Matt Cooper now making things a whole lot worse for himself.

Great caricature by a Kerry woman today going viral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I would compare the Healy Rae's to Paul Galvin when he was at the top of his game,the whole country used whinge about him, but if it came down to it they would be very happy to have him wearing their counties colours

I wouldn't want Paul galvin as the one tasked with job creation in Kerry, likewise the Healy-Raes.

Your attempt to push ahead with the 'us against them attitude' is worrying- huge difference between football and national politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Having a discussion with a mate here- can anyone point me in the direction of what initiatives Martin Ferris has been involved in?
    Job creation ones specifically

Advertisement