Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry candidates in GE 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I really don't have a problem with anybody employing their wife/husband/any other random family member. The absolute likelihood is that when they were in local politics those family members did all that work unpaid. Just my opinion though!

I agree Fleming hasn't done a massive amount.

Who would Killarney have voted for traditionally I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

cyning wrote: »
    I really don't have a problem with anybody employing their wife/husband/any other random family member. The absolute likelihood is that when they were in local politics those family members did all that work unpaid. Just my opinion though!

I agree Fleming hasn't done a massive amount.

Who would Killarney have voted for traditionally I wonder?

The Moynihan dynasty were traditionally the major Killarney vote-winners, but no town politician has since replaced them. Also, the Bull tended to focus on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The Moynihan dynasty were traditionally the major Killarney vote-winners, but no town politician has since replaced them. Also, the Bull tended to focus on the area.

Also back in John O'Leary's (FF) time he used to pull a serious chunk of his votes from Killarney iirc.

Last time out Killarney had Gleeson and Moloney running plus I'm sure Tom Sheehan picked up a decent enough chunk of votes in Killarney as he has reasonable enough Killarney connections. The three of them had a first preference vote of around 5,000 each in 2011, which will all be looking for a new home this time out.

I wouldn't be too gobsmacked if Griffin picked up a surprising amount of the Gleeson and Moloney votes as he seems very much on the left side of Fine Gael and isn't all that far from Killarney out that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Young FG: I didn't trust him from the beginning but the stunt with the Teacher's salary will probably get him re-elected: he's even taken to advertising what he did for her in one of the free local magazines...but conveniently forgot to mention that he gave his wife a 40k job that still sees their household bring in 8k more than if he kept his full wage (never mind the +20k expenses that don't have to be explained - but that goes for most of them)

I don't know if his help for Fybough school will have a huge impact on his vote. It's a small place and if every teacher, parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle etc associated with the school voted for him en masse (which they won't) it would hardly amount to more than a few hundred votes.
    I have little bother with TDs and Senators employing family members for secretarial and similar work. They've probably been doing it for years, are familiar with local issues etc and more importantly are seen to "have the ear" of the TD in a way that another employee would never have.

First canvassers made it up our road a few days ago - and they shouldn't have bothered.
    We weren't home but arrived back to find 3 leaflets from John Brassil scattered on the doorstep and the driveway.
    We have a letterbox on the gate which they passed and a letterbox on the door which they ignored. I scraped up and dumped the soggy leaflets and with them went any chance of a vote of any description for Mr Brassil in this house!

• Advertisement

lottpaul wrote: »
    First canvassers made it up our road a few days ago - and they shouldn't have bothered.
    We weren't home but arrived back to find 3 leaflets from John Brassil scattered on the doorstep and the driveway.
    We have a letterbox on the gate which they passed and a letterbox on the door which they ignored. I scraped up and dumped the soggy leaflets and with them went any chance of a vote of any description for Mr Brassil in this house!

So he was the only candidate who called to your house...but he left his leaflet in the wrong place so you won't vote for him now?

Is that the real reason? Seriously? It seems so very...slight.

So he was the only candidate who called to your house...but he left his leaflet in the wrong place so you won't vote for him now?

Is that the real reason? Seriously? It seems so very...slight.

You're probably right - and he'll be back in the mix in the next few weeks :) but I'd still like to know why they thought scattering paper outside anyones door was a good way to win votes.
    On an aside, it would seem the FF candidates are free to canvass anywhere? Norma Moriarty is a councillor for this area - but I'm not sure if she was mentioned on the literature at all,,,,,, it all got so soggy in the rain,,,, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It's amazing. Jimmy Deenihan has a huge amount of the town of Listowel plastered in posters already. Martin Ferris has the bridge on the Ballybunion road (beside Mckennas) completely postered. At 10am.

Wonder who was putting them up last night ;)

• Advertisement

It's amazing. Jimmy Deenihan has a huge amount of the town of Listowel plastered in posters already. Martin Ferris has the bridge on the Ballybunion road (beside Mckennas) completely postered. At 10am.

Wonder who was putting them up last night ;)

Election posters should be banned

I was reading at the weekend that a few towns and villages up the country are banning posters from been put up.

I hate them. They should all be fined for putting them up last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

RTE are putting up 1min clips from all candidates nationally (c500) on the Election 2016 section of their website.

Some candidates would not inspire you, lacking dynamism :
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754479-tom-fleming/:(

others are more impressive, and don't have to read from a page to state what they believe in :
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754474-norma-moriarty/:)

while there are also those who perhaps don't trust themselves in front of a camera :
    http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/candidates/754478-michael-healy-rae/:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Presume they won't be in the same hurry to go out and take them all back down at the end of February...not to mention the cable ties that they leave behind :mad:

Saw the first posters around here (Brendan Griffin) being put up on poles along the Dingle -Annascaul road at 10.45pm last night - a miserable drizzly night too. 2 or 3 guys in high-vis vests in a white van. I presume these guys are "professional" rather than eager volunteers?
    I'd rather there was a limit on numbers or locations or something. It's not too bad in the countryside but places like Tralee and Killarney are usually plastered with them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Saw the first posters around here (Brendan Griffin) being put up on poles along the Dingle -Annascaul road at 10.45pm last night - a miserable drizzly night too. 2 or 3 guys in high-vis vests in a white van. I presume these guys are "professional" rather than eager volunteers?
    I'd rather there was a limit on numbers or locations or something. It's not too bad in the countryside but places like Tralee and Killarney are usually plastered with them.

I was surprised at how few I've seen in Tralee! I live in the Oakpark area of town, and all I've seen are Grace O'Donnell (FG) and one of the independent guys. Grace is originally from Oakpark, so I guess it makes sense to get hers up there, but surprised at not seeing anymore yet...thankfully!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Am I correct in noting that only 2 of the candidates are female? We'll be accused of ignoring the gender quota soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Am I correct in noting that only 2 of the candidates are female? We'll be accused of ignoring the gender quota soon!

Well both the female candidates owe their selection in part at least to the gender quota.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Well both the female candidates owe their selection in part at least to the gender quota.

In its entirety I think. There would have been a South Kerry Fianna Fáil candidate but probably not Norma Moriarty. I don't think they would have added a third Fine Gael when their second seat may be in trouble as is.

The town of Listowel is ruined in posters. Pixie o Gorman must have some money behind his campaign too as he has just as many as the FF/FG/Labour candidates. Michael Healy Rae has one of his trucks pulled in where the speed van stops in the Six Crosses but no posters: does he normally do posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

... Michael Healy Rae has one of his trucks pulled in where the speed van stops in the Six Crosses ...
    Fair play! (and a clever tactic)

There was a Q/A session between the Public and nearly all the candidates in Castleisland tonight. The same issues were the candidates concern tonight as they were 5 (and 8?) years ago. The Renua guy, Spring and the FF guy were good speakers and made some good points but the woman from Caherslee was scattered: she failed to address the question put to her on maybe 2-3 occasions.

• Advertisement

Must be a nice money earner putting up posters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cms88

Has the Green party fella called to anyone yet? Read in the paper he was going to be doing part of his canvas on foot, bike etc

Have the Fine Gael canvassers been around? Haven't seen them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Theres a handy website here for anyone looking to see all the candidates together, can be hard to keep up with all of them..

Bit of craic here,

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/

Tom Fleming has pulled out of the election as he feels he hasn't done enough work on the ground to put in a realistic campaign. Presume he's referring mainly to north Kerry area. Very surprising news and will leave a lot of recalculating by all other candidates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Tom Fleming has pulled out of the election as he feels he hasn't done enough work on the ground to put in a realistic campaign. Presume he's referring mainly to north Kerry area. Very surprising news and will leave a lot of recalculating by all other candidates etc

Unless Spring somehow comes back from the political dead, looking like a very predictable 2 FG, 1 FF, 1 Independent, 1 SF now.

Would Michael Gleeson now have 2nd thoughts about running? It must be a temptation. Nomination papers are not due until next Thursday lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Would Michael Gleeson now have 2nd thoughts about running? It must be a temptation. Nomination papers are not due until next Thursday lunchtime.

Hopefully he will re-consider.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Hopefully he will re-consider.

Hopefully not, if Gleeson runs it will allow Norma Moriarty to get elected for Fianna Fail. Gleeson should endorse Arthur Spring I think.

Advertisement