Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry candidates in GE 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm very surprised by it. I don't think Michael Gleeson will run now though: it's too late really. No canvassing in north Kerry where he really isn't known well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Have the Fine Gael canvassers been around? Haven't seen them yet?

Grace O'Donnell was around about 2 weeks ago in Tralee. I wasn't home, I never seem to be for any of them! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Independent TD Tom Fleming has announced that he will not be contesting the upcoming General Election.
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tom-fleming-pulls-out-of-general-election-race/

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

I wonder who will those who intended to vote for tom Fleming vote for now, who will it benefit, as I feel Healy rae, Ferris and deenihan are safe its down to the last 2 seats, Brassil, Griffen and spring with spring to lose out,
    On another note that Kildare street website is interesting, Micheal Healy rae has some amount of houses owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Any dates set yet for debates between the candidates down here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Any dates set yet for debates between the candidates down here?

Radio Kerry interviewing candidates beginning Monday at 10am. Format seems to be 4 at a time.

Not sure who's up first or whether there will be a full debate with them all at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cms88

Them AAA lads are something else. Spoke to one today and he went off on their usual rant about how bankers ruined the country and how hard working people like me are paying for it. He wasn't long closing his month when i told him i worked in the bank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

cms88 wrote: »
    Them AAA lads are something else. Spoke to one today and he went off on their usual rant about how bankers ruined the country and how hard working people like me are paying for it. He wasn't long closing his month when i told him i worked in the bank

So I guess you are the cause of and solution to all our problems :D

Labour did a rapid fire canvass yesterday at my house,stuck a leaflet in the letter box and legged it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cms88

Stinicker wrote: »
    So I guess you are the cause of and solution to all our problems :D

Well Mr Murphy and his friends sure seem to think so

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hopefully not, if Gleeson runs it will allow Norma Moriarty to get elected for Fianna Fail. Gleeson should endorse Arthur Spring I think.

I thought Gleeson was left wing?

He may not want to endorse a former Anglo Irish banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I thought Gleeson was left wing?

He may not want to endorse a former Anglo Irish banker.

Yes, set up SKIA after failing to get Labour nomination. Examiner claiming today that Moloney is being proposed by Labour HQ as sweeper, given few candidates from East Kerry area.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Did anyone hear Olivia O'Leary's misty eyed monologue on Arthur Spring on rte radio drive time this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Did anyone hear Olivia O'Leary's misty eyed monologue on Arthur Spring on rte radio drive time this afternoon?

What was she on about? I forget he's there he's so quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

cyning wrote: »
    What was she on about? I forget he's there he's so quiet!

I see from his posters that he has an orange face. That surely is worth a vote or two.

Bit of craic here

http://www.smartvote.ie/

Radio Kerry's profiles of the candidates running for Election

http://www.radiokerry.ie/election-2016/#tf_tabs_2

Missing some of them,must be a work in progress

Not sure Mike will be thrilled about this. He was a shoo in for a seat, this might be seen as a bit greedy by the family, he will obviously lose some votes to Danny, really not sure the family name can carry 2 seats etc. etc. Though it does fill the Killarney vacuum...insofar as Danny is a Councillor for Killarney, even though not from there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Danny Healy Rae enters the race

This is one I didn't see coming but the expression about cats and pigeons comes to mind! :)
    There could be a few reasons:
    • their canvass in N Kerry is going so well that they really see the possibility of a 2nd seat (given they have a seat in S Kerry wrapped up)
    • they have come to a voting agreement with supporters of Tom Fleming, Dan Kiely and other ex-FFers
    • they are just putting the wind up FF, FG etc and enjoying the panic in the other parties
    • it's a great way to grab and dominate media attention - and it's all free!
    • and he can withdraw the papers within a few days anyway once the effect and possibilities become clear

lottpaul wrote: »
    This is one I didn't see coming but the expression about cats and pigeons comes to mind! :)
    There could be a few reasons:
    • their canvass in N Kerry is going so well that they really see the possibility of a 2nd seat (given they have a seat in S Kerry wrapped up)
    • they have come to a voting agreement with supporters of Tom Fleming, Dan Kiely and other ex-FFers
    • they are just putting the wind up FF, FG etc and enjoying the panic in the other parties
    • it's a great way to grab and dominate media attention - and it's all free!
    • and he can withdraw the papers within a few days anyway once the effect and possibilities become clear

I don't think the HR's do anything for the craic or to put the wind up others. It's usually with an end game in mind to increase their power base and generate more votes. And in fairness, they are correct to focus on that. The possibilities as I see it are

1. Danny's decided he wants a crack, Mike's not delighted but obviously they can't row in public.
    2. It's all for Mike, they want to mop up votes in Killarney
    3. They believe it can be done either this time, or next election, so will have "broken the ice". Take it with 2 above.
    4. They have other ideas in mind...like the next European Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't think the HR's do anything for the craic or to put the wind up others. It's usually with an end game in mind to increase their power base and generate more votes. And in fairness, they are correct to focus on that. The possibilities as I see it are

1. Danny's decided he wants a crack, Mike's not delighted but obviously they can't row in public.
    2. It's all for Mike, they want to mop up votes in Killarney
    3. They believe it can be done either this time, or next election, so will have "broken the ice". Take it with 2 above.
    4. They have other ideas in mind...like the next European Election.

The photo on the Breaking news item ..http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/michael-healy-raes-brother-danny-to-contest-general-election-720120.html

Graces7 wrote: »

Looks like a man that means business :)

It going to make the fight for the last couple of seats interesting probably Micheal Healy Rae,Martin Ferris and Jimmy Deenihan will take the first three,not sure what order though,

Then I think John Brassil will take the fourth seat and it then its down to Arthur Spring,Bernard Griffin and maybe Danny Healy Rae might give these lads a run for it when it comes to taking the last seat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DHR odds already slashed from 8/1 to 9/2.

DHR odds already slashed from 8/1 to 9/2.

If his brother tops the poll then it could be game on,you would think DHR will get most of the transfers off MHR

If his brother tops the poll then it could be game on,you would think DHR will get most of the transfers off MHR

Doubt that will matter. There will be no one elected with any big surplus to distribute in any count.

MHR got 6,600 votes last time in his own constituency, well short of the 11,000 quota. While the amalgamation will suit him more than the other candidates I don't know that's he'll get over the quota in the first count, less that it will be to any degree that might benefit Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Doubt that will matter. There will be no one elected with any big surplus to distribute in any count.

MHR got 6,600 votes last time in his own constituency, well short of the 11,000 quota. While the amalgamation will suit him more than the other candidates I don't know that's he'll get over the quota in the first count, less that it will be to any degree that might benefit Danny.

Also the quota will probably be of the order of 13,500 to 14,000 this time around (depending on turnout) due to the loss of a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I know a lad that will be trowing a good few fcks to danny
    Michael was a shoe in to top the pole and the lad trows 100 on him but danny might have thrown a spanner in the works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I know a lad that will be trowing a good few fcks to danny
    Michael was a shoe in to top the pole and the lad trows 100 on him but danny might have thrown a spanner in the works

Advertisement