Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry candidates in GE 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I agree Poor Old - the only jobs that they seem interested in creating is their own. Roads in Kerry are awful, Public Services are sub-standard and you have to pay for most of them, property taxes are not being applied to improve conditions at all levels, and they only seem to be interested in their constituents whenever there is an election. They all have slogans - however, their slogan for one and all of them appears to be " We don't care, because we don't have to". But people keep electing them. That's Democracy, and I think that it is the best system, but we are all poorly served by them.

And the only tactic/slogan is- tax the fat cats and try get more free stuff.
    The give a man a fish/teach a man to fish parable comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Suppose we'll be voting for the least worst candidates today..

Poor selection to choose from really. Think MHR would be good to get a job done for you, not sure about him on a national level. Think Deenihan is just there as a safe bet for FG - too old and only gets involved on the back of someone else's work.

Not sure about Brendan Griffin, one advantage is he's still young and (surely?) enthusiastic.

Brassil seems to be a good man for the county, like MHR. Have reservations about voting FF though. Likewise with Ferris and SF.

Is there anyone on the ballot that would inspire confidence among voters? Anyone who you would say "yeah she/he will definitely improve things locally AND be strong on a national level too"? Tbh I can't see anyone who could possibly be that person from this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

kerryked wrote: »

Poor selection to choose from really. Think MHR would be good to get a job done for you, not sure about him on a national level. Think Deenihan is just there as a safe bet for FG - too old and only gets involved on the back of someone else's work.

Not sure about Brendan Griffin, one advantage is he's still young and (surely?) enthusiastic.

Brassil seems to be a good man for the county, like MHR. Have reservations about voting FF though. Likewise with Ferris and SF.

Is there anyone on the ballot that would inspire confidence among voters? Anyone who you would say "yeah she/he will definitely improve things locally AND be strong on a national level too"? Tbh I can't see anyone who could possibly be that person from this list.

A huge part of the problem is that failure is rewarded. People keep electing the same faces even though we are faced with the same problems in this County year after year and more. There is no analysis from voters on the track record of candidates. Yet the same voters are quick to dismiss new candidates as they feel they have no realistic chance of getting elected. That is because people won't give them the chance:confused:. It seems a lot of people are happy with failure and then wonder why things are the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

As Einstein once said " Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".:P

What kind of job will MHR get done though? Fill a few potholes- if thats all you want from a politician then dont be upset when thats the maximum that you receive

• Advertisement

What kind of job will MHR get done though? Fill a few potholes- if thats all you want from a politician then dont be upset when thats the maximum that you receive

I'd take getting a pothole filled on a road I use every day over getting a new arts programme/movie set/sunshine factory from some TD's who only come out of the woodwork to put their face to a good news story.

I'd take getting a pothole filled on a road I use every day over getting a new arts programme/movie set/sunshine factory from some TD's who only come out of the woodwork to put their face to a good news story.

Yeah maybe but I would take someone who could offer concrete jobs over any of those promises.
    The least likely to do that are the 3 candidates that I have previously mentioned

Yeah maybe but I would take someone who could offer concrete jobs over any of those promises.
    The least likely to do that are the 3 candidates that I have previously mentioned

I agree with you 100% re jobs and sending the Healy-Raes and Ferris off looking for them :pac:

But who is the most likely to create jobs in the county then?

I agree with you 100% re jobs and sending the Healy-Raes and Ferris off looking for them :pac:

Well I guess the issue is that, as I said previously, all the candidates are muck enough.
    It's a sad state of affairs but I'd take a punt on the 2 blueshirts just cos they are likely to be in power and that comes from a Labour supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Yeah- so in reality noone!
    A collection of fairly awful candidates but I'd be more tempted to roll the dice with a member of one of the established parties.

On job creation- if we vote in 2 Healy Raes and Ferris then you might aswell forget it! Imagine the CEO/investor relations manager of a large multinational company attempting to do business with those boys- its very unliely to happen

What is so awful about the Independent candidates,apart from the fact that they won't get elected? I mean Independents excepting the HRs.

No way will I roll the dice anymore with the established parties and I always did. For the first time ever I'm going all Independent. The established parties are crap in this country,riddled as they are with cronyism,corruption, a crazy whip system and the past few years have proved one thing and that is you cannot trust them to fairly and squarely represent the ordinary man in the street.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    What is so awful about the Independent candidates,apart from the fact that they won't get elected? I mean Independents excepting the HRs.

No way will I roll the dice anymore with the established parties and I always did. For the first time ever I'm going all Independent. The established parties are crap in this country,riddled as they are with cronyism,corruption, a crazy whip system and the past few years have proved one thing and that is you cannot trust them to fairly and squarely represent the ordinary man in the street.

Agree:). Everybody deserves a chance to prove themselves. If voters keep voting for civil war politics what hope does this give to any candidates for future elections who are good actually enough to make a difference?
    We have had ENOUGH of failed parties and their Yes men.

acequion wrote: »

I think you are just jotting out a lot of cliches there but I do roughly agree with what you're saying.
    However I would pose the question- who can you trust?

Also extending that point- the independents will have no say and no sway and Kerry needs job creation. Those guys and the Shinners are the least likely to generate any jobs in the county

Agree:). Everybody deserves a chance to prove themselves. If voters keep voting for civil war politics what hope does this give to any candidates for future elections who are good actually enough to make a difference?
    We have had ENOUGH of failed parties and their Yes men.

I'd vote for the devil himself if he could generate some employment in the county- there is nada in north kerry anyway.

You mention failed parties and thats fair enough but like what do you want from your politicians and how do you think an independent will get it for you.

People in Kerry always complain about jobs and the lack there of but you need to hopefully get in some business savy, respected people to do that- I know they are few and far between in terms of the candidates but jeez if we return 2 HRs and Ferris- then good night and good luck as you wont see a sausage of new employment in the county for the next term.

I'd vote for the devil himself if he could generate some employment in the county- there is nada in north kerry anyway.

You mention failed parties and thats fair enough but like what do you want from your politicians and how do you think an independent will get it for you.

People in Kerry always complain about jobs and the lack there of but you need to hopefully get in some business savy, respected people to do that- I know they are few and far between in terms of the candidates but jeez if we return 2 HRs and Ferris- then good night and good luck as you wont see a sausage of new employment in the county for the next term.

Which is exactly what we have got over the years from previous office holders in Kerry. We need to create a Merit approach. If you get elected and don't deliver don't expect to get re-elected. Let somebody else try - there are a lot more candidates than just FF, Labour, FG & SF. I'm not promoting one candidate over the other just asking why does abject failure seem to have no effect on people's determination of the right candidate? It is a sad reflection of the electorate when failure is rewarded.

I think you are just jotting out a lot of cliches there but I do roughly agree with what you're saying.
    However I would pose the question- who can you trust?

Also extending that point- the independents will have no say and no sway and Kerry needs job creation. Those guys and the Shinners are the least likely to generate any jobs in the county

They will have no say because people won't/are afraid to vote for change.

Which is exactly what we have got over the years from previous office holders in Kerry. We need to create a Merit approach. If you get elected and don't deliver don't expect to get re-elected. Let somebody else try - there are a lot more candidates than just FF, Labour, FG & SF. I'm not promoting one candidate over the other just asking why does abject failure seem to have no effect on people's determination of the right candidate? It is a sad reflection of the electorate when failure is rewarded.

I agree with you on the candidates being crap- it really is a case of picking the least crap.
    However its a very sad case of having to play the percentages.

They will have no say because people won't/are afraid to vote for change.

Voting for an independent is just the protest vote in most cases- let me know of how many jobs have been created by independents around the country?
    Even 2/3 big projects that were enticed into an area by any independent?

They will run on no water charges, no property tax, tax the fat cats- all that baloney and none of it is realistic to be honest

Voting for an independent is just the protest vote in most cases- let me know of how many jobs have been created by independents around the country?

They will run on no water charges, no property tax, tax the fat cats- all that baloney and none of it is realistic to be honest

Yes, a protest against failure is surely better than a vote in favour of it.

It is not helpful to brandish all Independants as you have here. If that is the attitude then we are stuck with the established parties for good as anyone with new ideas in future elections is labeled before they even start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Why is that baloney? That,in my opinion,is the corrupt system of Ireland and will NEVER change if the voter doesn't make it change. That is what general elections are there for.

I used to feel like you do re the Independents until I became heartily sick of same old, same old from the established parties.If enough people vote for Independents they form alliances such as AAA and PBP and eventually over time change will happen. Always doing the same and expecting something different is actually the definition of madness. We get the politicians we deserve and if we return the same useless incumbents then we may as well put up and shut up! So, be careful what you wish for.

Re what you say in an earlier post about my cliches, sometimes cliches are true. The established parties have a whip system and all the established parties have been found guilty of both cronyism and corruption. And throw in nepotism while we're at it, it's all fact.And by the way I completely agree with you re the need to create jobs. I just don't trust FG,FF.Lab,the HRs or the Shinners to do that. And yes realistically one or more of those will form the next Government,but it is quite possible that Independents will be needed as well. So let's give them a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Entrepreneurs and SME's. If a TD brings a factory to an area, you can be damned sure a price has been paid or will have to be paid. Over the last 4 years the collective intelligence of the Dail and their overpaid consultants/advisors has come up with the genius scheme of reducing the social welfare for under 25's (to encourage emigration?) and put as many of the remaining people on the dole doing work that the Council/State is responsible for - but suddenly refuses to do - for the princely and humiliating sum of 20 euro.
    I agree with you on the candidates being crap- it really is a case of picking the least crap.
    However its a very sad case of having to play the percentages.
    I disagree. I heard the Renua guy and he came off quite well, as did Brassil and Spring. While Spring might be an intelligent man with good ideas, I will never vote Labour: even if he went Ind. I wouldn't vote for one raised in Lab. stables.
    I think there are some okay candidates in the mix but I never underestimate the stupidity of people.

• Advertisement

Posters needs to be down by next Friday evening..wonder will some candidates leave them up this week and wait to see if there's a hung parliament?

What even is the protocol re calling another election? (I know the boxes haven't even been opened, just anticipating on the back of the exit polls tonight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I don't know the protocol for a hung parliament Belgium went nearly a year without a Govt. recently and the civil servants kept the Country running. #weshouldbesolucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Posters needs to be down by next Friday evening..wonder will some candidates leave them up this week and wait to see if there's a hung parliament?

What even is the protocol re calling another election? (I know the boxes haven't even been opened, just anticipating on the back of the exit polls tonight)

This is where the post of the President comes into action.
    The Dáil meets on March 10th and the new Ceann Comhairle will ask for nominations for Taoiseach. Unless there's an agreement Enda Kenny will be defeated and he then becomes a "Taoiseach who has lost the support of the Dáil". If no one else is elected as Taoiseach Kenny remains as a caretaker but Michael D Higgins is not obliged to accept any instructions from him regarding a new election.
    He would probably wait until all negotiations are completed and then consult party leaders - then "at his sole discretion" he can decide to dissolve the Dáil and call a new election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Chances are that won't happen. I foresee a Fianna Fail led government with support from like minded independents...and possibly Labour if their vote is drastically cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Chances are that won't happen. I foresee a Fianna Fail led government with support from like minded independents...and possibly Labour if their vote is drastically cut

Don't rule out Sinn Féin as part of that either - have just heard a SF spokesperson explain that when SF says it won't be a minority part of Govt it doesnt mean they have to be the largest party (?) it just means they have to be an "equal" part of Govt. Sounds confusing but I think they mean they are open to offers. The bargaining begins...

lottpaul wrote: »
    Don't rule out Sinn Féin as part of that either - have just heard a SF spokesperson explain that when SF says it won't be a minority part of Govt it doesnt mean they have to be the largest party (?) it just means they have to be an "equal" part of Govt. Sounds confusing but I think they mean they are open to offers. The bargaining begins...

Fianna Fail or Fine Gael wouldn't enter into coalition with Sinn Fein
    Billy Kelleher of Fianna Fail ruled it out yesterday it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Early polling from Des Cahill.

MHR: 24.7%
    JB: 12.2%
    MF: 12%
    DHR: 11%
    BG: 9.9%
    JD: 8.8%

Spring and Moriarty are on 6.2%

That would look like both Healy Raes are going to get seats,
    Looking again, Ferris might be in for a little bit of squeaky bum time as he prob won't get a huge amount of second preferences

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Advertisement