Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry candidates in GE 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

If Danny HR gets elected I'm going down to their pub to get stone drunk. Hope I don't get caught by the guards on the way home - wait a minute! Danny might get me off with his driving whilst drunk policy. It's like Dogpatch down there, and Yosemite Sam must be their director of elections. Just too depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tallies at 10.30 show…
    Brassil, John, FF – 2,469

Corcorcan, Donal, Renua – 171

Deenihan, Jimmy, FG – 1,835

Ferris, Martin, SF – 2,215

Finucane, Brian, PBP/AAA – 217

Fitzgerald, Michael, Green Party – 174

Fitzgibbon, Mary, Ind – 164

Gaynor, Henry, Ind – 50

Griffin, Brendan, FG – 1,941

Healy-Rae, Danny, Ind – 2,313

Healy-Rae, Michael, Ind – 5,280

Moriarty, Norma, FF – 984

Murphy, Kevin, Ind – 110

O’Donnell, Grace, FG – 148

O’Gorman, Michael Pixie, Ind – 433

Spring, Arthur, Lab – 1,015

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

CcNvHMTW8AAF8cv.jpg

Latest from Des Cahill's Twitter.

A Healy Rae 1-2 is all but confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Both Healy Raes and Brassil probably in...means Deenihan, Ferris and Griffin fighting for 2 out of 3 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Going to be tight for the last two spots.

• Advertisement

Griffin overtaking Ferris. Would mean that FG likely to take last 2 seats based on better transferabilty. MHR's transfers will be interesting.

Estimated quota is over 13,350 and estimated turnout is 68.8 per cent.

Tallies at 12 noon show:

Brassil, John, FF – 3,720

Corcorcan, Donal, Renua – 366

Deenihan, Jimmy, FG – 3,170

Ferris, Martin, SF – 4,043

Finucane, Brian, PBP/AAA – 383

Fitzgerald, Michael, Green Party – 277

Fitzgibbon, Mary, Ind – 269

Gaynor, Henry, Ind – 92

Griffin, Brendan, FG – 3,351

Healy-Rae, Danny, Ind – 4,562

Healy-Rae, Michael, Ind – 9,282

Moriarty, Norma, FF – 1,812

Murphy, Kevin, Ind – 208

O’Donnell, Grace, FG – 342

O’Gorman, Michael Pixie, Ind – 602

Spring, Arthur, Lab – 1,951

Estimated quota is over 13,105 and estimated turnout is 67.5 per cent.

Tallies at 1pm noon show:

Brassil, John, FF – 5,234

Corcorcan, Donal, Renua – 521

Deenihan, Jimmy, FG – 4,644

Ferris, Martin, SF – 6,113

Finucane, Brian, PBP/AAA – 623

Fitzgerald, Michael, Green Party – 505

Fitzgibbon, Mary, Ind – 407

Gaynor, Henry, Ind – 122

Griffin, Brendan, FG – 4,328

Healy-Rae, Danny, Ind – 5,816

Healy-Rae, Michael, Ind – 12,020

Moriarty, Norma, FF – 2,247

Murphy, Kevin, Ind – 315

O’Donnell, Grace, FG – 529

O’Gorman, Michael Pixie, Ind – 938

Spring, Arthur, Lab – 3,032

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why are the Healy-Raes so popular? I'm not really into politics if I'm honest, i'm just curious as to what they offer? Apart from fixing potholes and roads. I know one lad who voted for Michael HR because he fixed a leaking pipe near his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

siblers wrote: »
    Why are the Healy-Raes so popular? I'm not really into politics if I'm honest, i'm just curious as to what they offer? Apart from fixing potholes and roads. I know one lad who voted for Michael HR because he fixed a leaking pipe near his house.

I think the answer is in your post, its been well known for years that if you need a job done (fix a pothole, get someone on a waiting list etc..) MHR has proved to be the man to go to. I think a lot of people in Kerry will appreciate this, generally speaking older parts of the electorate won't care if China's economy is on the brink of imploding, they want their medical card guaranteed and their local post office kept open.

Two HR brothers were just on RTE One and I think that's the point they were trying to get across anyway.

With the amalgamation of north and south Kerry I think the people of north Kerry have heard these stories of MHR and want him to represent them too.

Tallies at 2pm noon show:

Brassil, John, FF – 7,050

Corcorcan, Donal, Renua – 656

Deenihan, Jimmy, FG – 5,874

Ferris, Martin, SF – 8,259

Finucane, Brian, PBP/AAA – 823

Fitzgerald, Michael, Green Party – 662

Fitzgibbon, Mary, Ind – 528

Gaynor, Henry, Ind – 136

Griffin, Brendan, FG – 6,531

Healy-Rae, Danny, Ind – 7,505

Healy-Rae, Michael, Ind – 16,017

Moriarty, Norma, FF – 2,739

Murphy, Kevin, Ind – 356

O’Donnell, Grace, FG – 679

O’Gorman, Michael Pixie, Ind – 1,147

Spring, Arthur, Lab – 4,187

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

siblers wrote: »
    Because they are genuine people, who work night and day for their constituents, and they are straight shooters. I'm not from Kerry, in fact never been there but I'm happy to see theres a chance the 2 Healy-Raes will get in, I would have voted for them. If only there were strong independents like them elsewhere. People are tired of the same old party politics from the same parties, telling lies before elections and then delivering none of their promises. And its also important to look at the other candidates, many of which are so poor. The standard of candidates in Ireland is very poor in alot of areas, politics in this country is very unattractive prospect for many.

I know many people end up having to vote for who they dislike/hate the least, when you run through other candidates its easy to see why Healy Raes etc are so strong. Kerry is alot better of with people like these men, than powerless Backbenchers in the main parties who toe the line and disappear for several years, returning with more empty promises at election time.

I can tell you also that if the Healy Raes weren't around they would be missed. Other areas aren't so lucky and we have the usual clones in power. Sometimes they overplay the "people of Kerry" thing but at least they are out standing up for Kerry and it's interests. Rural Ireland has been pissed on by the current Government parties, and most other smaller parties don't care or have any base in Rural Ireland.

Tallies at 2pm noon show:

Brassil, John, FF – 7,050

Corcorcan, Donal, Renua – 656

Deenihan, Jimmy, FG – 5,874

Ferris, Martin, SF – 8,259

Finucane, Brian, PBP/AAA – 823

Fitzgerald, Michael, Green Party – 662

Fitzgibbon, Mary, Ind – 528

Gaynor, Henry, Ind – 136

Griffin, Brendan, FG – 6,531

Healy-Rae, Danny, Ind – 7,505

Healy-Rae, Michael, Ind – 16,017

Moriarty, Norma, FF – 2,739

Murphy, Kevin, Ind – 356

O’Donnell, Grace, FG – 679

O’Gorman, Michael Pixie, Ind – 1,147

Spring, Arthur, Lab – 4,187

Should be an interesting race for the last seat or two.
    Didn't expect both of the Healy Rae's to run away with it like this to be honest.

kerryked wrote: »
    Should be an interesting race for the last seat or two.
    Didn't expect both of the Healy Rae's to run away with it like this to be honest.

I didn't either but they have really taken the North Kerry vote and this has really affected the Ferris and especially the Deenihan vote

It looks like the people of North Kerry want what the people of South Kerry have had with the Healy Rae's and that is someone that will do their best to get things done,

I hope Brendan Griffin gets in ahead of Deenihan,as I said during the week Deenihan has got too comfortable and now faces a fight to keep his seat.

To be honest I would probably rather Brendan Griffin as the sole FG reprrsentative in Kerry rather than having Griffin representing the south and Deenihan covering the north. Think Griffin would do a better job representing a larger area than Deenihan would representing NK.

Also anyone see this ...have to have a bit of a laugh amid the chaos today I suppose :pac:

15:25 100% of ballot boxes tallied
    Michael Healy-Rae IND (25.9%) 20,400 first preferences

Danny Healy-Rae IND (12.7%) 9959

Brendan Griffin FG 9602 (12.2%)

Martin Ferris SF 9212 (11.7%)

John Brassil, FF 8055 (10.2%)

Jimmy Deenihan FG 6438 (8.2%)

Arthur Spring LAB 4692 (6%)

Norma Moriarty FF 4394 (5.6%)

Michael Pixie O'Gorman IND 1,209 (1.5%)

Brian Finucane AAA/PBP 972 (1.2%)

Michael Fitzgerald Greens 955 (1.2%)

Donal Corcoran Renua 782 (1%)

Grace O'Donnell FG 773 (1%)

Mary Fitzgibbon IND 617 (0.8%)

Kevin Murphy IND 472 (0.6%)

Henry Gaynor IND 141 (0.2%)

Going to be extremely tight for that final seat.

Ferris might yet be caught by Deenihan from transfers.

Other 4 seem certain.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Going to be extremely tight for that final seat.

Ferris might yet be caught by Deenihan from transfers.

Other 4 seem certain.

I agree, Ferris doesn't transfer well to my recollection, and if Fine Gael voters do things correctly they could squeeze him out whilst getting Deenihan and Griffin over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    I agree, Ferris doesn't transfer well to my recollection, and if Fine Gael voters do things correctly they could squeeze him out whilst getting Deenihan and Griffin over the line

The best outcome IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Will SF rue not running a "sweeper" in South kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It seems South Kerry voted are staying in South Kerry and North Kerry votes are going there!

Norma Moriarty votes should bring Brassil over the line (I hope!).

Do people not think that Brian Finucane and Pixie o Gormans votes will transfer to Martin Ferris?

And I think Deenihan didn't do enough canvassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I think he canvassed strongly in his comfort zone Listowel and hinterland but lacked presence in Tralee, Killarney and the rest of the county. Some candidates were out of the traps earlier (eg MHR and John Brassil ) and I think it will stand to them. I thought the sf campaign was not as strong and thoroughgoing in kerry as their campaigning elsewhere or in previous elections.

Just on the radio saying Fine Gael are worried that Spring's votes will go to Ferris due to both been from Tralee

I think he canvassed strongly in his comfort zone Listowel and hinterland but lacked presence in Tralee, Killarney and the rest of the county. Some candidates were out of the traps earlier (eg MHR and John Brassil ) and I think it will stand to them. I thought the sf campaign was not as strong and thoroughgoing in kerry as their campaigning elsewhere or in previous elections.

I live in Listowel. I thought his canvassing around here was awful. Where the rest of FG were is beyond me. Obviously wouldn't have expected Aoife Thornton owing to circumstances, but where was Mikey Kennelly? John Brassil had Jimmy Moloney, Niall Kelleher, Mark Daly, Ned O Sullivan.... Jimmy Deenihans vote collapsed in his own home; Brassil took as many votes as he did. He doesn't deserve to lose his seat but he really might.

And I'd agree that Sinn Fein wasn't great. I had people here canvassing for him and couldn't get a straight answer or even an ill find that out for you from them. We had no one from labour.

First count after 8pm

Re canvassing

John Brassil was the first to call to my door that was last July

The last to call to the door was a lad canvassing for Jimmy Deenihan that was last Thursday afternoon,

There was a member of Fine Gael on the radio there,

Jerry O'Sullivan was talking to him about Jimmy Deenihan and his poor showing in this election,this fella made out the biggest reason that Jimmy has polled so badly is down to his own supporters in his own area,"they got too comfortable" he said and they thought that just because he was a minister in the outgoing government that it was taken as a given that he would get a seat no bother.

That Roy Keane saying form 2002 springs to mind

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

According to Kerry's Eye FG have accepted Jimmy Deeniham will lose his seat. First count in about 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    According to Kerry's Eye FG have accepted Jimmy Deeniham will lose his seat. First count in about 30 minutes.

That's a bit premature, transfers could make a huge difference here, interesting.

Advertisement