Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry candidates in GE 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    That's a bit premature, transfers could make a huge difference here, interesting.

I thought so too. The tallies had him about 2000 behind, so unless they've been rallying the no 2s too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

A pure mess. Two Healy-Rae's does confuse things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Might be a stupid question but what will happen to Jimmy Denehan and all the the other TDs if they lose their seat? Will they have to go out and get regular jobs like us?

It really is a mess.

Jimmy Deenihan will get a pension now. Arthur Spring will need a job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

cyning wrote: »
    It really is a mess.

Jimmy Deenihan will get a pension now. Arthur Spring will need a job!

He still has his juice bar in manor ;)

Yerra he's grand so!

Finally a first count in. Michael Healy Rae with over 20,000 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Had to zone out for awhile. What's happening now? Have people been eliminated? What's happening with Deenihan?

acequion wrote: »
    Had to zone out for awhile. What's happening now? Have people been eliminated? What's happening with Deenihan?

Early days yet, prob get a few independents eliminated quickly... Depends on transfers etc, but if I was Deenihan I'd be worried alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Has Spring no chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Has Spring no chance?

Practically very little chance and Deenihan looks to be going out the gate as well

Has Spring no chance?

Spring has 4813. Jimmy Deenihan has 6489 and looks like he is losing his seat. So no chance.

Danny Healy Rae benefiting from his brother's surplus is a given

But of what is left over of his surplus is what's going to be interesting and it will be interesting to seeing who will get the bulk of what is left over

On the 10 o clock news on Radio Kerry they were saying outside of Danny Healy Rae,Martin Ferris,John Brassil,Brendan Griffin and Norma Moriarty were all doing well out of the transfers

I think the timing of Danny Healy Rae's entry to the election caught the rest cold and leaving it so late didn't give them the time to react and run an extra candidate,

Im sure if Labour and Sinn Fein had the time again they would have ran an extra candidate to take on the Healy Rae's

The Healy Rae's have played a blinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

To the best of my knowledge, all those stall holders in the middle of Manor (juice bar, bun bar, barbers, phone cases) have been served notices to quit by the new owners of the retail park. So he may indeed have to find a new job.

kaiser31 wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, all those stall holders in the middle of Manor (juice bar, bun bar, barbers, phone cases) have been served notices to quit by the new owners of the retail park. So he may indeed have to find a new job.

He worked in a bank before that, I'm sure he'll be ok.
    Wonder if there will be any Seanad spots opening up

He worked for Anglo if I remember correctly. Jeeze he has ****e luck!

I sure he'll be well looked after.

I think the timing of Danny Healy Rae's entry to the election caught the rest cold and leaving it so late didn't give them the time to react and run an extra candidate,

Im sure if Labour and Sinn Fein had the time again they would have ran an extra candidate to take on the Healy Rae's

The Healy Rae's have played a blinder

The timing was genius. I wonder will Tom Fleming be getting DHR council seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The timing was genius. I wonder will Mike Fleming be getting DHR council seat?

Yeah heard the deal was done - however Tom has to change his surname to Healy-Rae first thing tomorrow morning as a sign of his due deference to be adopted into the clan as an outsider.

He worked for Anglo if I remember correctly. Jeeze he has ****e luck!

I sure he'll be well looked after.

Labour will have very few Seanad spots as they only have a limited enough number of councillors after the locals. Not being in government they will be in a very limited position to hand out goodies and those they do are likely to go to those who might have a chance next time out, so not a hope Spring will be getting anything from the Labour party.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Yeah heard the deal was done - however Tom has to change his surname to Healy-Rae first thing tomorrow morning as a sign of his due deference to be adopted into the clan as an outsider.

Tom! I meant Tom!

Stranger things have happened. Are happening 😂

Labour will have very few Seanad spots as they only have a limited enough number of councillors after the locals. Not being in government they will be in a very limited position to hand out goodies and those they do are likely to go to those who might have a chance next time out, so not a hope Spring will be getting anything from the Labour party.

I'm not so sure, he's one of the brighter lights in the party, was vocal in the dáil and I would presume that they would want to keep him in the public eye for the next election inside the next 2 years

Tom! I meant Tom!

Yeah I knew who you meant.

Personally I'd be doubtful as to whether they will give Tom a council seat - I think they are far more likely to pass it on to the next generation.

Just having a look nationally, and even within Kerry, Sinn Fein haven't done as well as was expected.
    We've just had a govt that was hated, and the previous mob were (we were told) never going to get back into government... And yet Sinn Fein haven't made any real significant progress.
    Chances are that it will be a FG & FG coalition and Sinn Fein will be shouting from the sidelines.

Yeah I knew who you meant.

Personally I'd be doubtful as to whether they will give Tom a council seat - I think they are far more likely to pass it on to the next generation.

Mayhaps. But they'd want to be careful that the electorate don't get Healy Rae fatigue. Two in government & two more in local government are an awful lot of Healy Raes.

Just having a look nationally, and even within Kerry, Sinn Fein haven't done as well as was expected.
    We've just had a govt that was hated, and the previous mob were (we were told) never going to get back into government... And yet Sinn Fein haven't made any real significant progress.
    Chances are that it will be a FG & FG coalition and Sinn Fein will be shouting from the sidelines.

They will claim that doubling their seats will be a success in some way, but I think they do need to change leader,like during the week when he was having trouble with the figures again he just threw that problem over to Pierce Doherty

As re Kerry,

Before Danny Healy Rae entered the race,I think Sinn Fein were hopeful of getting a lot of transfers off Michael Healy Rae enough that would get Martin Ferris elected but then the Healy Rae's turned the whole race upside down

They will claim that doubling their seats will be a success in some way, but I think they do need to change leader,like during the week when he was having trouble with the figures again he just threw that problem over to Pierce Doherty

Yeah, but the new leader won't be Doherty or Mary Lou.
    Sinn Fein is an all ireland party , but their core supoortbis based norty of the border, their next leader will have to be a stormont minister

Yeah, but the new leader won't be Doherty or Mary Lou.
    Sinn Fein is an all ireland party , but their core supoortbis based norty of the border, their next leader will have to be a stormont minister

Maybe if they want to get places in the south they might have to change and split the party.

But that is never going to happen.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure, he's one of the brighter lights in the party, was vocal in the dáil and I would presume that they would want to keep him in the public eye for the next election inside the next 2 years

Nah - Spring's vote First Preference Vote decreased by 50% - there's no way he's coming back from that kind of performance, especially when you remember that Graham only barely got across the line in the locals in Tralee.

I could easily see Labour throw in behind Moloney in Killarney - there's very little in the way of strong candidates around Killarney and it would be a lot easier pick up a chunk of the Killarney vote there than going against Taoreasa in Tralee who will be running for SF next time out.

Advertisement