Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best dog brushes

• 12-01-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am looking for some advice about grooming my dog. I have a 6 month old golden retriever and I am wondering about the correct hair brushes to use on his coat, particularly as he is now shedding a lot. What brushes would you recommend? I am currently using a double sided brush but am wondering about better products to remove the shedding hair so I don't have to hoover all day long ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I am looking for some advice about grooming my dog. I have a 6 month old golden retriever and I am wondering about the correct hair brushes to use on his coat, particularly as he is now shedding a lot. What brushes would you recommend? I am currently using a double sided brush but am wondering about better products to remove the shedding hair so I don't have to hoover all day long ;)

Can't recommend a brush I'm afraid - but try adding salmon oil to his food each day this helps with reduced shedding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Rake http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0249/3501/products/undercoat_rake_1.jpg?v=1415475113 Great for getting out loose undercoat, especially when a dog is blowing their coat.

And a slicker. http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/RP4AAOSwHmhV8EBL/s-l225.jpg Great for tangles and generally brushing out loose top coat.

Avoid bristle brushes and Furminators, both wouldn't be very good for a Goldie coat.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 oliviablond

Thanks for sharinf these useful links!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I find this one brilliant for one of my GR's - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gripsoft-Grooming-Double-Undercoat-Rake/dp/B0006349TY ....but my other one doesn't have an undercoat like him so not really any good for her - the kong zoom groom works better for her though. For both I find a pin brush very good - it's just a cheapo one with pins on one side and bristles on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lithium1376

Having taken the advice, I have bought an undercoat rake and a slicker. The undercoat rake has saved my sanity!! Don't need the slicker as much as he has no mats but then I use the pin and bristle brush to remove what the rake has loosened. Result! So thanks again, you've no idea the difference those brushes have made to my pups coat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Having taken the advice, I have bought an undercoat rake and a slicker. The undercoat rake has saved my sanity!! Don't need the slicker as much as he has no mats but then I use the pin and bristle brush to remove what the rake has loosened. Result! So thanks again, you've no idea the difference those brushes have made to my pups coat!

Yay! I personally find the slicker great for behind the ears, the tail/bum area and the feathering on the legs. Sometimes the rake can pull the hair a bit if used on those areas. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lithium1376

VonVix wrote: »
    Yay! I personally find the slicker great for behind the ears, the tail/bum area and the feathering on the legs. Sometimes the rake can pull the hair a bit if used on those areas. :o

Good idea, I haven't used the rake on the ears, I just used the bristle brush because I felt the rake would hurt, might try the slicker there as well

Advertisement