Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspect: SouthEast vs NorthWest

Options
  • 12-01-2016 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

We're looking to buy a house and are looking seriously at 2 houses in the same estate (built late 70s). For one the back of the house is south east facing and for the other its north west. The back garden in both is approx. 9m long.

Everything else being equal which would you consider better? I'm leaning towards the SE facing one as you should get the sun up to about 4pm judging by suncalc.net.

But I guess the NW facing garden would get lovely evening sun in the summer from 4pm onwards and get sun directly on the front of the house earlier in the day. But at this time of year the garden would get next to no direct sunlight...

Neither of us are very keen gardeners or anything, we're more looking at it from the view of maximising the likely solar gain through the kitchen windows and large sliding doors in the dining room. Though we'd obviously prefer the garden wasn't a dead marsh either :D

Any one have any experiences on living on houses with similar aspects and which they would prefer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What's the cost difference? If they're the same, no reason to not get the south-easterly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

What's the cost difference? If they're the same, no reason to not get the south-easterly one.

I thought as much Michael, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. They're both about the same price and condition wise and the seller for the one with the SE facing garden seems to be more motivated (the house is currently sitting empty) while the NW facing one is occupied. So it looks like a no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Do yourself a favor and look at the properties on something like google earth if you haven't already. EA's can be very 'flexible' when it comes to describing the aspect of the garden.

A mostly north facing 9M back Garden will get very little sun all year around, at this latitude the sun doesn't rise exactly in the east and set exactly in the west, it more rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest(this was wrong). So everything else being equal, I would go with the south facing garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Do yourself a favor and look at the properties on something like google earth if you haven't already. EA's can be very 'flexible' when it comes to describing the aspect of the garden.

A mostly north facing 9M back Garden will get very little sun all year around, at this latitude the sun doesn't rise exactly in the east and set exactly in the west, it more rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest. So everything else being equal, I would go with the south facing garden.

This isn't true. On the equinox the sun rises and sets exactly in the east/west. In summer it appears further north and in winter appears further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Ok I stand very much corrected. Good link Cuddlesworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I recommend downloading Google sketch up and drawing up the new house + surrounding houses. You can then put in the longitude and latitude and run shadows + sun profiles for the year.

It takes a little getting used to but it's not nearly as complicated as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Everyone seems to prefer a south facing back garden but in the summer you get no sun in your back garden in the afternoons and evenings which is when most people use their gardens. South facing gardens get great sun in the winter but who uses it then?

We have a NW facing back garden - its great in the summer in the afternoons and in the winter we never use the garden so it doesnt matter.

A mostly north facing 9M back Garden will get very little sun all year around, at this latitude the sun doesn't rise exactly in the east and set exactly in the west, it more rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest(this was wrong). So everything else being equal, I would go with the south facing garden.

I checked it myself with a compass app on my phone during the viewings and on google maps/suncalc.net afterwards so the orientation is as I've described it. I'd be pretty vary about taking a estate agents word on anything, especially something that can be easily verified!

I recommend downloading Google sketch up and drawing up the new house + surrounding houses. You can then put in the longitude and latitude and run shadows + sun profiles for the year.

It takes a little getting used to but it's not nearly as complicated as you'd think.

That's not a bad idea, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When will you typically be at home? Daytime or evenings? Is morning or afternoon sun more important to you?

When will you typically be at home? Daytime or evenings? Is morning or afternoon sun more important to you?

I think this is where my uncertainty stems from to be honest! I don't know! In the current rental house we live in we have a small south west facing garden and I find it great for drying clothes when the weathers good but we never use it other than that. We're both out at work from 9-6.

We're expecting our first child in 3 months so I guess our priorities might change and the garden might get more use after that. Also when its our own garden and not the dull patch our landlord occasionally cuts the grass on I'd hope to plant some stuff etc... (famous last words!)

Argh! Decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to prefer a south facing back garden but in the summer you get no sun in your back garden in the afternoons and evenings which is when most people use their gardens. South facing gardens get great sun in the winter but who uses it then?

We have a NW facing back garden - its great in the summer in the afternoons and in the winter we never use the garden so it doesnt matter.

Ah I was thinking of the knock on effect in the house. ie any south element will give more warmth. All the old rural houses were built facing south, with their windowless and doorless backs firmly to the north. The coldest house I ever lived or existed in was a fairly ,modern build that had been built to face the road and got no sun at all. Never got warm in there and no light.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think this is where my uncertainty stems from to be honest! I don't know! In the current rental house we live in we have a small south west facing garden and I find it great for drying clothes when the weathers good but we never use it other than that. We're both out at work from 9-6.

We're expecting our first child in 3 months so I guess our priorities might change and the garden might get more use after that. Also when its our own garden and not the dull patch our landlord occasionally cuts the grass on I'd hope to plant some stuff etc... (famous last words!)

Argh! Decisions!

Start with big plantpots and containers..... The results will inspire you ;)

Advertisement