Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Gigs 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm one of the older generation as well, but Drake does have some solid jams and one of his albums is actually really good.
    Still don't want to see him play though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

No wonder I couldnt get tickets for Drake this morning at 9am ,the onsale was moved last minute to 8am.
    What a shower of gangsters MCD and Ticketmaster are .
    Tickets to see Drake play two shows in Dublin next year have sold out on Friday morning.
    The 29-year-old Canadian artist is bringing his Boy Meets World tour to the 3arena and tickets, which cost from €85, went on sale at 8am on Friday for his show on February 19th.
    About 15 minutes later, promoter MCD Productions said it added an extra show for February 20th due to demand.
    The time of the sale was originally set for 9am, but was changed to an earlier time the day before, much to the frustration of some fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    No interest in KRS or Drake for me.

I wouldn't pay that money for Drake.
    And I dont want to hear a sermon between songs from KRS.

He cancelled here a couple of times, I think one of the times he was outside the venue in a car but started demanding more money to perform. When it wasn't forthcoming he left. I think that was KRS, pretty sure it was.

I was there that night, it was in the music centre. An absolute farce I'd never go to him again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

KRS won't actually appear at his gigs in Dublin anymore cos Puretone has a hit out on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Masta Ace December 10th, same crowed who are bringing Krs-one over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

KRS won't actually appear at his gigs in Dublin anymore cos Puretone has a hit out on him.

haha oh the memories that come flooding back, i think Puretone had a price on all our heads at one stage.
    No interest in KRS or Drake for me.

I wouldn't pay that money for Drake.
    And I dont want to hear a sermon between songs from KRS.

He cancelled here a couple of times, I think one of the times he was outside the venue in a car but started demanding more money to perform. When it wasn't forthcoming he left. I think that was KRS, pretty sure it was.

I would be with you on KRS, he's like the Bono of rappers - undeniable the contribution he's made to our music but my god he talks some utter crap.

I too couldn't name a drake song. There are very few artists that could attract me into a big arena like that.

That's class, it's a Saturday as well makes it even better

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

That's class, it's a Saturday as well makes it even better

There couldn't be a more appropriate username.

I think i found my next old fogeys re unite gig, thanks for the heads up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Eric b and rakim have reformed , going out on tour , someone book vicar street now and electric picnic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

peteeeed wrote: »
    Eric b and rakim have reformed , going out on tour , someone book vicar street now and electric picnic

New music on the way too, with none other than Lord Quas joining the team for the tour and album. It's a combo I never thought of, but it sounds like it could be epic!

quasi.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure if that is legit, I think that Madlib (Quas) has inserted himself into album covers in the past for laughs.

In relation to upcoming gigs, I think this is what we have:

Mick Jenkins - Nov 16th
    KRS One - voodoo lounge 18th November
    Slick Rick - 29th Nov - The Sugar Club
    Masta Ace - December 10th
    Drake - Next FEB
    Chance The Rapper - I think he's doing a few dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Was hoping The Weeknd would do one night in Dublin- he's just after announcing his tour dates and of course nada in Ireland :(

Not sure if that is legit, I think that Madlib (Quas) has inserted himself into album covers in the past for laughs.

In relation to upcoming gigs, I think this is what we have:

Mick Jenkins - Nov 16th
    KRS One - voodoo lounge 18th November
    Slick Rick - 29th Nov - The Sugar Club
    Masta Ace - December 10th
    Drake - Next FEB
    Chance The Rapper - I think he's doing a few dates.

Don't forget the next big one :D

Danny Brown Nov 14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

snowgoons
    reef the lost Cauze and Ill Bill
    Live in Cork in December 17th

how the **** dublin missed out on this i'll never know

https://twitter.com/seanmckt/status/794812639553744896/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

Lads any1 know the story for Krs-one on Friday ? Is it the same promoters as Onyx ? Just wondering as don't want to get in for about 10 and have to wait like 2 hours b4 his show enduring 20lads shouting into microphones…

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Lads any1 know the story for Krs-one on Friday ? Is it the same promoters as Onyx ? Just wondering as don't want to get in for about 10 and have to wait like 2 hours b4 his show enduring 20lads shouting into microphones…

It's different promoters this time around, the last guys where Bloodshed, this time around its Street Smart who done the DJ Premo gig and also have Masta Ace coming up.

DJ Flip is the support act for KRS as well, so he'll be spinning some hip hop jams....and not 20 other lads queuing up for the mic.

Any reports from the KRS gig, did you go Boom Bap?

The Game announced for The Wright Venue on 22nd Dec although it's probably already sold out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

chance the rapper has cancelled

MCD
    It is with regret that Chance the Rapper has to cancel the remainder of his European tour due to personal reasons. These are 2 shows at the Helix in Dublin and 1 show at the Apollo in Manchester. He sends his apologies for this and looks forward to returning to Europe in 2017. Refunds are available from point of purchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

tossy wrote: »

Fairly disappointing, he spent more time rambling on & shouting "this is real hip hop" (not quite sure what he was talking about) then performing. He opened with 3 or 4 tracks then pretty much stopped with the odd "unplanned" freestyle thrown in. These 80's early 90's acts that are getting booked by promoters trying to make a name for themselves are starting to get tiresome in terms of not putting on a show. Also might be time for people to start looking for an alternative venue then voodoo (all just my opinion)

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Fairly disappointing, he spent more time rambling on & shouting "this is real hip hop" (not quite sure what he was talking about) then performing. He opened with 3 or 4 tracks then pretty much stopped with the odd "unplanned" freestyle thrown in. These 80's early 90's acts that are getting booked by promoters trying to make a name for themselves are starting to get tiresome in terms of not putting on a show. Also might be time for people to start looking for an alternative venue then voodoo (all just my opinion)

I don't know about the not putting on a show,were you at the Pete rock/CL gig ? Rakim was also great when he played here.

Thanks for letting me know how it went anyway - appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

When was the Rusangano Family gig in Whelan's announced? I only saw it now. At a bit of a loose end tonight. Would probably have gone. Great few days for hip hop in Ireland.

Rusangano tonight. Slick Rick on Tuesday. Talib on Thursday.

tossy wrote: »

Nope, I'd never go to a KRS gig...but apparently it was great,m he went through all the classics and wasn't overly preachy.

Slick Rick was on the other night, I completely forgot about it, but aparently not great as he was only half performing songs and letting the crowd do the rest.

Not bothered on Talib either, seen him before and it was alright, but like KRS, he just rubs me the wrong way.

Sound was atrocious at slick rick, music too low or loud depending the song, couldn't hear his mic, then it'd be too loud, he didn't play for long either? Dj Mek was great beforehand though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Glad I didn't buy tickets so but how hard is it to get the sound right in a venue like that where they have a sound man

Slick's job sounds easy.....

"Lodi Dodi, We likes to ........... " and then let the crowd take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The DJ was turning the volume up and down 20 times per track. Definitely didn't make for the best sound. Mek as mentioned earlier was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Who is supporting Drake in the 3Arena?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mcbumhole

showpony1 wrote: »
    Who is supporting Drake in the 3Arena?

Anderson .paak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Mcbumhole wrote: »
    Anderson .paak

isnt that who is supporting Bruno Mars?

Advertisement