Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insurance cover if scammed on bike sale?

• 12-01-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi folks,

Bit of a random question, I'm emigrating and need to sell my bike. I've negotiated a decent price with a "we buy any car" type service here in the UK but they want to take the bike away and clear the finance once they have checked it over. The bike is only 6 months old so even at full value there will still be a small finance shortfall which I will need to clear.

I've done checks on the company and they seem legit and I can hold on to the transfer of ownership part of the reg docs until I am happy finance is cleared but there is still a nagging voice saying "what if it's a scam?"!

If it is and they take the bike without paying off the finance I assume that my fully comp insurance covers it as a theft? The fact that it's a scam rather than them just wheeling it away doesn't alter that does it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

No. Loss or damage by deception is usually excluded by most policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi folks,

Bit of a random question, I'm emigrating and need to sell my bike. I've negotiated a decent price with a "we buy any car" type service here in the UK but they want to take the bike away and clear the finance once they have checked it over. The bike is only 6 months old so even at full value there will still be a small finance shortfall which I will need to clear.

I've done checks on the company and they seem legit and I can hold on to the transfer of ownership part of the reg docs until I am happy finance is cleared but there is still a nagging voice saying "what if it's a scam?"!

If it is and they take the bike without paying off the finance I assume that my fully comp insurance covers it as a theft? The fact that it's a scam rather than them just wheeling it away doesn't alter that does it?

I know someone who's car was stolen when they where showing it to a potential buyer, they had to take the loss as they handed the keys over. Unless force is used it's not an insurance issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

they want to take the bike away and clear the finance once they have checked it over.

Oh Hell NO, Cash in Person only.

You want a test ride? I hold your cash while you ride, you break it you buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Oh Hell NO, Cash in Person only.

You want a test ride? I hold your cash while you ride, you break it you buy it

Don't forget to make sure it's cash your holding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't forget to make sure it's cash your holding.
    And genuine cash as well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement