Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupon Issue - Misleading Advertising

Options
  • 12-01-2016 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought an enrollment for an online course on Groupon.

I've since raised it with them that the advertisement was misleading, as it neglected to mention that additional exam fees were required at the end in order to obtain a qualification.

Groupon agreed and offered a refund, but only in the form of site credit.

I realise they can't repair or replace the initial product/service I bought due to the nature of the problem, but shouldn't I be entitled to have my card refunded rather than just "store" credit?

What's the relevant legislature around this? I can't find a specific section of the Sale of Goods... act that states what the consumer is actually entitled to.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think this FAQ covers this. https://www.groupon.ie/faq#general_questions_and_feedback::how_does_buying_a_voucher_work_legally and the T&Cs https://www.groupon.ie/terms_and_conditions/local

When you buy something on Groupon you are buying a voucher which can be used towards anything on the site. You then redeem that voucher for the online course. Your contract with Groupon is for the voucher not for the course, that's between you and the course provider, so Groupon are not obliged to refund you in monetary terms for the course.

However, you can cancel the purchase of the voucher within 14 days of purchase from Groupon under your statutory rights (See Sect 5 T&Cs). Normally by redeeming the voucher you lose that right to cancel but you may have a good argument considering Groupon agreed the course was not as described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Thanks slimjimmc.

Called them up again and they agreed to refund the card eventually so issue sorted.

Advertisement