If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a new TV :)

Options
  • 12-01-2016 5:18pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

So my current 50" Sammy plasma has seen better days, suffering a bit of burn in.
    I'm looking for a replacement, budget is about €1500
    I'd ideally like a future proof set, but am not too hung up on the Smart TV /3D side of things as I don't use them and my xbox/apple TV are used for media centres.

I'd like 4k and the TV max size has to be 50", maybe 51" at a squeeze, a bit smaller is fine.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

mik_da_man wrote: »
    So my current 50" Sammy plasma has seen better days, suffering a bit of burn in.
    I'm looking for a replacement, budget is about €1500
    I'd ideally like a future proof set, but am not too hung up on the Smart TV /3D side of things as I don't use them and my xbox/apple TV are used for media centres.

I'd like 4k and the TV max size has to be 50", maybe 51" at a squeeze, a bit smaller is fine.
    €1500 - nice budget - you will get a cracker for that!

Flat or Curved?

Keep us posted and we will revert asap :)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I haven't considered curved tbh, are they any use? Any advantage?
    For where its going flat would likely suit better.

I haven't considered curved tbh, are they any use? Any advantage?
    For where its going flat would likely suit better.
    Look sexy, but I'm still looking for a decent reason to try one myself - if it was me I'd stick to Flat ( unless of course it was: https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201709-viera-tx65cz952b.aspx :D )

OK back in the real world...

..and going for bust straight off, breaking the rules and the budget - I think the best option 'around' your budget is the Panasonic TX50CX802 - its just exceptional!

Have a look here:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201471-viera-tx50cx802b.aspx

If you would prefer a Sammy - them I'd look at the UE48JU7000
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201231-ue48ju7000.aspx
     http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue48ju7000/review

Sneaks in under the budget this time at just €1279..

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Cheers John, a panny was in my mind, have had Samsung the last while and they are decent but I think the panny are a step above.

BTW your link for the Samsung seems to be missing info. No pic on your site...

Cheers John, a panny was in my mind, have had Samsung the last while and they are decent but I think the panny are a step above.

BTW your link for the Samsung seems to be missing info. No pic on your site...
    Yeah - I spotted that and its doing my brains in at the moment :( ..

I agree on the Panasonics - great pictures and in my opinion a far more natural pic in general than the Sammys - but again the CX802 series are pretty exceptional ( to be fair even the CX680 is brill and a complete bargain!)

In stock and ready to ship if you want to take the plunge :D 

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Hi John,

Do you have the width of those TV's?
    The current one has a stand in the centre and the cabinet it's on is narrower than the TV, so if the stands are the full width of the TV it may pose an issue...

Hi John,

Do you have the width of those TV's?
    The current one has a stand in the centre and the cabinet it's on is narrower than the TV, so if the stands are the full width of the TV it may pose an issue...
    Milk,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - I had an ill-deserved day off yesterday hence the delay..

The 48JU7000 should be fine as it has a centre pedestal - its 1087mm wide in total but the pedestal is a good bit shorter than that - you can see the pic here:
    http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/SAMS-UE48JU7000/Samsung+Ue48ju7000.html

The Panasonic TX50CX802 has a full width pedestal so it may give you an issue - have a look at it here:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201471-viera-tx50cx802b.aspx

The total width of the Pana is 1121mm wide

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.