Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games would you be willing to buy on launch day?

• 12-01-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Personally, I have three.

Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm about halfway through ME2 at present and I... I just can't put it down. I'm obsessed. I honestly think this is one of the best series I've ever played.

The Elder Scrolls 6. I loved Skyrim. I'm loving Oblivion. I can't wait to start Morrowind. I've heard the next one might be set in Elseweyr, which would be interesting. Obviously nothing's confirmed though. I'm excited to find out.

The next GTA. I'll definitely be buying this on launch day whenever it comes out. I'm in no major hurry for this one though, because barring GTA V the last one I played was San Andreas, so I've a bit of catching up to do here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've slowly started edging away from release day games.

The usual yearly one is CoD. I'll get that on release day, but i don't do midnight releases for it anymore. If i don't like it, i just trade it back in fairly quick, just like Ghosts.

Aside from that, I don't think there are any games which i would get on release. ME:A would certainly make me want to get it, but i'm not sure. If they released a new Destruction Derby or Legacy of Kain, i would be all over it.

Oh, i'll probably get Psychonauts 2 on release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I have also slowly started to move away from buying games on release day. Last one i bought was Fallout 4 and before that was Bloodborne. Games don't hold their value anymore these days with so many sales on steam and sites like G2A where you can even get new releases quite cheap. Even console games which were notorious for being full price for a very long time after release are now dropping in price shortly after with sales on PSN/Live and sites that deliver physical copies. Even places like Argos have new releases at a discount and games on sale for half price every other month.

As for the OPs question :o

Darkest Dungeon, X-Com 2 and Dark Souls 3 for games on the horizon. Love the Mass Effect series but just don't know enough about Andromeda yet to say ill get it on release. And Tekken 7 but who the **** knows when that will be released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

New home console releases of Zelda and Metroid, simply because they're great franchises and being Nintendo games, they're unlikely to drop in price any time soon anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Tom Clancy's The Division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Normally I don't do launch day, the last one was for MGSV, and before that maybe Diablo 3? It's a serious rarity for me. But there are certain titles I'd gladly snap up right away, mainly console games that currently don't have a PC release. Mainly on principle because I think PC audiences lose out on a lot of games. I've been seriously tempted to preorder Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, but I'm planning to play Witcher 3 before that, so it'll have to wait. I did come close to grabbing it.

Bayonetta has been number 1 most wished for, and although it's been unlikely, Sega have been talking about doing more PC ports after the success of Valkyria Chronicles, and Vanquish is looking like one that'll be released (More platinum on PC, yay!). So if Bayonetta ever does see a release, I'll be all like SHUTUPANDTAKEMYMONEY! :eek:

Ni-Oh:

Currently a Playstation exclusive, but seeing as Helldivers has seen a PC release, and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is coming soon, we're already seeing PS exclusives coming to the PC as it is. Secondly, Koei Tecmo have already published quite a few titles on PC. Team Ninja are also aiming for the game to run at 60fps 1080p, so that kinda seems like performance that's aimed more at a PC audience than console, which isn't to say console audiences don't care, just that 30fps lock has been a big criticism of previous ports from Koei Tecmo, so it kinda sounds like they're getting ahead on that one.

Anyway, that would be another game that I'd gladly snatch up day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Moving away from Pre-orders and launch day. Been burned once too often. Fool me once.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Never done a launch day for a game. Then I am not an early adapter either. If the game is really worth playing today, it will be worth playing in 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nintendo first party games are generally the only games I'd be confident buying on launch day, mario world, zelda etc.

Though there are a few upcoming indie games I'm looking forward to that I'll probably buy on launch day, The Witness and Firewatch being the two that come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is a good thread for deciding on who should be allowed live in Cormacs New World once I finally go Postal and overthrow the shackles of modern rule and it's petty laws.

Those not including X-Com 2 in this thread will be the 1st to go, and I think we can all agree no-one will mourn them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'd like to say nothing... which for the last few years has been true.

However I honestly probably will buy Tekken 7 on launch day because I'm just a huge tekken fan. Still wary about performance, though... assuming it even gets a PC release. I bought Tekken 6 and TTT2 on launch day too. It's just one of those games.

And Dragon's Dogma on PC. I already know I like the game because I've cleared it... it's MT-Framework and beta testers have already said it runs perfectly fine on their mid-low tier machines. I don't really have a reason not to buy it now since I probably will play it day-1. I also want to feel the hype of playing it day-1 with the rest of the community that I talked about with this game and I'll probably be streaming it, too.

Beyond these I wouldn't buy anything else day-1, though. Even Devil May Cry which I'm a huge fan of but capcom's rep is just too bad for me to ever trust em' with day-1 purchases. Lots of other studios have lost my confidence too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Tom Clancy's The Division.

I wouldn't for an online only game, the servers are always in bits for the first few weeks with any Ubi and EA game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be a big believer in supporting indie games in particular at release - well, the ones you're interested in at least. Yeah they'll drop in price in sales and the like, but given a lot of these titles are being made for a reasonably small audience in the first place I'm more than happy to pay the original price (which is rarely particularly high anyway) to support them. Don't have the time to play everything I'd like to so sometimes it's practical and sensible to wait a while 'til a price drop, but when I admire what a project is doing I'm happy to go day one. Barring outrageously negative reviews, The Witness is next in line in that sense.

'Souls' games I'd also file as definite day one purchases, because there's a lot to be said for the giddy sense of discovery and community interaction that goes down in the early days of all those games. Dark Souls 3 I'm sure will be no different. The thread here I'm sure will be a joy to participate in as ever.

Persona 5 / The Last Guardian I'll be ordering at the earliest possible opportunity because it has been a long ****ing wait :)

Other than that, it's play it by ear. Wait for reviews and player feedback, don't pre-order. There's increasingly few AAA games I'm interested in, but the ones I am I don't mind paying full price for. All a matter of personal value - I don't place much value in volume of game, and would be just as willing to pick up a full price 'short' game than an epic RPG if the quality is there. But hey, there's so many games and so little time that most games I buy are inevitably discounted by the time I get around to picking them up - no point paying full price unless you plan to play them immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I wouldn't for an online only game, the servers are always in bits for the first few weeks with any Ubi and EA game.

The Division isn't online only is it? Pretty sure it was a campaign I was looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

GTA, been a fan for longer than I should have and have yet to be dissapointed.
    The only ones I haven't played are GTA Advance, Chinatown Wars and Vice City Stories.

Love the individual games and the series as a whole.

Only other one I can think of off the top of my head would be Mirrors Edge Catalyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Division

I have bought into the hype and am ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Persona 5
    Uncharted 4
    The Division

At least its not Duke Nukem forever...............(Koff Koff) I'm guilty of buying that on launch day :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The Division
    Gear of War 4

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Generally try and exercise a bit of restraint and wait for the inevitable day one patches and server issues to be sorted out, but i'm pretty sure i'll be grabbing these at launch:

Rocket League - been hugely jealous of PS owners since this rose to popularity. Xbox release is set for Feb so i'll be ready and waiting to get involved in the RC car/arena football action ASAP.

Overwatch - so far i've bought into the hype big time. Looks fast, colourful and frenetic. Plenty of character options and hopefully well balanced.

And i'd agree with previous people: barring some massive change in direction and style from Rockstar, getting the new GTA whenever it's out is kind of hard to resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

After being burned by Total War day 1 purchases - Rome 2 especially took months to be fixed I'm now very hesitant...

However X Com 2 - please hurry up time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Have stopped pre-ordering online based games. Always a ball ache trying to play them on day one.
    All I'm looking forward to in 2016 is Dark Souls 3.
    Will probably pre-order it soon actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Fbjm wrote: »
    Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm about halfway through ME2 at present and I... I just can't put it down. I'm obsessed. I honestly think this is one of the best series I've ever played.

Oh boy, wait till you play ME3.

Back when I was playing ME2, my opinion was the same as yours, best series ever. Then I played ME3, now there is no way I would pay full price for another EA Mass Effect game.

I think a new GTA or Red Dead (Redemption) would probably be day 1 purchases for me.

Followed by another R* made Max Payne game.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I think a new GTA or Red Dead (Redemption) would probably be day 1 purchases for me.

Given how well received Red Dead (Redemption) was and how much of a fan favourite you've gotta believe there's gonna be another one, right?

Although it has been a few years, would have liked to have heard something by now. R* do tend to take years to make these games unfortunately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I guess i've been lucky with launch day titles, and rarely have any major issues. MMO's are almost always a disaster, but that's about the only time i'd expect to have issues. No problems buying any games on launch day, especially if i've been looking forward to them.

Kiith wrote: »
    I guess i've been lucky with launch day titles, and rarely have any major issues. MMO's are almost always a disaster, but that's about the only time i'd expect to have issues. No problems buying any games on launch day, especially if i've been looking forward to them.

Sim City 2015, Batman Arkham Knight on PC, Skyrim, Recent Total War Games all say hello :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, had plenty of issues with Arkham Knight, but managed to fix most of them with some tweaking.

Skyrim worked perfectly though, and i've not bought a Total War at full price for a long time. Usually get them in a sale of the enhanced edition about a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I don't really do this any more, the last one was GTA V. I only get about two games a year now and usually get them pre-owned. I suppose the next Elder Scrolls (as long as it's better that ES online) or GTA would be possibilities.

Slightly tempted by UFC 2 but I'll likely leave it a few months. I have Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Dying Light to finish first.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    as long as it's better that ES online

God ESO was a nightmare. Anybody actually take to that game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If I thought my laptop would run it, XCOM2. Otherwise, close to none spring to mind.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

If I thought my laptop would run it, XCOM2. Otherwise, close to none spring to mind.

Not getting a new laptop for X-Com 2 you say?

*Cormac will remember that*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Cormac... wrote: »
    Not getting a new laptop for X-Com 2 you say?

*Cormac will remember that*

Currently grappling with that very temptation. Patience would be a doddle if it weren't for all the waiting.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement